UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Ear plugs vs baffles

Old 20-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
damo

Ear plugs vs baffles

Got a pair of Marving cans on my 620 with or without baffles, I usually ride with baffles and the sound is much better than standard cans.
Tried without baffles for about an hour the other day and got nice ringing ears and a mild headache but what a sound!
Today I tried without baffles but with ear plugs and -well- I'm not sure it sounds better to me as it seems my ear plugs are working too much
Maybe I could core my ear plugs..?
Old 20-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
Pomp1

An Mp3 complements the cans nicely
Old 20-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
Lowsider

neither and toughen up
Old 20-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
MagnaJeep

I can't really understand why fitting loud pipes and then wear earplugs?
Maybe other people beside you can't get along with the sound level either.

Don't get me wrong I have pipes that are not road legal, but I wouldn't
expect people wanting to hear the noise if i couldn't stand it myself.
Old 20-05-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
damo

Oh I don't mind hearing the sound at all, I love it!
It's just that an hour with the sound in the ears deafens me a bit, was trying to save my audition whilst still enjoying most of the sound.
That being said after the without plugs nor baffles session I may now be deaf enough to stand it
Old 20-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
uksurfer
Its all grey now

Bike: M1200s
IMHO (which will probably get me shot)
Anything that goes in your ears whilst riding is not good.

Get a better helmet?
________
FETISH JAPANESE

Last edited by uksurfer; 01-04-2011 at 01:40 AM..
uksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 12:04 AM   #7
alexkorff

man up!

My termignognis on my 2000 M900 sound like pavarotti (to me at least), and when I change down after a furious (but controlled) ride, they bank like shotguns - awesome
Old 21-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowsider View Post
neither and toughen up
Pardon?????????

I can't hear you - I'm going a bit deaf - it must be years of using no baffles or earplugs.
Old 21-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
I personally value my hearing as much as my eyesight and other senses

There are strict health and safety limits (at work) on exposure to noise, making it mandatory to wear ear defender/plugs in many locations. It's now medically proven that long term exposure to loud noise wrecks your hearing permanently, and by excessive we are only talking 80db+. The wind noise in many helmets at 70mph is often far higher than 80db, and that'll do more damage than a loud exhaust noise on longer rides.

I always wear plugs nowadays & have done for at least 10 years. My hearing's already suffered from 25 years of riding un-plugged in the 80's & 90's, and I want to protect what have left. To be honest riding any distance on straight through pipes (90db+) just gets on my tits now, and prefer to run db limiters.

By all means ride unplugged if you wish, but don't complain if you have to wear hearing aids or learn to lip read in later life. My Stepfather has acute industrial deafness caused by years of working (unprotected) for the paper mills, and it's not a huge barrel of laughs for him now.

Last edited by gary tompkins; 21-05-2009 at 10:27 AM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #10
uksurfer
Its all grey now

Bike: M1200s
is there not also HSE guidelines about wearing earplugs (headphones) etc in yard areas and warehouses where forklifts operate, going about 5 mph?
________
Weed

Last edited by uksurfer; 01-04-2011 at 01:40 AM..
uksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #11
damo

uksurfer> not a massive fan of having stuff up the ears either I've got an AGV Ti Tech which I think isn't too bad.

Chopped off the last third of the ear plugs and it now sounds much better without ears ringing!
Maybe I'll get softer ear plugs that don't remove too much dbs next time.
Old 21-05-2009, 09:14 PM   #12
mazydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary tompkins View Post
I personally value my hearing as much as my eyesight and other senses

There are strict health and safety limits (at work) on exposure to noise, making it mandatory to wear ear defender/plugs in many locations. It's now medically proven that long term exposure to loud noise wrecks your hearing permanently, and by excessive we are only talking 80db+.

By all means ride unplugged if you wish, but don't complain if you have to wear hearing aids or learn to lip read in later life. My Stepfather has acute industrial deafness caused by years of working (unprotected) for the paper mills, and it's not a huge barrel of laughs for him now.
Its all about taking things in moderation and being sensible, you can enjoy the sound of an exhaust that's open with some hearing protection and not put your health in danger, i also like the bonus of knowing other road users and pedestrians can hear as well as see me (yellow monster lights on white lid).

reduced hearing is an awful disability, i know health and safety gets some stick but a lot of lads in their 40`s 50`s 60`s from the construction industry would gladly turn back the clock.
Old 21-05-2009, 10:38 PM   #13
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
I dont wear earplugs as I hate the sense of being seperated from the surrounding environment they cause.
Most of the noise that'll affect your hearing is from wind noise through your helmet though.
Your exhaust note mostly benefits those behind you but its good to share sometimes.
Old 24-05-2009, 10:22 AM   #14
kenloen

I always wear earplugs, they take away the paranoia of all the sounds a bike makes, and actually lets you hear the things you need to hear (like rattling tappets)..

as well as making a ride more comfortable..

and saving my hearing..

does make me look stupid when I cant hear people talking to me though.

feel naked without them now, same as when I rode the bike to the shops in trainers.. feet felt bare without the protection of boots - I wont ever do that again either..
Old 24-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #15
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
I went out on my bike this morning and forgot to put my earplugs in. It was a bit loud, with the noise of the exhaust and the wind noise.
I won't be doing that again!