UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Valve shim kits?

Old 19-04-2020, 12:46 PM   #1
Joshua Brew

Bike: M1100evo
Valve shim kits?

Hi guys!

Where do people tend to buy valve shims if adjusting the clearance themselves? I’ve seen a kibblewhite kit on eBay from the good Ol U S of A for around £25, has anyone heard of these? They only go up in .1 increments so may not be suitable anyway. Can you buy specific sizes from dealers etc? The bike is an 1100evo.

Grazie
Joshua Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 01:04 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
yes, dealers sell individual shims

the kit on ebay seems way too cheap to me.
if i remember correctly, the last shims i bought were about £5 each for openers and £10 for closers from ducati. i have a couple of boxes (openers and closers) for my bikes with two each of the middle sizes (which was quite a significant initial investment) and i replace them if swapping out leaves me with less than two of a size.

you’ll need a closer measuring gauge too

also be aware your evo has 7mm valves not 8mm

Last edited by slob; 19-04-2020 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: checked ebay kit
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 03:54 PM   #3
slob

having read the detailed description on ebay again, i think what’s on offer are massively overpriced single shims, accompanied by a picture of a full kit. possibly a very misleading advert

Shim opener ducati 2.40mm - Kibblewhite by: KIBBLEWHITE

Specifically designed and manufactured for use with various Ducati 8 mm stem diameter valves found in most two (2V) bikes
All parts are heat-treated for optimal performance and processed with black oxide for corrosion resistance and durability
Will not deform over time
Multiple sizes available in 0,10 mm increments
Kits include 21 openers, one each 2,00-6,30 mm; 15 closers; 5,50-8,00 mm; closer measurement tool and convenient plastic storage box
Individual shims sold each
All components are thoroughly inspected
Made in the U.S.A.

i’d certainly check before ordering anything!

earlier 2v up to 900ie have 8mm valves
1000ds, x96 & 1100 have 7mm valves (as do 4v bikes)
Old 19-04-2020, 04:55 PM   #4
Joshua Brew

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
having read the detailed description on ebay again, i think what’s on offer are massively overpriced single shims, accompanied by a picture of a full kit. possibly a very misleading advert

Shim opener ducati 2.40mm - Kibblewhite by: KIBBLEWHITE

Specifically designed and manufactured for use with various Ducati 8 mm stem diameter valves found in most two (2V) bikes
All parts are heat-treated for optimal performance and processed with black oxide for corrosion resistance and durability
Will not deform over time
Multiple sizes available in 0,10 mm increments
Kits include 21 openers, one each 2,00-6,30 mm; 15 closers; 5,50-8,00 mm; closer measurement tool and convenient plastic storage box
Individual shims sold each
All components are thoroughly inspected
Made in the U.S.A.

i’d certainly check before ordering anything!

earlier 2v up to 900ie have 8mm valves
1000ds, x96 & 1100 have 7mm valves (as do 4v bikes)
Fair play! Well spotted! Il just give the dealer a buzz after double checking the measurements!
Old 19-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #5
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
I've got both 2v and 4v shim kits, bought them from EMS in the USA; https://emsduc.com/ Excellent quality and definitely worth buying if you're doing your own servicing.

Also fitted MBP valve retainers which are much better than the original half-rings and result in rarely needing to actually change shims, also got those from EMS.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 06:50 PM   #6
slob

One of my bikes has MBP collets, the other stock, I keep a few collets in a bag in one of the shim boxes in case I find a broken one during servicing.
I bought a couple of cheap fishing tackle boxes as I’m starting to accumulate a few 8mm shims now.
Old 19-04-2020, 06:57 PM   #7
Joshua Brew

Thanks for the info guys! Just to confirm the valves on a Evo are 7mm not 8mm?
Old 19-04-2020, 07:10 PM   #8
slob

yes 7mm on late model 2v like 1100evo
Old 20-04-2020, 04:13 AM   #9
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
I've got both 2v and 4v shim kits, bought them from EMS in the USA; https://emsduc.com/ Excellent quality and definitely worth buying if you're doing your own servicing.

Also fitted MBP valve retainers which are much better than the original half-rings and result in rarely needing to actually change shims, also got those from EMS.
The kits from EMS are not cheap especially when the VAT and import duties are added but they are worth having when doing valves as it means you have the shims to hand when doing the job, rather than starting, then waiting for shims, then finding that you really needed the shim one size larger or smaller.
I also went for the special collets in the hope they will not wear so quickly and the valves do not need doing again in my lifetime.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 07:31 AM   #10
Nasher

We need a club shim bank.

I know it means you wouldn't have them instantly, but I'm thinking you could order what you needed and sent your old ones to the bank for the price of both sets of postage plus a little bit to cover loss and damaged ones.

Nasher.
Old 20-04-2020, 08:24 AM   #11
jerry
Old Git

You cant beat EMS/duc kits for quality or value for long term use i have a 4v kit ,,
Old 20-04-2020, 09:03 AM   #12
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TSS View Post
The kits from EMS are not cheap especially when the VAT and import duties are added but they are worth having
Agreed but easily paid for itself after a couple of services at dealer rates, maybe just the one service for a 4 valve...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 11:15 AM   #13
FrankenDesmo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post

I know it means you wouldn't have them instantly, but I'm thinking you could order what you needed and sent your old ones to the bank for the price of both sets of postage plus a little bit to cover loss and damaged ones.

Nasher.
I would get behind this idea.
FrankenDesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 11:47 AM   #14
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Recently I was lucky enough to get hold of a secondhand EMS shim kit from a ukmoc member ... at a very decent price.
I'm glad I did but I'm not sure that I would go that way if I was paying full price.
The kits do contain a large selection of shims in a wide range of sizes but in my experience (limited though that is, admittedly) it is the shims in the middle of the range that are the most useful and I very much doubt if most of the larger or smaller shims would ever be needed.
On that basis, I think I would recommend just buying those odd shims that are needed from your local Ducati dealer and saving those which are replaced, building up a selection of spares in the more useful sizes that way.
Particularly at the moment when we have time on our hands, it makes more sense to put up with the wait for the shims to arrive, I reckon.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 12:00 PM   #15
slob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post

Nasher.
so who wants to step and run it, keep a speadsheet to make sure it’s all above board and be available almost all the time?