UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » The end is nigh

Old 12-05-2024, 10:33 PM   #1
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
The end is nigh

Well not quite but

Looks like 2040 is the end date for sales of new petrol powered bikes. Not totally offical yet but seems to be on the cards.
This is a move to green us up which is a bit odd considering that cars and taxis account for over 50% of the UK’s transport-related carbon emissions whilst motorcycles and mopeds represent just 0.5%.
Meanwhile the Department for Transport is taking steps to make low-powered electric motorcycles a more attractive transport option and views them as “dynamic, efficient and affordable… and too often overlooked”. They certainly aren't overlooked by ballied up youfs as far as I can see though.
For the sub 125 equivalents that's true I guess but the real performance bikes or any with a decent range still tend to be 15k ++.
Side note Kawasaki are still developing a hydrogen motor alongside electric options, still a concept but watch this space.
it'll be interesting to see what Ducati come up with

A neighbour got himself a zero a year or so ago, mostly though you see him out on his blade.
Old 13-05-2024, 02:47 PM   #2
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Yamaha/Toyota are the founders of the growing HYSE consortium developing hydrogen power ICE engines and systems ,,

But all the japanese big bike factories are memebers of the consortium and kawasaki is already showcasing ideas . Triumph and Piaggio Group joined this week both saying that they will develop ICE HYSE bikes Not fuel cell.
However there are also over 30 Car manufacturers invold including GM, Ford ,all the big Jap makes Honda etc , Koreans , Chinese , VW , JCB, Caterpiller and many more

r makers involved , 28 Energy companies, major distributers , aerospace and engineering and chemical companies involved . The big money is already going on this , there are of course some engineering issues ,, and politics but too many engineers and scientists and the money men are now firmly behind it ,,, they are solving the issues ,, dont let the nay sayers drown this out ...

Yes EV has some future , so will Fuel Cell and oil ,, but long term 5 years + ICE Hydrogen will be a major player ,,,
Old 15-05-2024, 01:53 PM   #3
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Will be sad to see the end of petrol-engined bikes as the noise and 'feel' of the engine is abig part of the experience IMO but I doubt it will affect me.

One way or the other I doubt I'll be riding bikes in 2040 and even if I am, it's unlikely I'll be looking to buy a new one.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2024, 09:44 AM   #4
Nickj

Bike: S2r
I'm probably in the same boat, unless I did a trike conversion or bolted on a sidecar plus stabilisers on either I suspect I'll have given up by then too.
It will be interesting to see what happens though.
Old 16-05-2024, 12:44 PM   #5
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
HYSE ICE bikes will be for sale in 5 years so wont need a battery bike

I had meeting with some people yesterday im in a petrol car I was on time ,, the lawyer and the Engineers were both almost 2 hours delayed as their Tesla and their VW ev ran out of charge ha ha .

They are company mandated EV cars but they both hate them ..the lawyer says his company will be changing back toICE cars next year as EVs are causing loss of work., and cost too much to lease
Old 17-05-2024, 07:14 AM   #6
350TSS

Bike: M900
The other issue with EVs is that a) they do not crash well and are difficult to ensure they are safe to move afterwards, b) if they do crash there is a chance of a battery rupture which can lead to a fire and c) insurance costs will inevitably rise to cover a) and b) above.
Having said that I bought a Leaf in 2016 and it has been absolutely brilliant for the purpose intended, local shopping and ferrying kids about, £100 pa servicing costs, about the a third of the fuel price of the Zafira it replaced, no brake pads or discs in 65k miles, but quite heavy on tyre use as the car is 1.6 tonnes
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote