UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Abroad and Ducati Insurance

Old 02-07-2006, 09:24 PM   #16
sadbiker

Exclamation

Good answer, but when someone in front is suddenly going in its side, my concerns were more about hitting the other rider.

Maybe with your mind blowing suggestion it would be better if we all drove in cars then we could think of ourselves.

The words "You Pratt" spring to mind, but hopefully I have got you wrong ?

I may not have wanted to write off my bike, but at least the knowledge that we both walked away with no injuries other than severely dented pride helps to comfort that. I still wonder if there was any other course of action, maybe I should have carried on round and crossed my fingers, or better still maybe I shouldn’t have been on the road. At the time I wasn’t what I thought was close to be silly. The first I knew was when the other rider was locking up his wheels. By then I was probably catching up without realising and as I was tucking in ready for a beautiful right hand bend I had to make a quick decision, I just didn't want to take the risk of hitting someone else. I was unlucky with the field as I felt I could run the speed down on the field but hit a hidden dip which was enough to throw me.

To have ended up with only 2 options ad neither being the best, I am annoyed that it happened. Considering the hornet was a good bike, well maintained and bloody good brakes plus 4 years of good fun, it was heart wrenching to see it taken away the other week for dismantle. But I would still do the same thing again. I suspect most people on here would never want to run someone over.

The main point of the accident was to highlight the problems I then suffered due to the insurance company, which I think was needed as a few people go abroad and its better to know about any issues before you go.
Old 14-07-2006, 11:00 PM   #17
ijr900

I repeat, try leaving a two second gap between yourself and the vehicle in front.Its worked for me for the past 20 years
Old 15-07-2006, 07:44 AM   #18
Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijr900
I repeat, try leaving a two second gap between yourself and the vehicle in front.Its worked for me for the past 20 years

Can you imagine , 20 years and never overtaken anything !!!!
Old 15-07-2006, 08:52 AM   #19
sadbiker

I think your Monster needs a decoke....
Old 15-07-2006, 08:52 AM   #20
sadbiker

And sorry but yes you are a PRAT..

Get a life........
Old 27-07-2006, 08:46 PM   #21
ijr900

Theres an awful lot of tommy tailgaters out there,for the record ,I can almost always get round without moving into the safety cell.also if the vehicle you are pushing up the road is a van or truck you will be able to see sod all.
take it easy,you do it to yourself.
Old 27-07-2006, 09:10 PM   #22
sadbiker

Look if you have not got anything sensible to say then butt out. this thread was made to warn others of problems suffered after a serious accident nearly happened abroad.

Now as you like to quote years . in 18 years of riding i have never willingly put myself or others in harms way. I was involved in the accident not you. it is for me to study what happened. some parts of it i cant explain as i was not close to start with but by the time i saw the smoke from his brakes it was to late. i still cant remember seeing his brakes lights or any other sign of him slowing down. i do remember someone saying later his bike had suffered electrical problems on the way to the port. but i have never seen the bike or rider since to find out.

so unless you have a magic ball would it not be better to keep some of your comments to yourself and partake in this thread for the purpose it was put on this site.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:01 PM   #23
madhatter
Gold Member

Bike: S4
Off to Europe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadbiker
Glad to be off help, this was my first accident abroad in 8 years of riding over to europe..Unfortunetly it was the first time I buggered up on having a breakdown policy to cover the trip, but in the case of this accident I was covered by the insurers...there were a good bunch of lads with me who helped expand the options when all seemed to be going wrong.
Well, I leave Blighty at Ramsgate with six other bikers tomorrow at Dawn. We plan to ride through to France and collect some of the french division, before meeting up later that night at the Belgium contingents clubhouse in Charleroi. Here there will be lots of refreshment going on for the remainder of the night. The next day we leave for Wenden in Germany for a big rally/festival, where there will be lots more refreshment opportunity. We also plan to travel the next day to Oudenberg, where we are booked into the infamous Groenedijk "Bikers Hotel".

I have the European and UK numbers for Ducati Insurance, I have the same for my AA European Breakdown Recovery (ÂŁ30 for 5 days). I've got all my documentation with me, so hopefully I've covered all the bases.

Let me know mate if I've missed any critical/useful details.

MH.
madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:41 PM   #24
sadbiker

Beer Money.

Europe Medical Cover or at least the New Medical Card for basic cover in member countrys.

Have a good Trip....