UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » My New M1100

Old 22-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
Redkite

My New M1100

First piccies, just picked it up from the dealers and it has 7Km on the clock.
Was very impressed sounds good standard. Front brake was not as good as expected but I suppose it needs to bed in.
More comfortable than my S2R1000 and I don't find all my weight is resting on the bars (as someone commented on earlier). Suspension is quite hard standard.
Had a big grin on my face all day today glad I bought it . Did about 150 K's.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~redkite2/M1100_FD01.jpg
http://www.xs4all.nl/~redkite2/M1100_FD01.jpg
http://www.xs4all.nl/~redkite2/M1100_FD03.jpg

:b anana:

Stu

Last edited by Pedro; 22-03-2009 at 07:50 PM..
Old 22-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
Snips

Very nice, congrats!
Old 22-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
walpole68

Wow that looks great,a black beastie.mine has done 500 miles now and is getting bettter and better,looking forward now to getting the oil changed and fulling opening the throttle.
Old 22-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
Redkite

Quote:
Originally Posted by walpole68 View Post
Wow that looks great,a black beastie.mine has done 500 miles now and is getting bettter and better,looking forward now to getting the oil changed and fulling opening the throttle.
Cheers! Are you happy with the front brake btw? Maybe it's just new but I wasn't impressed. I could really stop quickly with the S2R1000.
Do you have a satnav (i have a Zumo 550) fitted? Looking for mounting ideas it's a bit more cramped than the S2R
Old 22-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
Captain Caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by walpole68 View Post
nice

must admit, the m1100s look great, both S and non-S, although the 696 more than enough for me for now..lol... i'd probably try and use as much of the 1100 as i could too... lol...
(sorry, occifer, it is deceptively fast)

is the running in advice on the 1100s same as the 696..?
i stuck to an extra 1000 revs per 100 miles after the 620 mile (100K) service, but kept varying the revs, with the odd sustained run here and there... never been entirely sure it's the best way to run a bike in though
Old 22-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
Redkite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Caveman View Post
nice

must admit, the m1100s look great, both S and non-S, although the 696 more than enough for me for now..lol... i'd probably try and use as much of the 1100 as i could too... lol...
(sorry, occifer, it is deceptively fast)

is the running in advice on the 1100s same as the 696..?
i stuck to an extra 1000 revs per 100 miles after the 620 mile (100K) service, but kept varying the revs, with the odd sustained run here and there... never been entirely sure it's the best way to run a bike in though
Running in advice is keeping it under 6000 revs lots of throttle on\throttle off etc ie not running for long periods at one particular speed.
Old 22-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
walpole68

Front brake does enough for me,has bedded in so feel has improved,can ride most places using just engine braking.I dont have sat nav,i just ride out and explore,find a road i havent been along before and see where it goes.
Old 22-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
chris yeatman
I still have the s4r!

Bike: S4r
looks nice
Old 22-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
GS Rod

I agree, the front brake is not that strong when needed. For general riding around though the engine braking is great.
Check to see if your suspension is actually on std settings, mine was completely out. It does also soften a little with miles.
I have put my Zumo 550 on a small ram mount on the bars, fits quite nicely. I take the mount off when I'm not going to use it. Have had an Optimate plug put on the bike that I will use to power the Zumo. This was the smallest/neatest plug I could find and looks quite unobtrusive, it exits the frame just behind the head stock.
Old 22-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #10
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
How do you find the smaller handlebar screen? Does it make any difference or is it just cosmetic?

Also, as a matter of interest, what is the standard size for a netherlands numberplate?
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 09:13 PM   #11
Redkite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post
How do you find the smaller handlebar screen? Does it make any difference or is it just cosmetic?

Also, as a matter of interest, what is the standard size for a netherlands numberplate?
It's 21 X 14.3 cm officially. You do see smaller ones but I'm not bothered with that.
Difficult to tell about the screen really it protects the clocks and looks ok. I've not been on the motorway with it yet. Again I'm not really that bothered I've only ever had naked bikes and don't mind a bit of wind blast !
Old 22-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #12
Redkite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Rod View Post
I agree, the front brake is not that strong when needed. For general riding around though the engine braking is great.
Check to see if your suspension is actually on std settings, mine was completely out. It does also soften a little with miles.
I have put my Zumo 550 on a small ram mount on the bars, fits quite nicely. I take the mount off when I'm not going to use it. Have had an Optimate plug put on the bike that I will use to power the Zumo. This was the smallest/neatest plug I could find and looks quite unobtrusive, it exits the frame just behind the head stock.
I've got an Optimate plug too and have a RAM mount tight up against the clutch pot. The Zumo sticks out a bit though looks a bit silly.
I've never touched suspension before so if you have any tips on doing that I'd be very gratefull. Would be a good idea to check it methinks.
Old 22-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #13
GS Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redkite View Post
I've got an Optimate plug too and have a RAM mount tight up against the clutch pot. The Zumo sticks out a bit though looks a bit silly.
I've never touched suspension before so if you have any tips on doing that I'd be very gratefull. Would be a good idea to check it methinks.
I put my RAM mount as close to the headstock as possible, not stuck out on the ends of the bars. The black RAM bar goes horizontal, painted the nuts black.
The suspension is quite easy to check, but you have to take care & use a nicely fitting flat head screwdriver & spanner so you don't mark the metal. Maybe get the dealer to check it. I asked the mechanic to check it at first service & have since adjusted the compression & rebound on the forks & shock.
The biggest difference came from setting the rear shock rebound to the std. setting, now the ride is much smoother (is was 5 clicks out from std.).
Old 23-03-2009, 05:33 AM   #14
Redkite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Rod View Post
I put my RAM mount as close to the headstock as possible, not stuck out on the ends of the bars. The black RAM bar goes horizontal, painted the nuts black.
The suspension is quite easy to check, but you have to take care & use a nicely fitting flat head screwdriver & spanner so you don't mark the metal. Maybe get the dealer to check it. I asked the mechanic to check it at first service & have since adjusted the compression & rebound on the forks & shock.
The biggest difference came from setting the rear shock rebound to the std. setting, now the ride is much smoother (is was 5 clicks out from std.).
Yes that sounds more sensible (RAM mount). Will give it a try. And the first service will be along fairly soon, will have suspension and front brake checked. Cheers!
Old 22-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #15
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Hey Redkite,

can you post your pics in the gallery section?

Ped