UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Web Page & Forum :. » Help and Site FAQ's » What device/computer/browser do you use here

Old 12-06-2019, 06:21 PM   #16
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Laptop / Win 10 / Google Chrome
Occasionally Sony Xperia Compact / Android / Google Chrome

Both work perfectly
Old 12-06-2019, 09:29 PM   #17
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
A pc with W10 and Firefox, and iPad Pro and iPhone using the safari app
Old 13-06-2019, 05:37 AM   #18
Char
We're all mad here

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Chrome via iPhone

Have seen an improvement in being able to post recently - used to be almost impossible
Old 13-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #19
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
find my iphone se more difficult all the time as everything is written with bigger screens in mind now
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 07:48 AM   #20
Khanivore

iPhone x and safari. Is there a way to improve the experience? Really doesn’t work on mobile at all and it’s stopped me using the site.
Old 23-06-2019, 10:03 AM   #21
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
Iphone & ipad safari. Laptop google chrome.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 10:13 AM   #22
slob

Amir: can you be more specific about what makes it unusable? apart from the photo size thing on your other post this morning.

Ron: any problems?
Old 23-06-2019, 11:59 AM   #23
Khanivore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Amir: can you be more specific about what makes it unusable? apart from the photo size thing on your other post this morning.

Ron: any problems?
The forum is being rendered like a desktop on the iPhone screen. Fonts are therefore tiny and the pages are not ‘responsive’ (in web design parlance). For example, to write this response I had to zoom in to the page to see what I’m typing and then drag the screen to the right every few words to see what I’ve typed. At the end of the line I have to drag left again. Makes it really hard to post anything. Same for reading - have to zoom in and to hit the quote button I definitely had to zoom in.

There’s lots of other UI pains but relative to having to zoom in everything else pales in to insignificance. Having a ‘responsive’ site would fix most things I believe. This is meant as constructive feedback and not criticism in any way at all.
Old 23-06-2019, 12:05 PM   #24
Khanivore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanivore View Post
The forum is being rendered like a desktop on the iPhone screen. Fonts are therefore tiny and the pages are not ‘responsive’ (in web design parlance). For example, to write this response I had to zoom in to the page to see what I’m typing and then drag the screen to the right every few words to see what I’ve typed. At the end of the line I have to drag left again. Makes it really hard to post anything. Same for reading - have to zoom in and to hit the quote button I definitely had to zoom in.

There’s lots of other UI pains but relative to having to zoom in everything else pales in to insignificance. Having a ‘responsive’ site would fix most things I believe. This is meant as constructive feedback and not criticism in any way at all.
Here is what I have to do to write a response. As soon as I hit the text entry box the browser zooms in so if I want to see what I’m typing I have to scroll every few words.

Also the fact that the site is using http vs https could be problematic in the future.

For some reason the screenshot is not rendering:

https://imgur.com/a/oEAkmyR

Last edited by Khanivore; 23-06-2019 at 12:07 PM..
Old 23-06-2019, 12:06 PM   #25
Khanivore

Old 23-06-2019, 12:17 PM   #26
Tim88

I use a 10 inch Samsung tablet. Android/Chrome. Works perfectly and text size and photos are easy to read. Also sometimes use 15 inch laptop Windows 10/Chrome. Perfectly useable but not as clear and crisp as the tablet, which has a higher resolution screen than the laptop. Tried to use my Moto G5 phone, Android/Chrome, but hard to read without constant zooming. I don't see the point of using a phone with its tiny little screen etc. I want to enjoy the site in comfort from my tablet! (and I dislike Windows and its slow loading and endless updates etc.)
Tim88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #27
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanivore View Post
Here is what I have to do to write a response. As soon as I hit the text entry box the browser zooms in so if I want to see what I’m typing I have to scroll every few words.
To make it easier, you could do what I do on my Windows Phone. I type my message, add any links/photos and edit it in Notepad (no doubt iPhones have something similar). Then I just copy and paste the whole thing into the message box.

Also, at the bottom of the screen there's a drop down "style chooser" menu. The default seems to be "firestorm". Try it with the alternative "vBulletin 3 style" and see if that makes any difference.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 02:14 PM   #28
slob

Thanks for the lengthy response Amir, this is information gathering prior to a forum upgrade. FWIW I spent a couple of decades in IT network & security before becoming so disillusioned with the IT business I moved back to ‘less network, more metalwork’
Old 23-06-2019, 08:41 PM   #29
Khanivore

Switching to the other style made things worse but was worth a try.

Good idea re typing up responses in a text editor. I’ll do that until the upgrade.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:38 AM   #30
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Firefox/etch a sketch

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: