UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Petrol Tank Advice

Old 11-08-2004, 12:46 PM   #1
madhatter
Gold Member

Bike: S4
Question Petrol Tank Advice

I've got a 1997 Monster with a Silver Petrol Tank with the raised lettering "Ducati Monster".

I want the tank to be gloss Black, so here is the dilema;

1) Has anyone had a tank resprayed at a very good price, including the logo being put back on/or carefully masked off? If so who, where and how much?

2) If I buy a new tank I think I need to proceed with caution. Is it right that the tank shape changed when they moved from carbs (My 750) to fuel injection and is it also right that the S4 tank is a different shape again.

I throw myself upon the experience and wisdom of the forum......
madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 12:53 PM   #2
Fosse Foxfight

Hatter, recently had my tank resprayed (pics to follow )
The "raised letters" are just a transfer. You can just get a new transfer with either your current "DUCATI MONSTER" OR A PLAIN "DUCATI".

You then have two choices, you can either spray and lacquer the tank and apply the transfer on afterwards, or you can let the base coat set, usually for about 3 weeks, apply the transfer and then lacquer over the transfer.

My advice would be to finish the tank let set for 3 weeks and then apply the transfer. Its every bit as convincing. I'll stick some pics of mine up.

Sean
Old 11-08-2004, 12:53 PM   #3
Melnie Mouse

well I don't know where Amphill is whether it's far or not, but I know a good chap(s) who does excellent work, Phil & Dave at Autobodies, 01243 773715...
he does crash repairables, restorations and paint jobs whatever you like..
Old 11-08-2004, 01:16 PM   #4
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter

2) If I buy a new tank I think I need to proceed with caution. Is it right that the tank shape changed when they moved from carbs (My 750) to fuel injection and is it also right that the S4 tank is a different shape again.
The 'ie' tanks are different - they have the fuel injection units inside the tanks, the fuel filler cap is different too - The dark still has the plastic slightly smaller capacity tank tho, but otherwise is the same as other ie models. S4 has the same tank as all other 'ie' models (I think)

C
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 01:23 PM   #5
madhatter
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosse Foxfight
The "raised letters" are just a transfer..... My advice would be to finish the tank let set for 3 weeks and then apply the transfer...
Sean
Thanks Fosse, I guess the transfers can be purchased from any Ducati dealer, so I'll get some quotes on price and delivery for these up front. I think you are right about allowing 3 weeks then lacquering the transfers...but Man......four weeks without my Monnie!!!.....think I'd have to borrow a spare tank from someone. You didn't say, how much it cost you.??.....looking forward to the photographs.

Cheers.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:27 PM   #6
madhatter
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnie Mouse
well I don't know where Amphill is whether it's far or not....
Ampthill is in Bedfordshire between Luton and Bedford........see the threads about the Clophill Tuesday Bike Meeting.........where abouts are Autobodies located? Sounds like a national company (Autoglass)? Any ideas about costs? How did you get to hear of them?

Ta.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:37 PM   #7
Billy Bigwheels

S4 & 1000 tank are different.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:41 PM   #8
madhatter
Gold Member

Thanks Billy,

See also CK and AK's advice about the i.e tanks, like I said, "proceed with caution".....if I do just buy a replacement tank I think it will need to be a pre-2000 and pre-fuel injection tank to fit...doubtful if any of these will be gloss black...so looks like I'll be pursuing the paint option...

Cheers Pal!
Old 11-08-2004, 03:38 PM   #9
A Yerbury

are here we go...If the tank is to be repainted then the orig lacquer/decals/paint and base will be taken back then done afresh. give the paint person yr decals and he will/should put them on before the laquer (2 days not two weeks as the lac needs to bind with the ink) at least this is what the guy who did mine er did) I almost wish he didnt as I cant just unpick the decals and put some retro jobs on......currently seaching net for a big enough one to go over the top.
Alex.
ps I wouldnt pay much more than a 100 esp as its gloss black and not a fancy ink
pps very good idea! the silver tank doesnt go and as for the tank protector...thats caberg flip lid scottoiler territory!
Old 11-08-2004, 03:50 PM   #10
Fosse Foxfight

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Yerbury
are here we go...If the tank is to be repainted then the orig lacquer/decals/paint and base will be taken back then done afresh. give the paint person yr decals and he will/should put them on before the laquer (2 days not two weeks as the lac needs to bind with the ink)

I almost wish he didnt as I cant just unpick the decals and put some retro jobs on......currently seaching net for a big enough one to go over the top.
Alex.
Sorry yes Alex, if youre gonna put the decal under the lacquer then its quicker, but as Alex says, I wouldnt bother lacquering the decal in.
Much better to have the tank sprayed base coat, lacquered, then leave 3 weeks and then apply decal above lacquer so that at any stage you can change it should you wish
Old 11-08-2004, 03:53 PM   #11
Fosse Foxfight

Its still possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Yerbury
I almost wish he didnt as I cant just unpick the decals and put some retro jobs on......currently seaching net for a big enough one to go over the top.
Alex, you could still cut round the decal thru the lacquer and remove it. Then carefully mask around where the decal was, and apply some lacquer to level with either an airbrush or a brush, then place the new decal over the top.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:59 PM   #12
A Yerbury

could do, thing is it was a pro job using a bespoke matallic red...I just know Id f**k it up!!
mh found these earlier and the gold should be available in silver.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35616
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...914299452&rd=1
Old 11-08-2004, 05:00 PM   #13
DesmoDog

Yerbs, very nice decals, do you ever buy anything from the States?

Last edited by DesmoDog; 11-08-2004 at 05:04 PM..
Old 11-08-2004, 05:28 PM   #14
madhatter
Gold Member

Yes, I'd have to agree Alex, they are different from the norm and look the biz! I've never bought anything of e-bay from the States either, but guess as long as the postage isn't too Bad and you can pay with PayPal....what's the difference! I may just have a go now..... :burnout:
Old 11-08-2004, 05:39 PM   #15
A Yerbury

a couple of things. postage wise decals shouldnt weigh to much! Ive got a retro wing logo on my lid, would look v v v classy on a glossy black monster.