UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Yet Another M900 Build

Old 01-05-2021, 12:24 PM   #151
PPuxley

Bike: M900
1st May 2021
The Paint Detective
Just spent a very interesting morning at Aldermaston Paints where Richard, The Owner, spent 40 miniutes with me taking me through their matching process using their Lechler database.

I went armed with a wheel and the suspension hoop, which I had done a comparison with unfaded section under the E3 panel, which I had removed. I have to say there was actually no perceptible difference to the "faded" area adjacent or the back of the suspension hoop.

Firstly we were snookered on using the matching scanner, which needs about a 100x75mm flat panel to work, so that was a non starter, but, equally you are never going to see it on a flat panel that size on the finished bike.

First we tried Darkness's Sanidinbeige DB1798 798 MA4052M, Mercedes, but that was still much too gold.

Richard then searched the database using Ducati 1997, I think, and came up with two possibles which were close but still just too silver without that hint of bronze.

I then said people often referred to the required colour as "916 Gold". Using "Ducati 916" as a selective search term then threw up DUC19 Grey-291601-223647-916 MET

This was as near spot on as I could imagine when looked at outside in natural light.

So I left with a rattle can of that and some satin lacquer.

Below are the results when sprayed at home, close but still not there. Too much flake and just a touch shy on the bronze, in my opinion. These were finished in satin lacquer and are still too glossy so definitely need to try a matt lacquer.
The difference is much harder to spot when blended, as on the hoop in the 2nd photo (New at the top, existing at the bottom)

If this is as close as I could get it would be OK, but I think we can do better.
So back on Tuesday for some matt lacquer, and see if Richard can tweak it to get what I need.
This all leading to a choice of paint, the final finish will not be in rattle cans but shop applied....not by me!
To be continued......
Old 01-05-2021, 01:02 PM   #152
Darkness

So ‘95 frames and wheels are not the same as ‘93 frames. That’s not really a suprise!

The Mercedes paint shade looks a lot more like the bronze on the paint chart beneath Aldermarston’s second suggestion.

Last edited by Darkness; 01-05-2021 at 01:14 PM..
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:35 PM   #153
PPuxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
So ‘95 frames and wheels are not the same as ‘93 frames. That’s not really a suprise!

The Mercedes paint shade looks a lot more like the bronze on the paint chart beneath Aldermarston’s second suggestion.
Yes, I think you are right. I hadnt twigged that, but I did take another photo of the swatch and it is a DUC code, DUC 35 Bronzo Opaco Met so perhaps that is the true Ducati code for the equivalent Sanidinbeige DB1798 798 MA4052M, Mercedes, you discovered.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:49 PM   #154
PPuxley

My version of Buzzers cush drive rubber puller. M10 threaded rod, M10 nyloc backwards to centre itself , slot in the threaded rod, washer M10 plain nut and 36mm A/F Socket.

It worked a treat. The first few turns build pressure before it pops, I wonder though if you have perished rubbers whether in fact it would tear the rubber, rip the centre out and leave you with the outer still in there. I suppose that would be Dremel time!

Signs of a more "robust" approach previously, were evident, though.

Old 01-05-2021, 02:19 PM   #155
buzzer

Have you thought about getting a compressor and spray gun to paint rather than rattle cans? I have an Aldi compressor which was £79 and a £15 spray gun… Although I tend to spray in the garage( I have an extractor and air fed mask) my mate paints his tanks and frames in the garden! He gets fantastic results… if he gets some dust in the surface he just flats it with 2000 wet and dry, and polishes it with compound. He has now gone all posh and bought a Gazebo!!

Modern 2K paint is fantastic, and with a decent mask, spraying outside I think its OK. its also very forgiving of temperature..

The spray gun is an interesting one… I have had a Binks Bullows 230 for over 40 years, but it was second hand when I got it and is now worn out. I have bought quite a few new guns over the years, but still gravitated back to the BB 230 as I just couldn’t get a good finish with various new guns. Then a couple of years ago I bought one off Ebay for £15 due to the reviews on it… its FANTASTIC! my mate has the same gun

buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:57 PM   #156
PPuxley

Im only using rattle cans to nail down the colour, once I have it chosen the frame and wheels are going to 360 alloys for powder coating, see post 147 .
They achieve their range of colour finishes by applying colour in the powdercoat process with a sprayed coat of paint, but primers, and modified lacquer coats are all electrostatically applied powder, and baked, hence the large range of colours they can achieve.
Your paint results are fantastic, but I'd just end up with runs, sags, dust and Labrador hairs!!!
Old 04-05-2021, 10:45 AM   #157
PPuxley

4th May 2021

More trial and error on the paint.....erring on error! Went back to the paintshop in an attempt to tone down the sparkle and up the bronze and seem to have gone in the opposite direction. £60 in with trial cans of paint and lacquer

Cant help myself, Im meant to be getting ths ready for an MOT, but while I am still trying to get the frame colour nailed down and have the suspension hoop out, I just think I'll do a bit more stand alone stuff.
Today its the seat release .....Wow! This must have been a summer Ducati Student placement competition, the prize going to the most complicated seat release mechanism in motorcycling I'm sure they could have gone for a push/pull cable system if they'd really tried
Anyway , this looks like a restoration project in itself, anyone want to open a book on whether those two tiny screws come out in tact? Theres already a couple of sheared M6 bolts. The rear light nuts are soaking in PB Blaster- cant afford to shear those little blighters.

Last edited by PPuxley; 04-05-2021 at 11:38 AM..
PPuxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:21 PM   #158
PPuxley

5th May 2021
Even though I said that was it, I paid another visit to the paintshop and went for one last try. We reduced the two flake sizes and doubled the "copper" pigment.Havent had time to try them on the parts yet.

Also decided to give the rear shock a clean up. Despite a rather horrible looking bit of corrosion on the stem it doesnt appear to be leaking oil and with the spring off the damping in both compression and rebound felt OK. It will need to have the stem sorted out, but I can have that done for £60 for now though its going back on the bike.

Old 06-05-2021, 07:27 AM   #159
PPuxley

My bump stop rubber had disappeared.
Anyone got a photo of one? And is it safe to unscrew the head off the shaft without depressurising the shock ( as I see it has an adjuster in it , so I assume theres some connection to the chamber)?
Old 06-05-2021, 11:23 AM   #160
PPuxley

6th May 2021
The Watching Paint Dry Thread

Finally, three visits to the paintshop and as many rattle cans later, Ive got the early wheel/frame colour I want for the "916 Gold" of 90s Monsters.
It takes the standard DUC-19 (Lechler 217A) and uses much finer flake and doubles the copper 61036 to overcome what I thought looked too silver. Then finished in matt lacquer, which still has a certain lustre.
I got a crash course in metal flake from Richard at Paintshop Products- who knew, (well you do, probably, Buzzer),that not only are there different sizes of flake but you can have dark or light sided in combinations, we used dark/light and light/dark to give the same affect regardless of viewing angle.

Lechler Code Details

Postman deliverd a few packages this morning. One from my favourite electrical auto parts supplier https://kojaycat.co.uk Colin really does seem to be able to supply all of the obscure connectors Ive ever needed, particularly some of the hard to find Japanese ones.
Here Ive got what I will need for the FH020A Reg/Rec when it arrives and stuff to complete my side stand/neutral/ starter interlock module. Also some brightener from Gateros plating, which should hopefully overcome my recent dull results.

Old 06-05-2021, 11:30 AM   #161
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
Wow,that was a lot of trial and error to get the paint you wanted Patrick,good result but worth it in the end

Good luck with the rest of the build

Kimbo
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 12:34 PM   #162
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Great work finding a colour match - I admire your attention to detail!

I don't know whether this colour chart from the Color N Drive website might be of use to someone...

https://colorndrive.com/gb/touch-up-...rcycles-ducati

The third one down on the left is supposedly a frame (telaio) colour.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:33 PM   #163
PPuxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Great work finding a colour match - I admire your attention to detail!

I don't know whether this colour chart from the Color N Drive website might be of use to someone...

The third one down on the left is supposedly a frame (telaio) colour.
Thats another coding convention that I havent seen. If its any for my 1995 it would be 10579 because its MET (metallic) rather than MM005.5 , which is OPACO (Opaque)
Old 07-05-2021, 03:34 PM   #164
PPuxley

7th May 2021
That's Better! Finished resurrecting the seat release mechanism today.

Also found a bump stop for the Showa

Any suspension experts here? Can I remove the head of the shock without depressurising it? The workshop manual doesnt give any warning at this part of the process.

Old 08-05-2021, 01:16 AM   #165
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
Patrick,I take it that the two tiny screws came out ok?

Curious Kimbo
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote