UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Led headlight conversion advice

Old 17-05-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
Nikki

Led headlight conversion advice

Hi, I know we have more daylight hours but I’m fed up with the lack of illumination on country roads.
Has anyone got any suggestions of how to convert my 2001 M6 to an LED headlight, using the original Bosch casing. I don’t want to spend a fortune or spoil the original look but want to see where I’m going!
I’ve found threads on Gazzas headlight converter kit but would appreciate advice on what to look for to use with it.
Cheers
Old 17-05-2019, 06:41 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Hello Nikki
I'm with you on the desire to be able to see in the dark, hence developing the adapter ring.

I'm afraid I can't advise on any of those integrated LED units as I haven't tried any out. I do think it's a case of you get what you pay for though. You are rather limited to what the original output of the unit is too, to upgrade you have to replace the whole thing.
Besides I just don't like the look of them.

I think it's far better to stick with a good 7" H4 lamp and play around with bulbs.

So far I have tried the Autopal Clear Crystal unit and the Cibie H180.

Starting with traditional gas filled, filament "Hot" bulbs, you basically have a choice of Osram Nightbreaker or Phillips Extreme vision. Both work well in the above reflectors and are a massive improvement on the Bosch. I found the best combo to be the Osram bulb in the Autopal reflector/lens.

I have since experimented with various LED "bulbs" in both reflector/lens units and there is a vast improvement in the light output and colour.
At the moment I am using a 10.000 lumens one with 4 cobs and a cooling fan. It is rigged so the dip cobs are on all the time and high switches in and out giving a nice full pattern.

It really brings out the difference in the two units.
The Cibie has the most glorious high beam spread of light with a bright spot in the centre, but unfortunately the dip pattern is disappointing, being a rather amorphous blob, albeit bright. It still provokes a throttle roll off when cars approach.

The same bulb in the Autopal gives an adequate high beam. (far superior to any of the hot bulbs). The dip beam however is so confidence inspiring when faced with oncoming lights. There is a lovely finger of white light searing up the nearside beyond the oncoming lights. This vividly picks out any lane markings and clearly illuminates the nearside, enabling a near normal daytime type riding style.
When following a car the crisp cut off can be seen below the rear window, with the nearside illuminated beyond that.

My personal favourite is the Autopal because of the dip pattern. The main pattern is not too shabby and improves every time I upgrade the bulb, but the Cibie does have a better main beam, although frustrating to have to throttle back and grope every time someone comes the other way.
Next step is to try the 48,000 lumens 4 cob bulb I have on the shelf.... Some things you have to build up to, to appreciate..

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 17-05-2019 at 08:24 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 07:40 PM   #3
Nikki

Hi Gazza,
Thanks for all the info & advice.
Do both lamps need a fan? Not great with elec tech issues so I’m trying to follow what you’ve said but I’m struggling to keep up. Bit nervous about having a go at fitting fans. If you can recommend the lamp and place I can get one -that’ll sort things out I’d be v grateful to try a straightforward bulb change first. Be great to have a solution that will have better day and nighttime visibility.
Nikki
Old 17-05-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

No need to be afraid of anything, the H4 LEDs are simple plug and play items, the fan is integral.

Link to the 10,000 lumens 4 cob that I am using https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-200W-H...WzTkRdJ_XeJZSQ

Select H4 to fit your headlamp, That's not the same source as mine came from but a lot of the suppliers seem to be out of stock... Word is getting around!

You will notice a big difference if you fit one of these in your Bosch reflector, but the pattern is not great on those, so you will need an adapter and an Autopal reflector to really see the benefit of the more powerful bulb.

Fitting involves taking you old bulb out and replacing with the new one. instead of plugging into the bulb, you simply plug into the lead on the end of the cable. The box in the cable controls the current to the bulb and sorts out the switching of dip/main leaving the dip on all the time. You will notice an instant response from the switch rather than the slow wow with the hot bulbs.

If you want more there is the 96,000 lumens one (sorry not 48,000 lumens as I said above).
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Headl...72.m2749.l2649
Old 17-05-2019, 08:36 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

To put the lumens into perspective..
Your standard Monster bulb is probably producing anything from 500 to 900 lumens at best.

I have yet to see what 96,000 lumens looks like, I am looking forward to X-raying trees!!..
Old 17-05-2019, 09:34 PM   #6
Nikki

You’re a star. I’ll give it a go and let you know how I get on. Thanks
Old 18-05-2019, 08:58 AM   #7
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
I'm pretty happy with this:

You will need one of Mr Gazza's rim converters, it gives great light and a modern twist to the original light. Probably last forever.
Old 18-05-2019, 09:35 AM   #8
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Which unit is that Jez?
Could you give an appraisal? Light output, beam pattern, riding experience, ect.
Did you have to install a driver external to the headlamp with that one?
Old 18-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #9
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Hi Mr Gazza,

I bought this two years ago, so I don't recall the exact lumens specs - sorry.

The unit was manufactured by Cree, has a polycarbonate lens, and does require a small blackbox (supplied) to power the light. It was simple enough to splice and solder the cables and I located the blackbox under the tank as it will not fit inside the headlamp shell.

The light pattern will best be shown by pics & I will see what I can come up with using a trusty smartphone over the next few days provided its not raining around 9pm...

The light is much brighter than the original Ducati OEM candle, and it is certainly an improvement.

These LED lights do change the look of the bike, and thats a subjective personal thing. Initially I wasn't too sure, but after using it and allowing a little time to pass that changed. I now like the more edgy (to me) style and combined with being able to see on the way home makes it a good mod.

I paid £70 approx for it from ebay.

Last edited by Jez900ie; 18-05-2019 at 10:27 AM..
Jez900ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 04:11 PM   #10
rollo22

Bike: M1100evo
Found this article.

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/bl...the-brightest/
Old 18-05-2019, 04:56 PM   #11
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

That's a very interesting article Rollo, thank you for posting it.

However it is dated January 2018, that's about 18 months out of date, which in the white heat of technology is significant.
It reflects (I punned!) my experience of my first LED bulbs. Rather pale and not focused. I also took the advertised claims with a pinch of salt when I bought them, but I stuck with the project and the ones I am using now are very impressive and do now exceed the output of halogen bulbs.
Interesting though how different the cut off and step are with the same bulb in different reflectors. you really do have to experiment to get the result you want.

Looking forward to seeing the pics of your beam Jez..
Old 18-05-2019, 08:33 PM   #12
Davy

Bike: M900
Looks exactly like the led light I put in my Land Rover Td5 defender
Old 18-05-2019, 09:13 PM   #13
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post

Looking forward to seeing the pics of your beam Jez..
OK, heres a quick attempt at night photography. It appears the MOT station have raised the light position slightly but adjusting that in the dark wasn't on the cards! I will get some more pics once I have set the light down slightly but heres something to give you an idea. The blue bin is about 20m from the bike.

Dip beam

Hi beam

You can see the hedge across the other side of the road (above the gates) clearly lit up like day time.

Last edited by Jez900ie; 18-05-2019 at 09:17 PM..
Jez900ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 10:26 AM   #14
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thanks for a magnificent effort Jez. Photographing a beam pattern is not as easy as it sounds!
I was going to try photographing the beams of all the bulbs and reflectors I have, starting with an ordinary bulb in the Bosch unit. I even made some sticks with 50mm white discs on the end, to place down the lane equidistantly, and then..... Well maybe one day? (or night.)

You seem to have a useful hotspot towards the left on dip, and a nice clean cut off, but I can't see a step in the picture due to the building (not a criticism of your photo, you don't have a beam studio at your disposal).
The first 4 metres seem to be in the dark, but probably look that way due to the intense light ahead. The bin is about 15 metres away if those are 6ft fence panels.

High beam is showing a good penetrative hotspot of white light and true colours showing on the plant in the foreground.
The hotspot seems to still be biased to the left, but strangely the cut off is still there on the offside? This could actually be handy if you want, as I do, to maintain high beam on a dual carriageway, but not so good if you want a milliseconds extra warning of a rampant Stag emerging from the woods on the right.
I sometimes get flashed on a dual, but I just tell 'em to squint for a second, even though they can't hear me. What are they going to do? Turn round and chase me... ? I think not.

You have a massive improvement on the OEM light there Jez. Thanks for the pictures.
Old 19-05-2019, 12:09 PM   #15
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Thx Mr Gazza.

Like most here I have spent (wasted!) loadsa money changing this & that, to gain one thing or another, most of which are probably never realised as the item is really bling/ no better than OEM/ beyond my skill level to realise the potential!

That said, the headlamp (once angled down a little) really works well, is perhaps the mod which I have gained the most from & is one of the cheaper ones into the bargain.