UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » S4RS Evo tribute

Old 31-03-2019, 02:35 PM   #1
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
S4RS Evo tribute

Well, thanks to Geoff (buzzbomb) I recently became the proud owner of a pearl white 'colour therapy' body kit.

Now, there've been quite a few posts recently about the old S4R and S4RS and they reminded me how much I liked the original colour schemes. Originally, I favoured the AC Cobra-esque blue with white stripe but, as time has passed, I don't think the blue has aged as well as the classic red or white schemes. Nowadays, my favourite is the pearl white and red so, when Geoff's panels came up, I thought I'd do an S4RS tribute.

So the ex-Geoff body kit (plus a spare unpainted centre strip I had knocking around) went to Steve at Image Design Custom http://imagedesigncustom.co.uk/ to be striped and clear-coated.

The actual amount of paint applied is minimal - after all, its only a couple of stripes - but the overall effect of the red plus the really deep lacquer is quite striking when compared to the original plain metallic white.

Before and after

Rather than do a straight copy, I thought I'd combine elements of the S4RS with the current M1200S Stripe, so I've gone for the S4RS pearl white/red stripe combo together with the M1200's part-painted carbon guard. I didn't want to give up the carbon guard from my original and was lucky enough to find, at a great price, what might have been the last NOS Ducati Performance guard in the bargain bin of Ducati Milano (don't you just love the internet?!). Steve effectively reversed the design of my first carbon guard and did a great job matching the pearl white with the rest of the panels.

Take your pick!

I'm really pleased with the results. The stripes on the S4RS are decals, not painted, so there's no colour code for the red. After studying plenty of pictures, we decided to use Rosso Red, a slightly deeper shade than the Anniversary Red, which is the stock 1100 Evo colour, and it really pops against the pearl white - especially in the sunshine. Hopefully, it meets with Darren's approval!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
And stickers are cheap and nasty too, got to be proper painted and laquered.
I didn't take the S4RS homage to extremes though - you'll note the wheels aren't white. That's for two reasons: the first is cost and the second is laziness - I had white wheels on my S2R and, while they look great clean, they take a lot of effort to keep them that way!

I know this is an unashamedly indulgent and purely cosmetic exercise and, as it has no effect on anything tangible like performance or handling, you might argue that it's money that could have been better spent elsewhere. But, after nine years of ownership, it's like having a new bike, so I'm happy.

Red to White

Compare & Contrast

Last edited by Luddite; 05-04-2019 at 10:02 AM..
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
Luddite

By the way, if you watched that new Henry Cole show, "Find It, Fix It, Drive It" last week on More4, then that paintshop they used for the Uncle Bunt chopper was Image Design Custom - a good showcase for their talents.

Old 31-03-2019, 06:16 PM   #3
Moco1961

Great Job

What a fantastic job, a great tribute and a top class finish
Old 31-03-2019, 07:47 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Looks great!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #5
Stinger101

Bike: M1200s
Really nice! Well worked out and put together. Love it. Money well spent!
Stinger101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 09:52 PM   #6
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Looks great!
Old 01-04-2019, 05:45 AM   #7
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Bike: M1100s
Beautiful..

Well done Sir...
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:26 PM   #8
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Very nice job... It's got some pizazz now. Next best thing to a new motorbike.

All it needs now is a Welsby 1100 headlamp conversion for one of the proper shape..
Old 01-04-2019, 09:16 PM   #9
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Indeed. You obviously love cleaning your bike. It's so clean so you should get some white wheels! Then try harder it will never be as clean as again if you so much as ride it.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:07 PM   #10
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Very nice job... It's got some pizazz now. Next best thing to a new motorbike.

All it needs now is a Welsby 1100 headlamp conversion for one of the proper shape..
Please don't tempt me, Mr Gazza. (But maybe keep an adapter ring in reserve for me, just in case!)
Old 04-04-2019, 09:11 PM   #11
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Indeed. You obviously love cleaning your bike. It's so clean so you should get some white wheels! Then try harder it will never be as clean as again if you so much as ride it.
If it gets dirty, Darren, instead of cleaning it, I can just put the red bodywork back on!