UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Another m900 Rebuild gets started

Old 06-03-2017, 09:54 PM   #16
blackthorn

Keeping an eye in this! Good progress so far :-) I wanted to do mine this year but I'm heavily invested in doing my RS4 just now!
Old 08-03-2017, 05:08 PM   #17
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Hope this helps

Well today I feel I achieved something positive with the paint saga if and I say if in case and I always worry the sample original part sent to me by Darkness is the correct colour of the year. I believe it is and I got the part matched locally from an independent paint supplier who can custom mix rattle cans. We studied countless colour charts and was close with a Porsche one but we found a bike colour including ducati and cagiva and aprilia and got one very very close and he did a slight tint. He then took the sample suspension hoop and sprayed one side of a leg and it blended great. If you can notice it in the picture then well done. We also did part of the crap sample paint I did with Audi Dakota Grey so to check on that.
I am completely happy with it so I have 3 x 400ml cans to spray the frame over the powdercoat and have 2 cans of satin laquer.
It cost me £78 but I don't need a sprayer to do it.
If its successful and anyone decides they would be happy to get some please contact Kent Car Panel and Paint in Maidstone and they will be happy to make you some as they have all the details of the mix they did for me. Just say the custom 93 frame paint and its £12.95 +VAT per 400ml can.
Phone number is 01622 752821

Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 08:19 PM   #18
Darkness

Slow progress: I picked up some nice fresh powder coated parts from Griff's in Bristol on Friday:

Footrest Hangers

Front Wheel

Lots of Lovely Elephants

Rear Wheels: I'll only use one at a time though........

From the comments about tyres on another thread here, I'm guessing that a date marking of 3805 and 1906 are getting a bit "Vintage" for road use, even if there's still half the tread left.

Still got to decide whether to repaint the frame?

Last edited by Darkness; 20-03-2017 at 08:21 PM..
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 08:36 PM   #19
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Hmmm..!

When you get your new tyres fitted tomorrow, get them to put some right angled valves in while they're at it.

Old 20-03-2017, 08:55 PM   #20
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Hmmm..!

When you get your new tyres fitted tomorrow, get them to put some right angled valves in while they're at it.
Tomorrow: why so urgent?

The wheels aren't even fitted to the bike yet, so all I need is something to protect the rims until it's assembled and MOT'd.

The right angle valves may be a good idea in case I ever have to use a forecourt pump, but my 12v Michelin pump has a very small head to the hose and works well with the standard ones?
Old 10-04-2017, 07:02 PM   #21
Darkness

Ooh err missus: it's got no clothes on........

It's cooled off again today, so back into the garage to take some more off the frame to get it ready for blasting, powder coat and paint [Thanks Albie].

There was a paper ticket on the loom, but it's not very informative! Must have got wet once too often.

All I need to do to it now is clean off the worst of the filth, and drill off the ZDM plate from under the side cover.

Next thing is to clean up the engine and start cleaning and renewing parts re the rebuild.

Last edited by Darkness; 13-07-2017 at 06:31 AM..
Old 10-04-2017, 07:28 PM   #22
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
It's cooled off again today, so back into the garage to take some more off the frame to get it ready for blasting, powder coat and paint [Thanks Albie].

There was a paper ticket on the loom, but it's not very informative! Must have got wet once too often.

All I need to do to it now is clean off the worst of the filth, and drill off the ZDM plate from under the side cover.

Next thing is to clean up the engine and start cleaning and renewing parts re the rebuild.

Are you going to powdercoat and paint. Is this to just protect it just wondered whether you should just prime or is he doing it a grey undercoat powder
Did they supply you paint ok
Old 02-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #23
Darkness

Just had a message from Nick at Griff's: my frame has been blasted and primed so is ready for collection for the paint and lacquer to be applied.

That's prompted me to get on with sorting out which bits are going back on, and getting them cleaned.

I thought I had a choice of two swingarms, but closer inspection after cleaning them revealed a choice of one:

I'll be using this one.

Not this one.

Blobby blobby blobby!

Last edited by Darkness; 13-07-2017 at 06:25 AM..
Old 02-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #24
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Are you going to powdercoat and paint. Is this to just protect it just wondered whether you should just prime or is he doing it a grey undercoat powder
Did they supply you paint ok
The frame is blast cleaned and primed.
I got 0.5l of colour coat and satin lacquer from Kent Car Panel to get the right colour.

Mine is:

That was matched with the original paint exposed where the TA tag was removed. Do you have the colour constituents of yours Albie? It would be interesting to know what difference there is [If any]?

Last edited by Darkness; 13-07-2017 at 06:26 AM..
Old 02-06-2017, 10:33 PM   #25
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
The frame is blast cleaned and primed.
I got 0.5l of colour coat and satin lacquer from Kent Car Panel to get the right colour.

Mine is:

That was matched with the original paint exposed where the TA tag was removed. Do you have the colour constituents of yours Albie? It would be interesting to know what difference there is [If any]?
Nope tbh. I thought at one point was looking at Aprilia colours or maybe a Porsche. I saw hundreds mate hundreds trying for an hour at least
Old 04-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #26
Chriswilly

Bike: M900ie
Bought some frame paint from my local paint shop in Gloucester (Middleton Panels) and matched it by EYE!
Turned out to be 'perfect' - SILVER PEARL 2ct - Code 7-2-5748.00
Chriswilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:03 PM   #27
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriswilly View Post
Bought some frame paint from my local paint shop in Gloucester (Middleton Panels) and matched it by EYE!
Turned out to be 'perfect' - SILVER PEARL 2ct - Code 7-2-5748.00
If it's for your m900ie, the paint codes aren't such a problem for the post '98 bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenniall View Post

These are a few of the paint codes with PPG & Lechler codes. (Borrowed from another forum post.
Glad you got a match though as the colour now isn't necessarily the same as when it left the factory.
Old 26-06-2017, 09:19 PM   #28
Darkness

Should be getting the frame back later this week: let's hope it's a good match........

In preparation I've started bolting some sub-assemblies back together

Having watched Albie's rebuild progressing, I'm now not so sure about some of the fasteners and plates: what had seemed like patina now looks shabby, so I think I may now be getting some yellow passivated zinc plating done too?

Last edited by Darkness; 13-07-2017 at 06:27 AM..
Old 01-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #29
Darkness

I got the engine onto a stand this afternoon so I can work on it without breaking my back.
An old 80's Habitat trolley table retrieved from the loft provided the tubes.

I don't know who has the copyright for these, but it works well.

Oil is out now, and belt covers off. Time to start cleaning it up for some fresh paint.

I am finding a plethora of elephants on the bits, and date stamps.

The block casting is October '92 but the belt covers are Feb '93. There has been some work done on it though as the front [Horizontal] cylinder head is a '94 casting?

What do youse guys recommend for keeping ****e out of the engine whilst painting and the cam, rocker and generator clutch covers are removed? News paper and masking tape?

Last edited by Darkness; 13-07-2017 at 06:28 AM..
Old 05-07-2017, 07:24 PM   #30
Darkness

Picked up my frame today.

This has been blasted clean and powder coat primed by Nick at Griff's Reality Works and prep'ed, colour coated and lacquered by Del at DW. Automotive.

I'm pleased with the match, though it looks quite different without the rust and acid stains.

Del has also recently done the very nice Oxford livery for Staff's 888 racer.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=55411

Last edited by Darkness; 13-07-2017 at 06:28 AM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: