UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Quick release fuel connector?

Old 02-01-2018, 11:55 AM   #16
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
Ah the plastic connectors, they will fail it's what they do. Send 'em back. (yes I have tried them)
Any links to metal ones that do not fail gratefully accepted.

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:31 PM   #17
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Hmmm .. sounds like a switch to metal ones might be in order, just to be on the safe side.
All links gratefully appreciated.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:13 PM   #18
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
If you look at the ad for the £9.00 ebay ones it says not recommended for efi bikes. I have the CPC ones fitted to my efi bike which are the same spec I think as the DP kit ones but a bit cheaper and have had no issues with them so I assume they are much better quality. But with the risk assessment in my mind completed I would probably fit the metal ones now in preference unless I had a carby bike in which case I might risk the 9 quid ones. The plastic ones on my 748 have also given no problems in the 15 years of ownership and they are original CPC ones too.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #19
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
8mm quick release metal fuel connector.........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Goodridge-...0AAOSwI-BWKq5o

US of A though
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:51 AM   #20
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s4 View Post
8mm quick release metal fuel connector.........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Goodridge-...0AAOSwI-BWKq5o

US of A though
Pretty sure that's a CPC part, available here from Tom Parker; https://www.tom-parker.co.uk/#

Just be sure to get Viton 'O' rings as they don't all have them unless they are fuel specific and the part no. has the 'V' suffix.

I (unknowingly) had the non viton 'O' rings in my 916 fittings and whilst the 'O' rings are cheap and the one on the male (hose) fitting is easily swapped (a service item due to possible damage whilst fitting), the one inside the female fitting, whilst still cheap is not so easy to get at, requiring the fitting to be removed from the tank (not an in-line on 916) but the worst part was that when it swelled from the fuel, it blocked the fuel flow and left me stranded at the roadside...

Dukedesmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #21
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
Don't suppose you've got a link to the actual item, you seem to know what you're talking about
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:15 PM   #22
BLUNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
Just be sure to get Viton 'O' rings as they don't all have them unless they are fuel specific and the part no. has the 'V' suffix.
This is very good advice.

Buna-N 'O' rings (commonly called Nitrile) are generally said to have good fuel resistance but the nitrile percentage varies considerably and influences the properties of the finished compound.

Those with a high nitrile content are ok for fuel but the market is flooded with 'O' rings having unknown composition from places like China. A low nitrile compound is not ok for fuel so only buy 'O' rings from a reputable source.

It sounds like you guys have got it now:-

Plated brass connectors with Viton 'O' rings.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:05 PM   #23
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s4 View Post
Don't suppose you've got a link to the actual item, you seem to know what you're talking about
Not without searching but I have the CPC part numbers as used on a 916 but these are with the female fitting directly into the tank and the male hose fitting is a 90 degree elbow, however I would assume that they are the same range and that a straight hose fitting is available for both male and female?

For anyone interested the 916 parts are;

CPC - LCD10004V = Metal female with viton seal (screws into tank) *
CPC - LCD23006V = Metal male with viton seal (90 degree 'elbow')

* Note Ducati use NPT threads on the female tank connector, I think Triumph use BSP?

Obviously the above numbers aren't the parts you need for an inline setup but I would say a search of Tom Parker's website should get you close enough to find the correct variant of fitting.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #24
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUNT View Post
This is very good advice.

Buna-N 'O' rings (commonly called Nitrile) are generally said to have good fuel resistance but the nitrile percentage varies considerably and influences the properties of the finished compound.

Those with a high nitrile content are ok for fuel but the market is flooded with 'O' rings having unknown composition from places like China. A low nitrile compound is not ok for fuel so only buy 'O' rings from a reputable source.

It sounds like you guys have got it now:-

Plated brass connectors with Viton 'O' rings.
Indeed, not only did I break down at the roadside with a blocked fuel supply and have to wait a couple of hours for the recovery van but it was a pig to diagnose as removing/refitting the connector cleared the blockage; for a few minutes until I broke down a mile from home and nearly had a cardiac arrest pushing 200kg of bike up the steep hill leading to my house 'coz I didn't want to wait again.

It wasn't until I looked really closely that I saw the edge of the 'O' ring trapped in the fitting that I realised what had happened...

Old 28-03-2019, 11:16 AM   #25
CarloL

Does anybody have the part numbers from Tom Parker, inline fuel cpc quick disconnects

I found these metal 8mm on ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schnellku...YAAOSw7p5aWMT-
CarloL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 06:36 PM   #26
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I have tried cheap plastic QDs and expensive brass and stainless ones all have failed or leaked ,,,

now I use brass spigots and taps to isolate the fuel lines to remove tank