UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Thinking of a Monster......

Old 13-09-2022, 11:06 PM   #1
Brian.

Bike: M750
Thinking of a Monster......

Good evening all,

My first post!

I'm here because I'm thinking of buying a Monster. Thought I might end up buying something else....!

I'm a member of the Vintage Motorcycle club, and for club runs I currently have a a 1979 Suzuki GS750.

Nothing wrong with it, to be honest I love it, but I am 70 years old and have to face up to the fact that it is simply getting to be just too heavy for me. Not only is it heavy, but it is also top-heavy and it's getting more difficult for me to move in & out of the garage and to manoeuvre when parking up etc. Hence my interest in perhaps buying an early (lighter & less top heavy!) Monster.

It would have to be an early one because to be eligable for (some, not all) our club runs it would have to be 25 years old, so I am thinking of one that is no newer that a 1998, taking into account that we are heading towards 2023.

I don't really mind if it's a 600, 750 or 900, though I have to say that I do have a tendency to lean towards a 750 because I (cover your ears) really do not appreciate the finer points of Ducati clutch rattle and I think I'm right in saying that the 750 has a nice quiet wet clutch. This is certainly not a deal breaker though, I'd consider either of the three.

I am fortunate it that I've had quite a wide selection of bikes in my life, and one those of was a 1995 Ducati 900SS.

The one I had was, from the outset, not the most trouble-free bike I've owned by any means; however I do remember it as being very light and brilliant fun to ride, which is why I am think of buying a Monster now.

So that is why I've registered on here, to listen and to learn. All suggestions, advice and opinions are very welcome!

Thanks for reading this,
Brian.
Brian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2022, 09:00 AM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Welcome aboard Brian. The 750 is probably the best all-rounder, less brutal than the 9’ and less stressed than the 6’. If it was me, I’d be aiming for the later (post ‘98) model, with the newer clutch arrangemt and slightly better electrics.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2022, 09:04 AM   #3
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Welcome to the forum Brian. i cannot help you as I have a 2018 Monster but i'm sure you'll get plenty of help and advice here, good luck.
Old 14-09-2022, 11:05 AM   #4
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Welcome aboard! When I was considering my first Monster I too was looking for a 750 but they're quite thin on the ground and I ended up with a 900. You won't be disappointed whatever model you end up with and you might just get lucky...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...d.php?p=595127

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...d.php?p=595133

Last edited by Luddite; 14-09-2022 at 11:08 AM..
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2022, 12:44 PM   #5
Jam911

There is a nice 750 in the For Sale section
Jam911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 06:07 AM   #6
Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Welcome aboard Brian. The 750 is probably the best all-rounder, less brutal than the 9’ and less stressed than the 6’. If it was me, I’d be aiming for the later (post ‘98) model, with the newer clutch arrangemt and slightly better electrics.
Thank you I will definitely bear this in mind but would still prefer one registered in 1998 so that it's eligible for our 25 year old Club runs.

Brian.

Last edited by Brian.; 15-09-2022 at 06:12 AM..
Old 15-09-2022, 06:09 AM   #7
Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgt View Post
Welcome to the forum Brian. i cannot help you as I have a 2018 Monster but i'm sure you'll get plenty of help and advice here, good luck.
Thank you for the welcome!
Old 15-09-2022, 06:14 AM   #8
Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Welcome aboard! When I was considering my first Monster I too was looking for a 750 but they're quite thin on the ground and I ended up with a 900. You won't be disappointed whatever model you end up with and you might just get lucky...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...d.php?p=595127

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...d.php?p=595133
Thank you and thank you for the links.

Brian.
Old 15-09-2022, 06:16 AM   #9
Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam911 View Post
There is a nice 750 in the For Sale section
Thank you I'll have a look at that.
Old 15-09-2022, 06:24 AM   #10
Brian.

Hi all,

Quick question - some ads mention the "all important red key", others don't; what is the significance of the red key?

Thank you.
Old 15-09-2022, 08:39 AM   #11
slob

red key only applies to injected (‘02-‘09ish ie & Sie) models with Marelli ECUs, it’s used to reprogram new keys to the immobiliser, no such worries with carbies and later models switched to a different system.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 09:06 AM   #12
motomartin11

I understand where you are coming from and can recommend the early Monster models for lightness of weight and ease of handling.
I'm 6 years younger than you and quite a few years ago decided to sell my heavier bikes due to the weight of moving them especially around my workshop.
I find my '96 750 Monster quite light in comparison to many larger capacity bikes.
I owned 2 GS750s back in the day and a 550 and 1000 but when in 1987 I swapped my GS750 for a 1986 GSX550 the difference in weight was very noticeable bearing in mind I was then only about 30 years of age.
I'm sure you know how temperamental some of the Ducatis can be but overall they are still great bikes to own and ride. I think the later FI models run better but are more complex and you also have the plastic tank swelling issues (I used to own a 2004 620i which was also very light) but note you are looking for an older model to suit the VMC purists.
motomartin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 04:58 PM   #13
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
If you want something light and lithe I have a '76 350 scrambler that I'm going to be selling. It gets historic machine status so tax and MOT are a simple click on the DVLA site. Kick start though so needs the nack.

I'd say go for a 750 pre fuel injection, the weights not really much different to the 600 or 900's. It gets you the age thing but then you do have a much older bike. Miles on the engines are not so much of an issue, I had a 750 run to over 80K.
Old 15-09-2022, 05:21 PM   #14
Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
red key only applies to injected (‘02-‘09ish ie & Sie) models with Marelli ECUs, it’s used to reprogram new keys to the immobiliser, no such worries with carbies and later models switched to a different system.
Thank you it's almost certainly a carb model that I'll be looking at so that won't be a concern then.
Old 15-09-2022, 05:38 PM   #15
Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomartin11 View Post
I understand where you are coming from and can recommend the early Monster models for lightness of weight and ease of handling.
I'm 6 years younger than you and quite a few years ago decided to sell my heavier bikes due to the weight of moving them especially around my workshop.
I find my '96 750 Monster quite light in comparison to many larger capacity bikes.
I owned 2 GS750s back in the day and a 550 and 1000 but when in 1987 I swapped my GS750 for a 1986 GSX550 the difference in weight was very noticeable bearing in mind I was then only about 30 years of age.
I'm sure you know how temperamental some of the Ducatis can be but overall they are still great bikes to own and ride. I think the later FI models run better but are more complex and you also have the plastic tank swelling issues (I used to own a 2004 620i which was also very light) but note you are looking for an older model to suit the VMC purists.
Thank you for your reply I do love riding my GS750 and thought about a GS550 but there's not a great deal of difference in the weight. Also, the centre of gravity of my Suzuki is high, it's top heavy as well as just plain heavy.

Talking of temperamental, I do remember one or two interesting times with my 900SS I've heard of plastic tank issues, not just with Ducati either, but they are steel on early Monsters aren't they? Which reminds me, one of the interesting times I had with my 900SS was the petrol tank rusting through underneath, me patching it up temporarily because I couldn't find a rust free replacement, and then the regulator/rectifier going up in smoke. One of life's sphincter-twitching moments

The 25 year bit with the VMCC isn't exactly for purists, it's because some of the rides & events etc I like to participate in are for classic bikes only, for many of the rides it doesn't really matter what we use.

Brian.