UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Winter commuting questions

Old 14-04-2023, 08:07 AM   #46
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Well done for taking the Winter head on and winning.
I've only done just over 1200 miles since mid December on selected days.

I'm not dissing heated socks, just the abysmal HEATED APPAREL ones.
I will probably have another go with some more next time round. The socks do help a bit after a fashion, but that particular deal was extremely poor.

I've heard good things about heated gloves, but to be honest my new heated grips work really well with inner gloves. They wick the heat all round my hands.

Like you I found that new tyres transformed the experience.
Old 09-01-2024, 11:23 AM   #47
jamminbmx

Bike: M600
Hello all! Dredging this up again!

The cold weather here (-6C) killed my Suzuki starter solenoid.

I'm going to go on the Monster 600 tomorrow. Same temperatures! Do you think I will make it?

Cheeeeers!
jamminbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 12:10 PM   #48
Mark64
Bronze Member

Bike: S4r
I've tried heated grips and heated gloves (not at the same time) and I found the gloves to be way better, my thumbs were always cold with the grips but never with the gloves, the elements were in the back of the hand and had a separate wiring loom that threads through your jacket and plugs in to the bike, highly recommended
Mark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 12:43 PM   #49
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Goodluck Jamminbmx stay safe and warm
Old 09-01-2024, 02:05 PM   #50
jamminbmx

Yeah I have heated grips on my Suzuki but my fingers still freeze. Especially in traffic when using the clutch a lot!

Monster does not have heated grips but will wear 2 pairs of gloves Looking at heated gloves too!

Cheers Jerry!
Old 10-01-2024, 10:02 AM   #51
mickj

Bike: M1200s
I went out on my Beemer the other day and the temp-o-meter said 3. It was bloody cold even with heated grips, and I did it for fun, wouldn't fancy having to do it for work.
Old 10-01-2024, 12:21 PM   #52
jamminbmx

Well I made it to work! It was -5 and the little monster purred along. No weird carb icing as it is very dry. My fingers were properly cold...but otherwise all good! Wearing 2 pairs of gloves just made sure I had even less circulation in my fingers. Not a solution Now just gotta get home!
Old 11-01-2024, 08:43 AM   #53
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Not sure if they are still available and ugly when fitted but I used handlebar muffs when I was commuting in winter which helped a bit by reducing the wind chill on the knuckles.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2024, 09:40 AM   #54
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Jeff (Utopia) made some really neat custom hand guards for Monsters some years ago, he probably still has at least one pair? Definitely worth asking him, as they won't be expensive and they work very well. Easy to take on and off too, with no mods to the bike.

I'm having a joy this winter with new heated socks, long johns and vest.
Lowest I've been is plus 3 and briefly a bit lower, but in absolute comfort.
I'll try and find links to the ones I bought a bit later.
Old 11-01-2024, 09:45 AM   #55
motomartin11

Bike: M750
Good thread. I don't need to commute by bike these days but do ride in the winter and even with much better tech I still find it difficult to keep warm even on a short blast.
I remember commuting during winter in the late 1970's when I wore a pair of wellies to keep my feet dry. They obviously provided no other protection whatsoever and shudder to think what injuries I would have suffered had I had a serious off.
I distinctly remember riding on to the a petrol station forecourt on the way to work on my DT175. Unknown to me it was a sheet of black ice and I inevitably came off but fortunately without and damage to me or the bike but to the obvious amusement of those around.
motomartin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2024, 11:55 AM   #56
jerry
Old Git

my solution is go to ride my bikes in winter is do it in Thailand ,,, but instead of heated gear wish there was some AC cooling gear and helmet ha ha ,, solution wear less ,

My daughters Ninja 650 has Oxford heated grips in UK they do work well and ACF 50 keeps it tidy .
Old 11-01-2024, 12:58 PM   #57
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

The heated long johns and vest I bought was from China, so be prepared for a long wait after you order, or pay a premium for English stocked goods.
After sales service is wanting too, but the suit actually does work and is very comfortable.
I just wear Kevlar jeans and a jumper and jacket over the top instead of the multiple layers that I used to before the heated gear.
You'll need a 5v dc usb source from a battery or device on you bike. They don't provide that!
Never dealt with Fruugo before and probably won't be rushing to again. Pretty sure these are the ones I got.
https://www.fruugo.co.uk/mens-heated...61?language=en

Oh and you need to order a couple of sizes bigger than your normal size as Asian sizes are miniature. Study the size chart.

I bought usb leads and plug them into my bike, which has two 5V usb outlets.

The socks, my second pair, are much better than the first ones. Seems to be a bit of a lottery with these chinese made things!

These ones come with batteries and work well. I chopped the plugs off and extended the cables with speaker cable, so I could have the batteries in my pockets rather than in my boots where I can't get to them and also they'd be a tight fit in there!
I find it best to air them after a ride. they are washable apparently.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385145783...3Avlp_homepage

Looks like the price has gone up since I bought mine. Surprise! I think the prise rises as the temperature drops?
Old 11-01-2024, 02:04 PM   #58
jamminbmx

Cheers Gazza! Its just my hands that bother me...I wear an extra jumper and drink a piping hot mug of tea before I set off. This seems to work for everything else After your first sock review I am kind of off the idea anyway!

Getting a new job in Thailand also sounds nice...ball ache of a commute though.

Today I tried those disposable handwarmers in my gloves. They kinda helped but fingers still froze up.

I'm heading towards heated gloves hardwired to battery. Sooo the next question...can I connect unlimited connections to the battery terminals?

Already have an Optimate connector there. Obviously won't be used same time as the gloves!
Old 11-01-2024, 03:22 PM   #59
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

These second pair of socks are a whole lot better than the first ones I reviewed, that was more a warning to stay clear of that seller than to put you off heated clothes.
I've got three speeds on the new ones and the batteries last a good hundred mile or more on the hottest setting.

Be aware of the voltage when you buy anything, most seem to need 5 volts. You'll be putting 12-13V into them if you come straight off the battery. Best to have some sort of controller in the circuit too.

Did you see post 54 about Jeff's hand guards? That could be a simpler way forward for you?
Old 12-01-2024, 12:24 AM   #60
jerry
Old Git

My daughter Katria works outside all year round training horses in UK, and being half Thai she is very sensitive to cold weather , so she wears a battery powered heated gillet under her riding jacket , and decent thermal underwear and socks under here riding breeches ,, She cant wear heated gloves as not sensitive enough for handling a horse ,,,when it rains she has and over rain jackets and trousers .

Similar issues to motorcycles she usually takes a couple of changes to work and several pairs of horse riding gloves as they get wet she sets them aside to dry , she also has heavy work gloves for yard work.