UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Greetings from Hong Kong and...

Old 01-06-2015, 03:18 PM   #1
HongKongPhooey

Greetings from Hong Kong and...

...here's my Monster story.

Years back I used to be a motoring journalist, writing for car mags in the fabled EMAP Towers in Peterborough. I won't say which; you'll hate me.

However, downstairs from my office were some awesome magazines like Performance Bikes, RIDE and BIKE. The MCN boys would pop in regularly. Out of all the bikes the two-wheeled hacks used to rock up on, the Ducati Monster was the one I remember from back in the day, when it first came out.

I remember clearly that the Monster looked right and sounded right, even to a four-wheeled chap like myself.

A few years later I took my direct access and vowed to buy one. Then things got busy at home, I stared working overseas and now I'm in Hong Kong.

These days, I chop about HK on a Vespa ET8; clearly, that can't continue so I'm shopping for my first Monster after all these years of craving one. They are popular here as sports bikes tend to be a bit useless on the everso tight roads with not many straights, but a Monster is at home.

Problem one; they fetch serious money; you can get a decent R1 for much less than a Monster. Hornets are almost half the cost of a similarly aged Monster and a 600RR is a handful of cash cheaper.

Problem two; where to start? Which Monster is value for money and gives oodles of smiles for miles? Old school is cool for me, an air cooled Monster it has to be. M400 models are few and far between, but useful in HK. But should i just go straight to a 600? Or fish about for a 750?

Problem three; I've scoured a lot of sites already, but where can I find a decent Monster buying guide? I'm pretty mechanically savvy, but what are the bits to look out for and which should I walk away from?

Any advice for a noob that has seen the two-wheeled Monster light would be very gratefully appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Old 01-06-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Welcome to the forum and there's plenty of info from this site for all your needs.
A 600 or 620 is getting on a bit now and you'll need to find a good condition and well recorded one to be sure it's ok.
The newer models from the 695 and then the 696 and 796 models really stepped up the game as keep that classice Monster style.
UK prices for the M1100 are from about £5,000. The newer models, 696 onwards also benefit from the longer service intervals.

you thinking of buying locally or from the UK >?

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:55 PM   #3
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
M600, best Monster ever and from what you say would be perfect for HK.

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
pompone
MaleDucati

Bike: M900
Hi and welcome. Find a 900 carbs (not the first injection) for classic status or one with a 1000 lump (one if the best Ducati engines IMO) for the old ones. On the new one even though the 1100 EVO is actually really good I'll have the 1100s as it isthe last of the dry clutches.
Re buying guide no bike out there will be perfect. You're looking for something that has been loved
Old 02-06-2015, 02:02 AM   #5
HongKongPhooey

Thanks JP!

Will have to buy locally as shipping wouldn't really add up. Import tax for HK is 35% of the value, so it would have to be a pretty good deal to make it worth the effort of bringing it in.

Seems like anything 600-floured gets the general vote, which fits with my initial overview. Best learn Chinese for the second-hand websites in HK!
Old 02-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #6
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
A 600 would do fine for HK, a 750 if you can get one does put out a bit more power (but not too much more) but is just as tractable but much less common.
Given the possibly weavy nature of riding in some areas you'll find the limited lock a pain sometimes but you'll adapt to it.

The engines are mechanically noisy, if it was a car engine you'd probably shake your head and walk away but they are like that.
Critical is that the belts change once a year.,. you want to know that's been done!!
Old 02-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
http://www.adpost.com/hk/vehicles/13055/

How about this ???

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:57 AM   #8
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
Critical is that the belts change once a year.,. you want to know that's been done!!
It's every two years for belts ? not every year I think you'll find Nick.

If you find a bike where there isn't a record of the most recent full service , then get the belts changes straight away. It's not the cheapest of jobs beacuse of the time it takes, but much better than taking the risk. And it's not about mileage, it's about time because the meterial can breakdown regardless of miles.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #9
steeevvvooo

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
that looks decent value IMO if it's in good condition. It's about £3.6k vs a 2012 1100EVO I saw in a dealer for the equivalent of £9.3k.

As with all things, budget and taste will determine what is best for you. Older monsters have the classic lines you may remember from first seeing the bike, but the 696/796/1100/1100EVO were a big improvement in many ways. The 821/1200 are another leap forward but not to everyone's taste.

I've had an M600, S2R1000 and now have a 1100. All very good and I enjoyed them all but condition is key. Look for one that has had money spent on it, ideally with dealers unless it's a one owner bike and the owner can convince you he knows what he's doing! Dry clutches are noisy, engines are not "sewing machine" quiet like some jap bikes and the low down fueling can be a bit lumpy.

There are loads of aftermarket bits, and if you gp for a 696/796/1100 don't worry about the colour as the tank panels can be changed for a few hundred quid.

Enjoy the hunt!
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:20 AM   #10
HongKongPhooey

Thank Kato!

That one is sold...

This M400 was up for sale... http://www.myadpost.com/ngninghong/
But the owner changed his mind and dropped the ad. A white Monster appeals; not many white around HK.

Thanks for the advice steeevvvooo. I do like the older classic lines, so I think that's what I'll go with for now. And ideally a 600 or 750.

Colours seem to be a very personal thing. White is top of my list followed by a Dark or even yellow. Red is obviously classic, but HK is awash with them.

Thanks so much for all your encouragement folks... Now the missus has given the thumbs up I'd best get shopping quickly before I lose my window of opportunity!
Old 03-06-2015, 08:51 AM   #11
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Even yellow!!!!!!

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #12
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
It's every two years for belts ? not every year I think you'll find Nick.
True! I forget not everyone has a 12K + a year riding habit so I do annual changes
Old 03-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #13
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Blimey, Kato, how on earth did you find that.
A top response once again.

Hello and welcome.

Its a personal choice but old school, aircooled is good in my opinion. And if you do your own maintenance you'll find them one of the easiest bikes ever to work on.
If you wanted the Ducati dry clutch rattle then you'd need a 900 or bigger, but the wet clutch on the smaller motors is longer lived and needs less maintenance as well as perhaps being softer to use around town.
All monsters seem to have heavy clutches to some degree or other but an aftermarket slave cyl will lighten the pull (at the possible expense of ease of finding neutral at a standstill).
As said already, cambelts need changing every two years but in fact its a simple diy job if you have even minimal mechanical skills.
Valve clearances are another matter though, and its probably worth checking that this isn't overdue on any prospective purchase and if so, allowing for it in the price.
Reg/recs are known to fail regularly , causing the battery to boil its acid ...check for acid staining on the frame, left hand side.
Older bikes can develop a leak around the hinge area of the petrol tank, probably due to it being raised and supported on the prop while still heavy with fuel.

I have a 750 myself, still love it to bits after 8yrs or so and would suggest that you consider one if you can find one.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:43 AM   #14
HongKongPhooey

Ha ha ha! No offence intended, Dirty!

Yellow is a majorly auspicious colour in HK (it means royalty or something like that), so yellow Monsters are everywhere as traditionally if you sit on something yellow you are royal or some sort of emperor. That makes your yellow Monster your HK throne (should you ever ride it over here)!

Yeah, so... white or Dark first choice.

Living in HK can sometimes be culturally complicated...
Old 04-06-2015, 01:49 AM   #15
HongKongPhooey

Thanks Utopia! Sound advice; very much appreciated.

I am shamed to admit that I currently run a Vespa as my Hong Kong hack. I had no clue how to work on it so bought all the parts and cleared a weekend to learn how to change the rollers and belt, service the clutch and Bendix, solve a sticky starter, change the brake pads and fluid. I got tinkering on a Friday after work thinking it would be the start of a knuckle scraping weekend of hell. It was actually pretty simples and all ready to go later the same night; I took it for a heck of a blast over the hills.

Fair to say I think I can turn my hand to most mechanical things and I'm encouraged by your comments on the self-servicing of the Monster. Valve clearances on the Vespa are a mare, so no intention of doing them on a Monster either, but everything else I'd be keen to have a go at.

I'm off to the HK Ducati dealer at the weekend. It's a fair trek as they are miles away fro civilization, but got to be worth a look!