UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Service @ Ducati Ashford and EVO 1100 test

Old 03-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Service @ Ducati Ashford and EVO 1100 test

Big thumbs up to Ducati Ashford for my second year service on Thursday. I got down there nice and early before they opened so as to give the bike a chance to cool down after a 40 mile ride. As per usual met with friendly people and a curious look at bike. "Wasn't it Carbon" . I said yes but wanted a change again.
It was due for a minimum 4 hours service inc belts etc so after a coffee and browse and drool over white/red 848 EVO and a carboned red Diavel I asked if I could go for a spin on the demo 1100 evo monster. No problem at all sir. Filled in the forms and said just go for a spin for a couple of hours. Put some fuel in it though thats all.

A quick dab of the starter and the nice noise of them stubby stacked cans immediately floated my boat. Reminded me slightly of old school triumph sound. In with the now very light clutch and into 1st and then a stall. Hmm that bites and feels different to the 1100S.
Apparently they bite and work different as its a slipper. A bit more revs and off down the road. It felt very nice indeed. Feels strangely lighter than mine but it isn't at all. The bars are higher and is ok too. Better for getting to shock adjusters and probably long distance. Not that I ever had a problem with mine.
The revamped seat looked nice stock and felt good. Nice touch with the red stitching too. The now solo front foot controls felt better and looked good and felt like the same position as my rizomas so thats a big plus. Nice plus is also that if you ride solo you can remove the pillion too.
Opening it up it felt good. As good as the 1100S but no better at all imho and Rallys too . That extra 5 hp I will never use or could not feel it. Its not as sweet as the 1100s I feel due to mine being twin spark plugs but non the less fantastic grunt. The shocks were great and made me realise how mine could be adjusted to ride so I got them adjusted on Friday at Mallory by Tony @ Ducati Wolverhampton .
Brakes felt slightly better maybe because of abs or maybe because newer ?
I retraced my route that I took 8 years ago when I first ever rode a Ducati Monster. A brand new s4r. It still made me grin like I did back then. This bike does it all. Had I not already got an 1100S Monster this would be the bike of my choice. Its docile and fast if you want it. Its comfy and safe. Its economical and sounds brilliant without spending money on new cans.
Basically its very rideable and all the not so nice bits tweaked. Loved it.

Better in my opinion :-
Exhaust system
Tea tray but needs chop
Footrest controls
Clutch effort

If your out looking for a new monster try one and see for yourself. Better value than the 1100s at less then 9K against £9750 2 years ago.

I had 2 hours of fun and some great scenery of Kent Downs

Last edited by Albie; 03-07-2011 at 11:26 PM..
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:17 AM   #2
randall356

When I test rode the 1100s I found it really lumpy under 4000 revs. My 696 is fine down until about 2000, what's this evo like?
Old 04-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall356 View Post
When I test rode the 1100s I found it really lumpy under 4000 revs. My 696 is fine down until about 2000, what's this evo like?
The EVO is even lumpier under 4000 revs than the 1100S, but that is not really a problem - I am waiting for a 14T sprocket to put on mine to make the lower gears a bit more comfortable and once it has had its first service I doubt it will be under 4000 Revs very often
As Albie says, the 1100S has a smoother engine, but the EVO has more grunt.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
uksurfer
Its all grey now

Bike: M1200s
i think to have a name like 'Evo', it needs to be a bit rough around the edges, silky smooth just wouldnt be right IMHO
Old 04-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
steeevvvooo

Bike: M1100evo
maybe BSD will be able to fix it...

http://bsd.uk.com/2010-ducati-monste...ens-ecu-remap/

They should be putting a write up on my S2R on the site soon, so I'll start a separate post when they do. For now, let's just say they did a great job!
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
simon_g

Bike: M695
They look like nice bikes, didn't realise they were cheaper than the previous 1100 models.

Worth a grand over a 796 with ABS though? Seems to get you an extra 13bhp and some more torque, and not a lot else!
simon_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
singletrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_g View Post
They look like nice bikes, didn't realise they were cheaper than the previous 1100 models.

Worth a grand over a 796 with ABS though? Seems to get you an extra 13bhp and some more torque, and not a lot else!
More torque, extra BHP, traction control and adjustable front and rear suspension and ( in my opinion) a better looking exhaust.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrack View Post
the 1100S has a smoother engine, but the EVO has more grunt.
Imho and rallys there is no noticeable power gain. Dont believe any faster at all. If there is you wouldn't notice anyhow.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #9
singletrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Imho and rallys there is no noticeable power gain. Dont believe any faster at all. If there is you wouldn't notice anyhow.
Fair enough - It is a long time since I have ridden the 1100S, the engine on the S is definitely smoother though.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
Rally
Taking life easy........

Smoother and faster revving as well I think. We will give them a straight line race when we meet next Anne!
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
singletrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
Smoother and faster revving as well I think. We will give them a straight line race when we meet next Anne!
LOL - I think not!
Old 04-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #12
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrack View Post
LOL - I think not!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
I find them both nice to ride. I wont get into any wars of words. As I said I find them fast and powerful and overall feel the same. Ones had visual tweaks and the other will be a classic with exotica forks. Not much of a lifetime 2 years. I believe its because Ducati never gave it any more power than stock M1100.

I would like folk to buy the EVO from Ducati because its a great bike and Ducati Ashford asked me to put my opinions on the forum. Its far better than the 696 and 796 because they give it adjustable suspension. Thats worth a grand in itself.

Great bike straight from the box.

Anne if you get full system termi I will buy your old system