UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Rosso Corse

Old 25-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
number24

Thumbs up Rosso Corse

Just got my bike back this evening from RC after a service and it feels fantastic! They sorted my suspension out, put a bit on the preload and adjusted the forks.

Massive thumbs up from me, and wallet feels much lighter!
Old 26-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #2
Davidg1230

A thumbs up from me too, I dropped mine off there yesterday also and together with my rear brake issue, they did a basic oil change and chain adjustment and lube. They spotted that my rear chain sprocket was on back to front and fixed, dangerous apparently? He also mentioned that the bike was fine but not running as smooth as it should.

Next time I'll need a full service, £300-£400, new tyres at £200 and new chain at £100ish, ouch!

Monster ownership is not going to be cheap then?
Old 26-05-2011, 06:49 AM   #3
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
I'm not sure David that those costs would be any different for a lot of other bikes, Monsters aren't more expensive to own in general, unless you start blinging them up.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
Davidg1230

Yes, you're probably right. Is £300 to £400 about right for an annual service? I paid £250 yesterday for the oil change and basic adjustments plus the rear brake cylinder and fitting.

I used to pay around the same for servicing on my old scooter so I know these prices are what they nowadays. Still, expensive business running a bike bike...
Old 26-05-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Learn to do some of the work yourself

DIY is the best way to save cash
Old 26-05-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
Davidg1230

That's a good idea. I've already downloaded the workshop manual and just need to work out what additional tools I need and what I can realistically do myself. I'm fairly technical and suppose basic oil changes and fluid checks would be routine. Not sure I would want to play around with the brakes myself though. Does the workshop manual give you enough on how do these basic service procedures? Must admit, I've not looked at it yet....
Old 26-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
number24

Brakes are probably the easiest part in my opinion. I dont mind paying 3-400 hundred a year to have it professionally looked over. I think to reduced costs I'll be doing interim oil changes myself and may attempt the belts myself too. My bill was 398 quid, which was labour and then various seals, oils, brake fluids, stand bypass switch etc. + VAT.
Old 27-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
number24

David - You need to change your personal settings to accept PM's....
Old 31-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
mrbryanmarshall

I've been using these guys for about a year. I do as much as possible myself but there are just somethings you can't do...like undoing the rear wheel if it's been tightened too much...

Speaking of which, they have a habit of over tightening nuts...or not enough. I took my bike in a year ago for a new chain. They forgot to tighten the pinch bolts which caused the bike to erm, be interesting...having said that they organised a pick up and fixed it that evening all free of course.

However, when it came to adjusting the chain tension. I couldn't get them undone. I took it into Metropolis - whom are massively expensive, but closer to home - and they had to get some bolt-eeze stuff on the bolts to get them out.

Besides these 2 minor things, I continue to use them and definitely recommend them. The labour costs are about 2/3rds of Metropolis (if not half) which is a massive saving. They are very friendly and know their stuff. Metropolis didn't want to fit supplied parts, these guys do. They have no problem with me bringing in wheel nuts and chains and sprockets that i've sourced but can't fit.

Another example: Metropolis wanted around £600 for a set of new tires plus fitting etc, these guys did it for around £230 all in. This was a while ago, but much cheaper than the alternative. Pirellis are Pirellis after all...

Again, highly recommended. The only problem is that I justify buying new bits for the bike from the saving on the labour etc for services and big maintenance bits... :P
Old 31-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
Davidg1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by number24 View Post
David - You need to change your personal settings to accept PM's....
I have? all options checked to allow for pm's will check again
Old 31-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #11
number24

I can't remember what i was going to say, just that i would definitely recommend them!
Old 31-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #12
Davidg1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbryanmarshall View Post
I've been using these guys for about a year. I do as much as possible myself but there are just somethings you can't do...like undoing the rear wheel if it's been tightened too much...

Speaking of which, they have a habit of over tightening nuts...or not enough. I took my bike in a year ago for a new chain. They forgot to tighten the pinch bolts which caused the bike to erm, be interesting...having said that they organised a pick up and fixed it that evening all free of course.

However, when it came to adjusting the chain tension. I couldn't get them undone. I took it into Metropolis - whom are massively expensive, but closer to home - and they had to get some bolt-eeze stuff on the bolts to get them out.

Besides these 2 minor things, I continue to use them and definitely recommend them. The labour costs are about 2/3rds of Metropolis (if not half) which is a massive saving. They are very friendly and know their stuff. Metropolis didn't want to fit supplied parts, these guys do. They have no problem with me bringing in wheel nuts and chains and sprockets that i've sourced but can't fit.

Another example: Metropolis wanted around £600 for a set of new tires plus fitting etc, these guys did it for around £230 all in. This was a while ago, but much cheaper than the alternative. Pirellis are Pirellis after all...

Again, highly recommended. The only problem is that I justify buying new bits for the bike from the saving on the labour etc for services and big maintenance bits... :P
Thanks for the reply, when I collected my bike last week, Ray said that a new set of tyres would have been around £200, I'm assuming a similar price to you after fitting and Vat.

A very good point about bringing your own parts and getting them to fit, I'll be needing a new chain soon, plus fitting a 14t front sprocket. I guess these will be cheaper if I source myself?

What prices have people had for a general annual service?
Old 31-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #13
mrbryanmarshall

@ David -

Defo cheaper if you get the bits yourself/do as much as you can yourself.

Eg. oil filter+postage = £10. At a dealership you'r looking at £25+Vat+fitting. I got a 4lr Silkolene 10W40 for £27, last oil bill at last service was £47+VAT+Labour... I can list the same for Fuel filter, plugs etc...all of which you can do yourself with basic tools and an hour or so.

Re. Chain and sprockets: I got a red AFAM chain for less than the supplied standard chain last year. Front Sprocket is about £15 if you can find one - the Moto Rapido are great and friendly to ask what you need.

One word about eBay - even if the shop/user has great feedback and the description says it will fit your bike, you can never be sure - i've been caught out like this before. with brake pads... you can return them 9/10 times but the hassle factor is massive.

re. tires...probably a bit more now due to increased VAT and never ending price hikes but yeah, you can't argue with £250-£300 for new tires, fitted and VAT.

My service this year will cost about £160.

£11 Oil Filter
£15 Fuel Filter
£27 Oil
£10 for NGK Iridium plugs
all fitted by me
Timing and fuel air/tune up about £100 labor at RC...(tbc as it is going in on Thurs!)
brakes etc are fine, done 6 months ago...

last year i was looking at £400 without doing the above...
Old 31-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #14
Funkatronic
another year another bike

Bike: S2r 1000
Rosso Corse are great, but paying anyone by the hour the costs mounts up. that said their Hourly rate is lower than most

i have always found RC to be very happy fitting parts bought by me elsewhere and have be happy to give advice and shown me others how to do things little ourselves, and have more than once dug me out of a pickle at very short notice (ie 7.30 on a friday night with a sticky clutch) often without charging me a penny
I have found them very conscientious but on the odd occasison where a mistake is made they will have sorted it no quibble.

all this just means that i am more than happy to take my bikes there for the expensive, complex stuff when it needs doing and just grimace when i get the bill ;-)

all in all i couldn't be happier with the service i get for RC, they make riding a ducati in london pretty hassle free

I wouldn't take a bike to metropolis ever if i could avoid. its staffed largely by trainees straight out of lambeth college and the service is poor and expensive. i have seen many a bike scratched up, things not put back together correctly and non ducati parts used even warranty servicing!!
Funkatronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #15
Headhunter
THFC

Bike: M620ie
Marcus and Ray will always get my custom. I like them so much that I'm trying to organise a group of Ducati owners out here (UAE) who want a professional to work on their bike(s) and getting RC on a plane out here.

Thankfully my best mate has all the relevant tools and an air conditioned garage to boot (won't even go into the list of bikes she has).

I think this speaks volumes to how good they are.

Sir Winston Churchill
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote