UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Best reg/rec replacement for early M900?

Old 18-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
Edcase

Best reg/rec replacement for early M900?

My reg/rec has been on the way out for a while now, and with spring on the way I'm looking to get a few things sorted on the bike - this being the main one.

I read a while back that rather than just replacing the standard (and therefore still eventually prone to failure) unit, there was a newer/uprated one that was a direct replacement?

Anyone possibly point me in the right direction please?

It's a 93 M900. Also is it a relatively easy self-fix job?

thanks
ed
Old 18-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
This one >> HERE << ought to do the job.
It is a peasy job, unplug old one, plug on new one. You probably just need a 10mm spanner to unbolt the old one.
Old 18-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
Edcase

Awesome, thanks. That's actually one of the ones I have bookmarked - thanks very much! Should have done this a long time ago but have only used the bike sporadically over the last 6 months so it kept dropping off the priority list!
Old 18-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
dunlop0_1

Cheaper still.

http://ducatisportingclub.com/showth...ight=regulator
Old 18-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
Edcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlop0_1 View Post
I'm confused (easily done!)

So this would allow me to use the uprated 3-phase mosfet reg/rec on my single-phase loom?
Old 19-03-2012, 04:32 AM   #6
dunlop0_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcase View Post
I'm confused (easily done!)

So this would allow me to use the uprated 3-phase mosfet reg/rec on my single-phase loom?
Yes it does.
Connect the two yellow wires from your engine to any of the two yellow wires on the new reg just insulate and isolate the spare. Two reds from the reg go to the charge fuse on the air box. The two black or poss green go to earth (frame and battery).
Old 18-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Make sure you get the correct one; single-phase or 3-phase. I believe the one in the link is a 3-phase? but a '93 M900 will need a single phase.

How many yellow wires from alternator to reg/rec?

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
Edcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
Make sure you get the correct one; single-phase or 3-phase. I believe the one in the link is a 3-phase? but a '93 M900 will need a single phase.

How many yellow wires from alternator to reg/rec?
Yeah just found this:

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acata...ti-RR-Info.pdf

I think you're right. Will check that in the morning.

Am I right that the single-phase one on that site is not the uprated Mosfet type?
Old 18-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
Lima071

check wemoto m900
Old 16-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Judging from the bikes age, and the presence of only two yellow wires, you have a single phase alternator, as opposed to the later 3-phase alternators, which have three yellow output wires.
From memory, the electrex part number is RR51 (as opposed to RR53 for the three phase reg/rec.) but you would need to check that.
The only other thing to watch is that you get the same length wires and connectors as your original.

As far as I'm aware, there are only two types of reg/rec available.....
The std type, either direct from ducati or via an aftermarket supplier such as electrex/electrosport.
The "mosfet" type, made by Shindengen, which are reputed to be much better, but are also a lot more expensive. These operate on a completely different system.
There may be cheaper ways of doing the mosfet upgrade, but thats beyond my experience.

Electrex ones are around £70/80, but if you're patient I have seen them as low as £40.
I put one of these on mine a couple of years ago, and its been fine ever since.
It looks like the std one, but mine actually has an extra set of cooling fins, which has to help.
They come unpainted though, and mine furred up with alum.oxide in no time, so I recommend painting them. They get hot, so I used Halfords high temp paint in a sort of sparkly matt grey.

Yours, like mine, is under the yoke where it gets plenty of cooling air (as long as the bike's moving) which is better than the other location under the seat.
When you remove it, you'll find an unrelated multiconnector mounted behind it, which is to do with the ign switch. In the interest of improved cooling, I relocated this connector behind the headstock, on top of the airbox, to allow better flow around the reg/rec.

Weak point is probably the two connectors from the reg/rec, which are fairly exposed, and non-waterproof. Its well worth applying some vaseline or somesuch to keep the water out.
I relocated mine behind the battery where they stay nice and dry, but its was a bit of a fiddle.

Hope that a) helps, b) is accurate.
I'm not a natural electrician.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Hmmmm.......edit
Having just checked Nick's link, it would seem that the electrex ones might be mosfet type after all. I had always assumed otherwise.
If they are, then they are a very worthwhile upgrade as they cost little more than the std ducati part.
Still, I think the rest makes sense anyway.
Mine just plugged straight in...a direct replacement.
Old 16-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
Edcase

Thanks, that's really helpful.

Which model year do you have, and which reg/rec did you use?

The details are in this link: http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acata...ti-RR-Info.pdf

Judging by that and my image above it looks like I need the RR52?

thanks again
Ed
Old 17-04-2012, 02:58 AM   #13
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Glad you found it helpful.
I must admit that when I followed Nick's link I began to think that I may have added some confusion through my uncertainty as to whether the electrex ones are mosfet type.
I remain a little uncertain on that point

But yes, it looks to me like the RR52 is the one you need.
er.....when you order, you could maybe ask them if its a mosfet type or not....I'd be interested to hear their reply.
My bike is a 00/01 M750.
It has the 3-phase alternator and I fitted an RR53 reg/rec.
Old 17-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #14
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
Quote:
My reg/rec has been on the way out for a while now, and with spring on the way I'm looking to get a few things sorted on the bike - this being the main one.
Quote:
Anyone that could point a (automotive) luddite in the right direction, I would be extremely grateful.
Just curious, having had a couple of failures in the past reg/rec tend to fail not gently fade away (although the power from the battery does ).

What tests have you done to establish if the reg has failed or the alternator is dying/dead?
I only ask as you describe yourself as a "ludite" (good word) and may be looking at the wrong source of your woes.
Cheers.

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 03:06 AM   #15
utopia
No turn left unstoned

ps. The other connector from behind the reg/rec, that I relocated to improve airflow.....I've just remembered....I think it was a non-waterproof type, so I replaced it with a waterproof superseal type as the new location is a little more exposed.
Not that you'll probably bother moving that anyway, but.........