UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » OUCH - How much?

Old 04-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #16
He11cat

See Gary shops about for his rubber gear and got a good deal.... although the cost of fitting per stud was a tad pricey... as for the zip it took a good hour
Old 05-10-2011, 06:25 AM   #17
uksurfer
Its all grey now

Bike: M1200s
Service Prices at Woods

http://www.woodsmotorcycles.com/pdf/...%20pricing.pdf
Old 08-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #18
steeevvvooo

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg1230 View Post
new tyres, new chain, new front pads, new brake lever, some other worn bearings and clips, various fluids the final bill came to £802
all of that would be almost identical to consumables for other makes/models. As you say, labour wasn't too bad, and Rays rte is very cheap for London. All bikes use tyres, chains, pads bearings... and damage is always more expensive than you think im my experience (not matter how slight it might be)

I honestly think the servicing cost myth on Ducatis are higher because PEOPLE ACTUALLY LOVE, CARE FOR AND SERVICE THEM! (except for valve clearances and belts, which you didn't have done here?)

I have mates with jap sports bikes who don't service for 2-3 years! Mine is in to Rosso Corse at least once a year, and I change oil a couple of times a year etc.
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #19
He11cat

If it makes it easier a service without anything else at our jap dealer here .. £600... thats for a jap big sports bike

My Ducs are the first bikes that have been serviced at a garage my jap bikes got what they needed to keep them going..... different kind of love!!!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #20
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Gave on paying for services ages ago.. Last week tyres, due to a national crisis there weren't any maxis kicking around so got a set of Michelin pilot roads for the grand sum of £142 plus £25 to fit to the bike at my local tyre guys. Chain and sprocket changed too for an x ring.
Today was a quick service oil, filter and a few bits. The clutch bleed nipple snapped a few weeks ago so swapped out that and the banjo, and the rear brake switch didn't work (probably died months ago!) That was £25 all in. The new pads ended up with me splitting the caliper, extracting the pistons for a good clean as one was sticking, the seal was a bit ragged too but I had one off of something else (maybe KTM) that fitted.
That tied up my afternoon just leaving enough time for a quick blast over to Monmouth to make sure nothing was going to fall off.
Not sure what that would have ended up costing, possibly a new caliper.
Then I like fiddling
Old 08-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #21
neilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksurfer View Post
I bought my bike from Woods, and in addition to being up front about their service prices, they've assured me that the 2yr/15k belt service should cost no more than £400. That sounds fine with me considering the service intervals are every 7500 miles.

So I'm not sure if "Ducati = expensive servicing" is limited to pre-2008 models, because these prices are cheaper than what I used to pay for my Jap bikes seeing as they usually had 4k service intervals = £/service may be cheaper, but servicing is needed more frequently.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #22
mr noisy

If it makes you feel any better:
2001 996SPS 2 year service
New belts, New clutch basket & plates, no brake pads, re-shim 2 valves, 7 hours labour @£55, Grand total: £1130
Sadly that might be the end of my intended Monster
Old 02-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #23
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Ducati servicing does seem to be quite expensive.
On the other hand, particularly with my 2V, air-cooled carby model, they are ideal for home servicing.
Turn of a key and a flip of one catch, and the tank is raised, giving excellent access to the motor.
Air cooling keeps things nice and simple, only two cylinders to worry about, and cam belts that, despite the need for regular changes, are easy to get at on the outside of the motor.
No bodywork to remove on the monster either.
Even valve clearances are not as complicated as you might think...I did mine for £20 (two shims).

I've owned a few bikes, but the monster is by far the best for home maintenance.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #24
revver

I totally agree i have been putting the triumph trophy 900 back on the road and it is an absolute pig to work on, no room to move anything and to change the air filter you have to remove the tank coils and undo the carbs. The m600 is brill to work on but the valve cleatances have confused me though.