UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Chicken Strips - Riding Technique Puzzler...

Old 25-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
LouSCannon
These must fit a Monster?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Chicken Strips - Riding Technique Puzzler...

Went out for a brisk run out with a friend with his new S2R today. Whilst comparing bits in the pub car park we both noticed how different our tyres were marked.

He's a slightly bigger lad then me, and we tend to ride at about the same pace.

Our rears are similiar, however he's rubbing off a couple of extra MMs to me, but the biggest difference were the fronts, where I'm scrubbing off much of mine where as his more closely match his rears?

Now as he's a more experienced rider then me I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong in the bends? Anyone hear have any theories to what could be happening and what I should look for in my cornering?

The only other thing might be different is I have my tank bag on when I picked up on this, which I guess forces me slightly back away from the front... Need to take closer notice to the wear without the bag before I convince myself that has something to do with it though...
Old 25-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
dunlop0_1

AAAHHH chicken strips.........

Many theories regarding this issue, so here's mine.

Pick a corner/bend you know.
Go round it gradually increasing your speed.
Now you could get you knee down if you hang off the bike enough but -: you will still have chicken strips and probably go round the bend slower.

Want to go faster and loose the puff bands

The secret (not that secret) IMO is counter steering and speed (google it)

It's a revelation

I stand to be corrected.
Old 25-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
LouSCannon

No no, not meaning to start a conversation about lean and getting your knee down... we've already had a couple of those threads...

It's more the point I'm using much more of my front tyre then my friend who is on a very similiar bike travelling at very similiar speeds whilst our rears aren't that dissimilar... I'm quite happy with counter steering and couldn't give a hoot about the strips themselves... it's just thoughts around what the tyre wear is telling me.
Old 25-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
MrsJel

Understand - as far as I can tell its to do with the tyre's profile. I was running an S2R and took it to the edge quite easily - on the M696 I don't get that close - but then the tyre on the M696 is skinner than the one that I had on the S2R, so thats to be expected.

I'm sure there's more tech minded folk on here will explain properly.

Carole
Old 25-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
Paranoid Dave
Is it meant to do that?

Bike: Other Ducati
I was told it had a lot to do with how hard you pushed the front end in corners, and how much you counter steer. Dunno if it's true but my rears are always big chickens but my fronts wear nicely.
Old 25-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
dunlop0_1

I see said the blind man.

My 748 has a 60 series profile front as standard. Now this does not have any chicken strips, not because i am a particualrly good rider but the radius of the tyre being less than the normal 70 series does (to me) make it seem easier to loose the chicken strips due to a shallower curve (less lean angle required).

However, rider style and braking will affect this issue aswell.
Old 25-05-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
BluprintZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlop0_1 View Post
I see said the blind man
...who couldn't see at all.

Quote:
...but the radius of the tyre being less than the normal 70 series does (to me) make it seem easier to loose the chicken strips due to a shallower curve (less lean angle required).
However, rider style and braking will affect this issue aswell.
Very true, it's taken me ages to start trusting my tires since i got the m900 last April.
I was used to GS1000's etc, in the 80's, when the tire of choice was usually Metzeler and getting the bike over at silly angles wasn't a problem, although as Neil says, everyone has their own style of riding.
I'm crap on right-handers, don't know why but it's a bit like a phobia, i'm not as fast on rights as i am on left-handers, where i got my slider down for the first time yesterday, yahee!
According to my mate, who was following me on his BMW GS1200, i stick my knee out on left-handers but on right-handers, my knee is pretty much touching the tank, very odd!
I'm pretty convinced that the bike itself has a lot to do with it, as much as riding styles.
I have a Z1100R Eddie Lawson rep in my cousins workshop in Rossendale, that gets used very occasionally,`cos it's mint.
One of my mates has a photo of me from 1985, drifting the rear of the bike at a ridiculous angle on the way to Devils Bridge, up North.
I was never aware that i rode it like that, it just seemed normal, although there's no way i can ride the Monster in the same way, or style.
So Jim, i think there are loads of different circumstances that come in to play, for instance you would ride my bike differently to yours and vice-versa, different tires, suspension settings etc, will have an effect on how you ride and as such, it will show up on the tires.

G : )

Last edited by BluprintZ; 25-05-2009 at 09:09 PM..
Old 25-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
slob

Jim, your mate's S2R may may have somewhat different geometry/ride height.

or run right off the edge of a 60 Neil, as you'll no doubt find out shortly, most of the DD boys and girls use 70 profiles to avoid that.

George, it all depends which side you 'dress'... it's infallible until you discover that... now your jinx is broken, go and enjoy the right handers.

Last edited by slob; 25-05-2009 at 09:18 PM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #9
LouSCannon

Hmmm all interesting stuff thanks for that.

We're swapping bikes next run out so that might be interesting to see too.
Old 25-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #10
PDL

Which is the heavier bike? A lighter bike will need more speed to get the same lean angle.
Old 25-05-2009, 11:41 PM   #11
BluprintZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
George, it all depends which side you 'dress'... it's infallible until you discover that... now your jinx is broken, go and enjoy the right handers.
Har, Har, Har,......nice one Rob, although won't that affect the left-handers then? lol.
Glad you had a good time in S.A.

G : )
Old 26-05-2009, 06:50 AM   #12
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

What can make significant differences is:
  • Tyre type
  • Tyre profile
  • Front suspension set up
  • Rear suspension set up
  • Rider ability