UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » Touring

Old 02-10-2019, 10:29 PM   #16
Flip

Bike: M900
There's all kind of adventures to be had out there depending on how long you've got and how much money you want to spend doing it and you don't need an 'Adventure bike' to do most of them- before they were invented people just went on whatever they rode.

Like many here, I too have done quite a lot of miles around Northern Europe on my Monster but this year instead took my Thundercat round Brittany but on either bike the French country roads are just luurrvely.

Go old skool, get a map and pen out a route ay home before you go, don't stick too rigidly to it when you're there but avoid the tolls and motorways (unless you really want to cover big distances) and just enjoy the scenery and little towns and villages as you pass through them.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:45 PM   #17
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

My first continental trip to Italy over 21 days was to Pisa, Florence. Sienna. Urbino, Orvietto, Venice, Lake Como and back via San Remo, Anency, Verdun and Arras - 2 up on a GS400 - and all via green routes on a Michelin map, virtually no Peage or motorways. best holiday I ever had.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:33 AM   #18
Flip

Verdun- now there’s a very poignant place in History.

Sounds like the trip was amazing- I love hearing and reading about other people’s motorcycling travel stories.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:26 PM   #19
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
They’re on one of the highest dirt tracks in the Alps
That's a long way down !!
Old 03-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #20
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
That's a long way down !!
That trip has already been done

Having previously done the 'Long Way Round' too they're on the 'Long Way Up' now:

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/long-way-up-tv-/

And I guess by going electric this time it kind of proves that you really can tour on anything if you plan it well.

But no matter where you go or how you get there it's always nice to get on two wheels at some point- this was Rhodes a few years ago when I hired an Aprilia Atlantic and scooted round the Island for a few days.

But so much nicer when you do the whole journey by bike- back on the Monster and back in France:

One of my favourite Blogs though is by Ed March who rides literally everywhere on his C90:

https://c90adventures.co.uk/

Although it seems the Germans aren't happy that it might slow sales of GS's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDOOT-T2gKo
Old 03-10-2019, 10:19 PM   #21
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
I’ll definitely do an over-landing trip at some point. Spending months or even a year or two just travelling by bike is my big dream.

Look for a book called “in search of greener grass” cant mind the author Graeme something or other. Probably the best most realistic way to go about it, highlights some of the negatives too to give you a better idea than the ‘let’s do long way round’ nonsense.

Also google mondo enduro and terra circa, they guys are proper hardcore.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:38 PM   #22
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
Verdun- now there’s a very poignant place in History.
Part of my trip over last weekend was around the Verdun area.
Over quite a few years I've been travelling along the western front on my bike.
The Belgium front, followed by the British/ Empire lines. I'm now working my way along the American and French front
On my way to Verdun, I stopped at a small but poignant ww1 cemetery called St Symphorien.
Not only is it one of the few cemeteries with both British and German soldiers are laid to rest together. It's where the first and last British casualties from the conflict are buried. They were killed on the first and last day of the war.
The cemetery has to be one of the most peaceful I have visited.

Last edited by Grumpy; 03-10-2019 at 10:40 PM..
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:52 PM   #23
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1000 View Post
I’ll definitely do an over-landing trip at some point. Spending months or even a year or two just travelling by bike is my big dream.

Look for a book called “in search of greener grass” cant mind the author Graeme something or other. Probably the best most realistic way to go about it, highlights some of the negatives too to give you a better idea than the ‘let’s do long way round’ nonsense.

Also google mondo enduro and terra circa, they guys are proper hardcore.
I think that's the beauty of any trip- you make it what you want, as easy or as difficult, long or short etc.

Mondo Enduro and Terra Circa bring back great memories for me, they were always on really late (followed by a mad cooking program called 'Get Stuffed) watching them with my Dad when I lived at home.

They were a bunch of school teachers on DR350's who set off for a round the world trip in the days before mobile phones and sat navs filming it all on Super 8- legends!
I've met Austin Vince a few times since over the years- he's a funny bloke and worth seeking out if he's chatting about it all at one of the Motorcycle shows.

My wife bought me Elspeth Beard's book 'Lone Rider' for my Birthday last year- that's worth a read (the photos are good too), she was 23 when she set off on her BMW R60/6 (which she still owns) back in 1982 to be the first British woman to ride around the World solo, again in the days before technology and dedicated 'Adventure Bikes'.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #24
mickj

Bike: M1200s
The big problem with the long way up and it's "green" electric bike ride is the support vehicles drink more fuel a day than a couple of proper bikes would have used for the entire trip.
Old 19-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #25
ledheadlamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Any travel can be an adventure, depends on how you plan and view the trip.
I've been over to Belgium and France this weekend, covering a little under 1000 miles from Friday morning to Monday night.
Belgium was to pop and see a friend who I met through my travels with ukmoc.
The rest of the trip was visiting ww1 battlefields and monuments.
I've been travelling be motorbike, on various holidays, for years.
A couple of years ago the wife and I travelled from Orlando to New York, by motorbike, covering nearly 3k. We visited everything from world famous land marks to historic sites most Americans I've met have never heard of!
Ah you know what, most brits go on about touring in Europe but I bet there's tons to do in the US for bikers, and the best bit is they all know the language !!

Good shout that Grumpy
Old 19-11-2019, 06:49 PM   #26
Moco1961

Tour away

......so as we are neighbours we need to get together, yes to a tour or two, north coast of Scotland is a mega tour as a starter for ten but I would be up for Europe for sure , as grumpy says it's any accross the channel !
Old 19-11-2019, 08:24 PM   #27
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco1961 View Post
......so as we are neighbours we need to get together, yes to a tour or two, north coast of Scotland is a mega tour as a starter for ten but I would be up for Europe for sure , as grumpy says it's any accross the channel !
If you guys fancy something different, the Iron Butt association have a sponsored ride in June, which takes place every year. It's in aid of the Royal British legion.
There are a choice of routes around the UK of either 500 or 1000 miles in 24 hours.
I considering joining in using the Scottish loop of 1000 miles.

Otherwise I'm off into France over Easter travelling more of the WW1 lines around Verdun.
Old 24-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #28
Wasta

Been on several bike trips both solo and two up. Down to Florence on mostly B roads, another trip around the Mosel and last year into Germany on the Tuono
Old 25-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #29
Flip

Like Grumpy, I am already at the planning stage for next year's trip having already booked the Portsmouth to Cherbourg ferry (Early bird prices) on a five day return at the end of June.

In addition to that I hope to do an overnight visiting Ypres for the Menin Gate service again plus here in the U.K, the usual camp over at a couple of BSB and Classic Racing rounds.

Lets hope it's a looooong hot Summer!
Old 25-11-2019, 09:47 PM   #30
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
Like Grumpy, I am already at the planning stage for next year's trip having already booked the Portsmouth to Cherbourg ferry (Early bird prices) on a five day return at the end of June.

In addition to that I hope to do an overnight visiting Ypres for the Menin Gate service again plus here in the U.K, the usual camp over at a couple of BSB and Classic Racing rounds.

Lets hope it's a looooong hot Summer!
The Menin Gate service is one of the most moving moments linked to WW1 I have experienced. Whilst exploring the Ypres Salient over the past 3years, I have watched the ceremony several times. Each time when the last post is played, you cannot help but be emotional.