UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Fuels & Oils » Ethanol test for pump petrol

Old 06-12-2016, 04:47 PM   #31
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=54589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggsy View Post
Interesting.
I knew about Esso Super but not Total and Mobil, thanks for that.
However, I recently had an email from BP in which they said the position was constantly evolving and therefore they could not confirm if ethanol was present or not in their Super. (I think eeveryone's Regular has up to 5% Ethanol).
Luckily there's plenty of Esso around here.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:48 PM   #32
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Here's an interesting recent thread on the subject.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...hlight=ethanol
Old 06-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #33
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duke View Post
the reply 'maggsy' got from BP in the recent thread says ultimate will never have more than 5% ethanol until jan 2017 which of course isn't far away !! which to me sounds as if it does have ethanol in already.there is information on the net but a lot seems to be out of date & it would be nice to have a definitive answer to this ethanol question ..but it does seem safer to stick to the premium grades .
Old 06-12-2016, 04:50 PM   #34
Luddite

Update

I said in earlier posts (1 & 15) that the legal requirement for fuel companies to provide 'protection grade' petrol (i.e. petrol with no more than 5% ethanol content) expires on 31 December 2016.

Here is an extract from an email I received from the DfT:

"We aim to consult next year on a proposal to extend the requirement for larger forecourts to provide petrol with no more than 5% ethanol. We expect the proposal to be broadly similar to the current one.

We are in regular contact with suppliers who have been asked to give at least three months’ notice of any plans to introduce this fuel. As yet none have indicated they have any immediate plans to introduce E10."

So it looks like we'll be spared the introduction of E10 for the foreseeable future at least. We'll still need to hunt around for Ethanol-free fuel though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duke View Post
the reply 'maggsy' got from BP in the recent thread says ultimate will never have more than 5% ethanol until jan 2017 which of course isn't far away !! which to me sounds as if it does have ethanol in already.
There's a BP garage near me, so I'll test some of their Ultimate fuel this week and post the results on here.

In the meantime, Esso premium seems to be the only fuel definitely ethanol-free, in this part of the country anyway.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:43 PM   #35
Luddite

Here's a brief update. I got some BP Ultimate on Friday from a Southampton garage to check its ethanol content. I carried out the exact same test as at the start of this thread and was pleasantly surprised to find zero ethanol.

So, in Southampton at least, there are currently two sources of 'clean' fuel available.

Don't forget, it's a simple matter to check your own fuel; no special equipment is needed. If you're not trying to calculate the actual percentage of ethanol but just want to know if any ethanol is present, an old jam jar will suffice.

As I understand it, the addition of ethanol is not part of the refining process; it happens at distribution. The 'clean' fuel and ethanol are mixed in the tanker prior to delivery. Consequently, the situation at your local garage could change overnight, with the next delivery in fact.

I'll check again in a few months and let you know of any changes.

As for the legislation requiring suppliers to provide 'protection grade' fuel (post #34), this expired on 1 January 2017 and, so far, has not been replaced. Since the whole biofuel issue is as a result of an EU directive, perhaps this won't be reviewed until Brexit has been completed. Again, if I hear anything, I'll let you know.
Old 22-09-2018, 06:59 PM   #36
Luddite

Thanks to Mossleymonster for posting this link on this thread: http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...724#post559724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossleymonster View Post
Joy of Joys... The Government are giving us more Ethanol.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...-labelling.pdf
I've added it here to bring this thread up to date. This is the consultation that was promised earlier (see post #34 above). The previous legal requirement to provide "protection grade" fuel (Motor Fuel (Composition and Content) Regulations 1999) expired on 31 December 2016 so this is somewhat overdue.

I actually feel reasonably reassured by this for two reasons:

Firstly, the government has at least recognised that we exist:

"... a small proportion of older vehicles will need to continue to use E5. These include classic or cherished older vehicles; but also include a significant number of cars and motorbikes which are less than 25 years old..."

And, secondly, it looks like the legal requirement for suppliers to provide "protection grade" fuel of no more than 5% ethanol, will continue. As is the case now, while there is a statutory maximum ethanol content, there still appears to be no minimum figure for the "protection grade" fuel. This should mean that those of us in the right areas should still be able to use Esso ethanol-free fuel for as long as they see fit to supply it.

I would have urged everyone to write in and make our concerns known, but I see that the consultation period expired on 16 September, so we're too late!
Old 22-09-2018, 08:57 PM   #37
Darkness

Bike: M900
Thanks Gordon.
Old 22-09-2018, 10:55 PM   #38
Mossleymonster

Bike: M1100s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Thanks to Mossleymonster for posting this link on this thread: http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...724#post559724

I've added it here to bring this thread up to date. This is the consultation that was promised earlier (see post #34 above). The previous legal requirement to provide "protection grade" fuel (Motor Fuel (Composition and Content) Regulations 1999) expired on 31 December 2016 so this is somewhat overdue.

I actually feel reasonably reassured by this for two reasons:

Firstly, the government has at least recognised that we exist:

"... a small proportion of older vehicles will need to continue to use E5. These include classic or cherished older vehicles; but also include a significant number of cars and motorbikes which are less than 25 years old..."

And, secondly, it looks like the legal requirement for suppliers to provide "protection grade" fuel of no more than 5% ethanol, will continue. As is the case now, while there is a statutory maximum ethanol content, there still appears to be no minimum figure for the "protection grade" fuel. This should mean that those of us in the right areas should still be able to use Esso ethanol-free fuel for as long as they see fit to supply it.

I would have urged everyone to write in and make our concerns known, but I see that the consultation period expired on 16 September, so we're too late!
The F***ers like to keep these things quiet. And the arrest and imprisonment of Englishmen for telling the truth.

Last edited by Mossleymonster; 22-09-2018 at 10:58 PM..
Mossleymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:44 PM   #39
S4R Dude

Bike: S4r
I agree that the government do like to keep anything quite where it relates to the environment.......or the ability to further tax us.

But the arrest and imprisonment of Englishmen for telling the truth. Ha ha, little bit paranoid here methinks.

I have an S4R and when I know it will sit for a bit I put Aspen in the tank so I do not have to worry.
S4R Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #40
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossleymonster View Post
The F***ers like to keep these things quiet. And the arrest and imprisonment of Englishmen for telling the truth.
You are really boring, its all the same stuff that you spout. This is a forum about Monsters, this isn't the Daily Fails forum

**** off over there if you want to talk about this stuff
jonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #41
Mossleymonster

Bike: M1100s
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzi View Post
You are really boring, its all the same stuff that you spout. This is a forum about Monsters, this isn't the Daily Fails forum

**** off over there if you want to talk about this stuff
Old 02-10-2018, 10:16 AM   #42
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Just had an email from Esso.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

Please be informed that the Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free and we have no current intention to add ethanol to Synergy Supreme+.

I think it's still the only ethanol free fuel in the UK unless you live in Cornwall, parts of Devon and Tynside.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #43
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgt View Post
. Please be informed that the Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free and we have no current intention to add ethanol to Synergy Supreme+.
Good to know that’s still the case around here.

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #44
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Good to know that’s still the case around here.

Thanks.
Indeed, if true and if it remains to be the case then I'll try to use it where possible.

I always use super unleaded unless I've run out and only 'cooking' fuel is available and I've not had any ethanol related problems yet but as all my bikes are quite old and 2 are carburettor equipped, I'd rather not risk it.

At least they've all got steel tanks though...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:12 PM   #45
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
At least they've all got steel tanks though...
Having an 1100 Evo with a plastic tank, I've done quite a bit of reading into this subject. I don't want to sound like the voice of doom, DD, but it's not just us plastic tank owners who have to be careful; even steel tanks are not immune although they are at risk in a different way.

Obviously, they're not going to swell, but they can corrode. The corrosion mechanism works like this:

• Fuel is left in the tank for some time.
• The ethanol in the fuel absorbs water from the atmosphere.
• Once the ethanol is saturated and cannot absorb anymore water, it comes out of solution with the fuel and, being heavier, sinks to the bottom of the tank ("phase separation").
• Ethanol is a perfect food source for a particular microbe "acetobacter", which has been found in ethanol underground storage tanks.
• Once the bacteria have feasted on the ethanol, they produce acetic acid, which is corrosive to mild steel.
• The surface of the tank in contact with the ethanol will suffer from "aqueous corrosion" while any exposed area above the fuel will experience "gaseous corrosion". If you've ever opened your fuel cap after a winter hibernation and detected a faint whiff of vinegar, then that's acetic acid at work.

Perhaps potentially more damaging is the effect on any in-tank fuel pumps with their moving parts and critical clearances.

As I said earlier, I don't want to be a scare-longer - if you fill up every couple of weeks, then there won't be time for the ethanol to cause problems, (it's safe while it's in suspension with the petrol). But I think, if you're laying up your bike for any length of time, it's good practice to either drain the tank (and carbs if appropriate) or add an ethanol specific fuel stabilizer.

Roll on spring!

Last edited by Luddite; 02-10-2018 at 01:43 PM..