UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » I'm after a curvy teatray.

Old 08-01-2020, 12:57 AM   #1
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I'm after a curvy teatray.

For ages now I have been trying to figure out how best to fit the little led indicators from a Panigale to my yr2000 M750.
I just like their design, with their short but beefy stems, positive non-spin location and their angled faces which give good visibility while being neat and minimal.
In fact my favourite ever monster special, the NCR One-Shot uses the same std indicators despite everything else on the bike being redesigned to the Nth degree.
The project has resurfaced recently following this thread ...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...r+plate+holder

...which details Buzzbomb's attempts to do the same on his streetfighter.

So .....
The other day I bought a secondhand tail tidy for an 821, equipped with two of those very indicators ... so now I have a full set.
The front ones are easy enough to fit but I have struggled to come up with a suitable way of installing the rear ones.
The problem is that their stems don't match the profile of the attachment points on the teatray ... and I'm not going to botch them on .. I'd rather stick with the std ones.
The 821 tail-tidy has shown me an alternative method of fitting them, but I remain undecided for now on which way to go.

My current thinking is that I need to remodel the teatray to do away with the indicator mounting stubs and either ...
1) recreate a mounting on the teatray which matches the Pani indicators (be that either via new stubs or simply on a suitable flat area) .. or
2) obtain/make/modify a teatray with no mounting stubs at all and instead mount the indicators separately on a tail-tidy sort of affair.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the latter option but these things sometimes have a mind of their own once you get down to the nitty gritty, so who knows where I'll end up.

I want to retain the curvy style of teatray originally fitted to my "post-facelift" monster because I just like the aesthetics and think that its an iconic "monster" character piece.

And so to the questions ....

1) Does anyone know of an "off the shelf" carbon teatray that doesn't have the indicator mounting stubs on it ?
I've spotted a couple, namely ...
https://conquestracingltd.com/produc...bre-tail-tray/
... which would be perfect except that it has the four-point fixing and my frame needs a three-point. And ...
https://www.ducati-kaemna.com/kurzes...ster-2000.html
... which wouldn't be suitable as it requires the frame ends to be cut off, which would scupper the attachment points for my homemade luggage rack.

2) Does anyone have a spare (or knackered) plastic, three-point fixing, curvy teatray that I could use to make an indicator-stub-free plug, from which to make a mould, from which to lay up my own tray from scratch.

3) Better still if anyone has the above but in carbon, which I would probably end up simply modifying as the finished piece rather than bothering to make a mould.

Sorry if that's all a bit wishy-washy but at this point I'm not sure which way to go and it probably depends to some extent on what options come up .. if any.
My preferred choice would be option 1, but I've searched and haven't found anything.
Second choice would probably be option 3.

There is an "old softy" reason for doing this in addition to the practical stuff, namely that this is a mod which I had discussed with Buzzbomb on a number of occasions and it would be a nice memento to bring the project to fruition and fitment on the bike.

Ta very much ... just for reading all that ramble.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:34 AM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I often seem to come up against mating disparate shapes, at work, in modelling and building bikes. Every case is unique and involves a good deal of mental rumination sometimes resulting in a satisfying brain fart!

So I have two ideas for this one.
1) Make a short as possible fashion piece to morph from the tea tray mounting area, to the new indicators. I picture this being just long enough to accommodate a nut each end inside, shaped at the top surface and hollow beneath. Maybe the use of a threaded sleeve inside could lend more flexibility to the demand on length? In other words push the treaded stud of the indicator through the outer flange of the adapter then screw on the (custom) sleeve and pick the other end up through the tea tray, with a bolt to hold the whole thing on.
Making a handed pair is always a challenge, but should be reasonably easy using rigid foam, plasticine, clay, plaster of Paris or whatever medium you are happy with to produce plugs for a pair of wee mouldings.

2) This is a little fuzzier in my mind, but involves making a metal (alloy) bracket or bridge that would be sandwiched between the tea tray and number plate holder, or even possibly bonded to the underside of the tea tray? essentially this would feature a down turned ear at each end upon which to mount the indicators. The mounting face would be slightly inside that of the tea trays mounting faces for the original indicators.
The tea tray would then need to be neatly trimmed away to clear the new indicators, forming "wheel arches" for want of a better term.. Not sure if this would eliminate the disparate shapes or make it worse?

I wish I had an old tea tray to donate to this.. I am sure there are one or two around which will become available knowing this wonderful club..
Old 08-01-2020, 12:57 PM   #3
stopintime

Bike: S2r
Your mail adress on PM for photos, or imagine ....

cut the stubs and continue the cutting rearward, same height - slender tail piece with a nice flat base for most turn signals.

I painted mine, but that's optional.
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:35 PM   #4
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Mr Gazza ....Thanks for your thoughts, mate.
Your first strategy is pretty much what I've been pondering up to now.
Trouble is that the Pani indicators don't fit by bolting on but instead have a split housing in the tailpiece which clamps over a groove in their rubber stalk. This gives them a bit of flexibility in the event of them getting a knock on, for instance, the shed door frame etc.
I would like to retain this feature if I can, although an alternative would be to cut down the rubber stalk and then just bolt the indicators on solidly. This is what Buzzbomb has done on his modified numberplate holder .. and indeed, my method for mounting them at the front is similar to that but retains half of the rubber stalk, so they're semi-flexible. Its the rear ones that are most likely to get knocked though, so I'm ok with a bit more rigidity at the front.
On your second strategy .. it sounds a bit too messy to me but its not something I had thought of before so I'll file the idea away and maybe something can be developed from it.

Further to the std Pani mounting method, the thing that I learnt from buying the 821 tail-tidy is that instead of using the std fitting method of a two part, clamped up assembly around the rubber stalk, it is possible to force the fat end of the stalk through a suitably shaped and sized hole in the thin metal of the tail-tidy.
I may be able to adopt this method in a teatray whose mounting stubs I modify .. although its probably easier to use a plain-sided teatray and mount the indicators below on a tail-tidy kind of bracket. I could also do away with the std monster numberplate holder into the bargain, so it should look quite neat.

Thanks for taking the time to decipher my ramblings.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:41 PM   #5
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Lars ... email address will be pm'd shortly.
I think I can imagine (and it mirrors one aspect of my own thinking) but pics are always useful/interesting.

Thanks.