UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » A quandary... advice in the NW

Old 16-04-2024, 08:55 AM   #1
LouSCannon
These must fit a Monster?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
A quandary... advice in the NW

Morning folks! Long time and I hope this finds those I still remember keeping well!

Life has changed quite significantly for me over the past five years or so. I have however held on to the old '98 M900 that I bought from Gordon those many years ago and did a little cosmetic rebuild another quite a few years ago: http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=55114

She's sat in a damp small garage and although turning over and running under choke she's mis firing like a bitch and cutting out when off choke. Pretty certain the carbs needs coming off and cleaning given she was left standing for so long. She's also showing signs of needing a fair bit of cosmetic work, powder coating frame and casings.

I've not got the garage to do such work, and I certainly can't afford to pay Ducati dealer rates. So, two options I see are:

1. Anyone know private Ducati mechanic or garage very near the Chester / Ellesmere Port area who I could trust and wouldn't cost a fortune to strip her down for me.

2. Anyone with the means to do work who would consider buying her for a not ridiculously cheap price just because she's not running right now?

Or, any other ideas?

All the best folks... Jim
Old 16-04-2024, 09:31 AM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Good to hear from you again Jim. Anybody who's life hasn't changed in the last 5 years is either incredibly lucky or the most boring person ever! (Or maybe doing a 10 year stretch!)

I can't volunteer a local enthusiast who would do it up for you, but we have keen members in your area who might be up for it.

Regarding the lumpy post hibernation running; it could be just old fuel turned to vinegar?
A good flush out and new fuel might smooth it out a bit, removing any water in the process. Likewise new spark plugs should help.
Of course the tank breathers need to be checked and cleared and the vacuum fuel pump checked for correct operation.

I trust you're doing the try-starting with new belts after the lay up? They're at their crispiest after standing for a couple of years, even with no miles.