UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Regions :. » Region Announcements » Norfolk » Cold War History Day, West Raynham.

Old 02-04-2024, 06:11 PM   #1
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Cold War History Day, West Raynham.

I've just seen in the Canberra Heritage Trust Newsletter, that there will be a Cold War history day at former RAF West Raynham with presentations and displays, on Sunday April 14th from 10am.

I know we have got a meet planned for April 7th at Thorpeness, but West Raynham is always an interesting place with something new to see every time.

If no-one else is interested I'll go straight there, but if anyone fancies a breakfast at the Fakenham Garden Centre Café before trundling over to Raynham please let me know.
Old 05-04-2024, 07:11 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Sculthorpe Heritage Centre. 5th May.

Here's another one for the calendar.

The Sculthorpe Heritage Centre is having a "Grand Re-opening" on May 5th.
https://www.rafsculthorpeheritagecentre.org/

It's a struggling new museum and they are occupying new premises on the Former RAF Sculthorpe base. Grumpy and I popped in one day a couple of years ago and it's all very run down and desolate, much as you'd expect an abandoned air base to be.
This place needs to be remembered, it's so important in our history.
I remember my Dad telling me about the B-17s and Liberators forming up in their hundreds above Holkham and Wells. He also took my Mum there to see Glen Millar's Big Band much later.

It was the first overseas forward deployment of a nuclear force in 1952 when squadrons of North American B-45 Tornados arrived. Those were gradually replaced with Douglas B-66 Destroyers and remained there till 1962.
Sculthorpe was the largest nuclear arsenal in Europe for some time. I remember as a very young boy, seeing just about every aircraft type in service flying out over Wells.. All nuked up!

I recently found and with the help of Richard (Hamish) identified a B-66 canopy panel which is for sale at a local reclaim yard. I'm trying to get them to donate or at least loan it to the museum.

It's the RH roof panel behind the windscreen.

Anyway I'll be dropping in if you want to join me?

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 05-04-2024 at 07:14 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2024, 07:33 PM   #3
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

So, anyone interested in a ride over to West Raynham on Sunday?