UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Bike Reviews :. » Bike Reviews » M1100 » 1100 Evo Test Ride

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
Tomfoolery

Post 1100 Evo Test Ride

Bike: Ducati Monster 1100 Evo
Weather: Beautiful sunshine, 23º
Footwear: Daytonas

I've loved Monsters for a looooong time. But I've never had the desire to actually purchase a real one before now. Yeah, I've looked at M750/800/900s, but they've always been too expensive for what they are, and no substitute for my GS. A new one, however, a new one with Traction Control, ABS, fuel injection, decent service intervals, a single-sided swingarm and a killer exhaust note sounds ****ing brilliant.

I rode down to Hyside Motorcycles on the edge of East London hoping it wouldn't rain, chatted with the non-commital, but also not patronising manager dude, sipped a cheap coffee and had the bike warmed up.

The bike's loud. Proper, aftermarket race can loud. I instantly forget all ideas about stumping up £1300 for the Termi system. The bike's tiny. Buell tiny. The bike's pretty. Breathtakingly pretty. The proportions are cock-on. The gap between the rear wheel and seat unit, the trellis chassis, the thin-spoke wheels, the forks, calipers, that snaking exhaust. I even like the stacked exhaust cans. I hated them in the pictures, they dominate the bike, but in the flesh they melt into the whole. Lovely. Firstly, I stall it. I use two fingers on the clutch, and trapped my third and fourth behind the bar and lurched it. Ah, well.

Out into traffic and my hips are killing me. I have a weird thing where if I get into a certain position, a nerve or something gets pinched or whatever and I get pain. It's like cramp. It hurts for a few minutes, I shuffle around and it goes. If it continues, it's a deal-breaker. Thankfully, it never returns. Even when I stop for a bit then get back on. I sigh with relief.

The clutch is wet, unlike older Monsters and light, the 1/4 turn throttle is light and accurate, the brakes are great (although need adjusting for me) and the suspension feels lovely, but again not set up correctly.

The whole bike feels taught, light, stiff, eager and naughty. I don't realise how naughty until we get to some country roads and I'm cracking the ton, taking corners up to 30mph faster than the GS, with no effort. It turns in quick with little effort, gets to mid-lean and you can feel the stability once there. You can then decide what to do, lean more, less, brake, gas whatever. Lovely. The ABS is wonderful to use, and not intrusive in the slightest. You can feel it working at the lever, but the front end stays glued.

The engine is instantly my favourite. 8 stone less weight and another 20bhp means it leaps ahead compared to the GS, and keeps on revving where the GS slows. Six gears make good use of the power. It's happy down to around 2750rpm, pulls urgently then flies. On the brief motorway stint on the way back, I sit at 80 and have a play, and there's no need to change gear at all.