UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » M600 pick-up coil wiring

Old 17-05-2017, 04:46 PM   #1
Blacksheep

M600 pick-up coil wiring

Afternoon all,

I have an issue on some restore work where the cables for the pick-ups have been eaten away by leaking battery acid.

I see new pick-ups are available out there (from Electrex World).

Can anybody tell me, what does the other end of these new pick-ups look like? Do i have to join them to the remnants of my existing wiring harness? Do they come with the correct crimps on to attach to the Kokusans? Can I source these crimps and terminals from somewhere?

Cheers,

Blacksheep
Old 18-05-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
Dennis menace

Bike: Other Ducati
From memory I had to re-use the sleeving from the timing case and extend the wires supplied as they were too short. I used a draw wire to pull the new wires through the old sleeving. I twisted and soldered to extensions to the new wires and heat sleeved them but I guess you could use an in-line crimp connector but that would be bulky with four wires. The new wires on the Electrex World pick ups are different colours to the old ones so be careful to follow the instructions. I don't recall the new pick ups having any terminals and I think I joined mine in-line to the old wires, again soldering and heat sleeving. Obviously two in-line connections per wire is not good so you might want to replace the connectors near the battery with wires that reach right to the new pick up ones. Again from memory I think they are just spade connectors at the end. The new pick up wires barely reached the end of the sleeving that comes out of the timing case. That said, the new pick ups worked well. Don't overtighten the pick up holder screw and gap the pick ups correctly.
Dennis menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 11:23 AM   #3
Dennis menace

Sorry went all italic by mistake!
Old 18-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
When I hardwired my reg/rec I made my own copper crimp connectors by wrapping thin copper sheet around a suitable sized drill shank.
I then covered these with glue-lined heatshrink, which both seals and strengthens the joint.
This avoids soldering, which can cause weak points, flux residue corrosion etc.
Its also better than using one-piece crimps already fitted with the glue-lined heatshrink as this gets damaged when you crimp them (and they're too big and bulky anyway).

More recently, I've found these plain copper mini crimps, which wil probably do the same job.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200Pcs-Cop...AAAOSwn-tZGW0c
Along with the glue-lined heatshrink .. mine came from Kay's fasteners .. ebay.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 10:50 AM   #5
Dennis menace

Copper crimps are good - didn't know they existed.
Blacksheep could do with an AGM battery to avoid battery acid spills in future. They ruined my Monster and after powder coating the frame I didn't want a repeat performance.
Saw a good deal on EBay:

Old 19-05-2017, 10:51 AM   #6
Dennis menace

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3520127505...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Tags
m600, pick-up, pick-ups, wiring