UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » m600 mods help

Old 17-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
bigfiretruck

Question m600 mods help

hi i am new to monster but not to biking.......... as my monster arrives monday woooo i was just pondering about a few things

1. is it possible to fit a newer 2002ish speedo and rev clocks to my bike seeing as it only has a speedo and idiot lights?

2. removing the 33bhp restrictor that the previous owner has fitted...... i know that it is connected to the carbs but where on the carbs are the ¨washers¨ located?

3. where is the best places to get one of the under body bits of faring as they look nicer with them on.

thanks
oscar
Old 17-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Nice start out in Monsters but you'll want a bigger one soon!!

In order
1. Nope, new series clocks are all electronic and yours would be mechanical. BUT you could easily replace the lot with one of the very swish and trick electronic consoles. Theres a few strands on your options on this. Someone will show you what is available / what they've done pretty soon I'd think.

2. Pull off the airbox and carbs the little buggers in there somewhere!! Again we got that covered, expect some actually helpful advice soon!

3. They crop up here from time to time and you can get some off of e-bay. It depends what you want really, a full tray or a more open one, fibreglass or carbon. Oh lots don't come with the fitting kit but theres some of them on e-bay too!

Theres also tons of other stuff you can add / do to monsters, watch out it's addictive!
Old 17-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
dunlop0_1

If it is a mechanical restrictor it is screwed on here (circled). It is easily removed from the right side of the bike at the bottom of the carbs.

Old 17-01-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
bigfiretruck

i swear he said that it was 2 washers in the carbs?? not screwed in just resting in them somewhere? or am i going to have to remove the carbs and have a closer look
Old 17-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
dunlop0_1

You need to do a thread search on this subject.
Old 17-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
nik_the_brief

The two washers are located between the airbox and the mouth of the carbs.

It's a bit of a bugger to get to them, you'll have to remove the tank, airbox and possibly the ignition coils too. It was quite some time ago I did it on mine. It took a couple of hours but was more of a fiddly job than a technically complicated one.
Old 17-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
bigfiretruck

ahhh right ok im going to spend monday night taking the restrictors out wooo....... i know that the clocks on the 2001/2 models are electric and operated by servos this is ok but is it possible to fit them to the 95 bike? or would it require a complete wiring loop for them?
Old 17-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #8
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
The speed sensor would probably fit, it's a hall sensor and just registers when the disc retaining bolt heads go by.
So a sensor on the rear swinging arm gives you the speedo, you should be able to retro fit that.
The rev counter feeds from a data line from the ECU, I don't think there's a data line out of the pre injection Monsters.
So you'd need a pickup on the ignition side, either counting the pulses on the 12V side or pulses in the HT coil.

Both of these are the kind of things you get in the add on electronic speedo/rev counter combos. which is probably the way to go.
Old 18-01-2009, 12:17 AM   #9
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Keep an eye out on ebay for a tacho kit for an early monster, a new dash with tacho and a hole for your existing speedo, they come up from time to time, usually in carbon. Probably far easier than converting late model clocks.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #10
bigfiretruck

ok i collected the bike today and its awwwsum better than my dreams it seems to have a throttle restriction which kinda sucks because i get to about *cough* 80 *cough* and the power just seems to run dry acceleration is still fast because i am able to use 1/2 throttle ish. where do throttle cables join the carbs? and would the restrictor be easy to remove
Old 19-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #11
nik_the_brief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfiretruck View Post
ok i collected the bike today and its awwwsum better than my dreams it seems to have a throttle restriction which kinda sucks because i get to about *cough* 80 *cough* and the power just seems to run dry acceleration is still fast because i am able to use 1/2 throttle ish. where do throttle cables join the carbs? and would the restrictor be easy to remove
I'd not be so sure, when my old 600 was restricted with washers it was the same. Great acceleration up to about 85 or so and then it just ran out of wind.

Have a look in the mouth of the carbs before you start nosing around with the throttle. Washers are the usual restriction on the old carbed 600s.
Old 19-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #12
bigfiretruck

right ok ive had the airbox lid off as i cannot get any further in the time i had. there dont seem to be any washers or alike covering the tops of the carbs as i can see the flaps moving. theres 2 sets a black set that move in and out and the brass coloured ones that twist. are the lower set meant to open fully? or just 1/2 as mine only open 1/2 ish sort of 45% from closed to full throttle.

also is there an easy way of getting the airbox off?
Old 19-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #13
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfiretruck View Post
...also is there an easy way of getting the airbox off?
No - it's a PITA & about as easy as nailing jelly to the ceiling

Invest in a Haynes manual it makes most jobs a lot easier
Old 19-01-2009, 11:38 PM   #14
bigfiretruck

ok it was a throttle restrictor on the bike only allowing 30-40% ish throttle which kinda sucks but i have moved that out of the way and i will test the bike in the morning hopefully it will still run well :P

Tags
clocks, m600, mods, monster, restrictor