UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Tyre replacement time…

Old 07-04-2024, 11:06 AM   #1
crawsue
Bronze Member

Bike: M1100evo
Tyre replacement time…

Looking for some comments on tyre choices for the Evo, last 2 changes have been Pirelli Stradas which have given decent mileages and grip. But I fancy a change and am looking at Metzler Roadtec Z6, Diablo Rosso 11 or Michelin Pilot Power. I try to avoid riding in the rain, but it is West of Scotland so you can get the odd shower….but longevity and grip are prerequisites. There are some decent “pairs” deals out there at the minute. Any info gratefully etc etc….
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 11:54 AM   #2
Leamreject

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Just had Corsa Rosso lll’s fitted and very happy with the performance. The Bridgestone BT023’s that came off worked very well but only once they were warm.

Tyres do get in your head so buy, the best you can for your budget
Old 07-04-2024, 06:01 PM   #3
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Picked up my 2020 bike about a year and a half ago with Rosso 111 @ 4000 miles.
Struggled for grip and constantly caught out the traction control with lots of spins.
They had to be cut off as they wouldn't roll off!!
New BT023 GT were a revelation with tons of grip even in the wet and slush. Known for warming up quickly as they are all weather tyres. They've been superb through 2 winters.
7000 miles in, they are holding their profile well and still grippy with virtually no chicken strips left now. Very nice turn in and steering still.
Dacs and DaveR are both running BT023 and seem very happy with them.
I've got a new pair to go on the Monster when the wheels have been re-lacquered.

The BT023 are okay on a Monster. The GT version is for heavy bikes (stiffer).

Metzler Roadtec 01 were very good when new, wet or dry, but have gone off disappointingly quickly after about 6000 miles and are going in the bin as the steering and turn in is awful now.
Pirelli Angels never felt as nice as the Stradas that preceded them and didn't return the mileages before the handling dropped off badly. Strada is an old fashioned single compound tyre now. Original fitment on Monsters at one time I think?

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 07-04-2024 at 06:06 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 06:41 PM   #4
Ron1000

Diablo rosso 4’s on my evo, excellent tyre but need a wee bit warm up.

Also have the 4 corsa on my street triple, unbelievably good tyre but needs warm up time and almost like an extra warm up time to ‘activate’.

Never had either one of them let go on me or do anything weird. And I’ve used both of them in all weathers including sub 5° and torrential rain.

Other options are angel ST’s, Michelin road 6’s and power 5/6. All tyres iv’e used and never had any complaints or issues.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 07:09 PM   #5
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Never got on with Michelin Pilot Powers on a Monster but the Pilot Roads have been fantastic for both wet grip and mileage, Mr Gazza's BT23 recommendation sounds good to me as well if there are any reasonable deals out there ...
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 12:36 PM   #6
jerry
Old Git

I keep buying BT 016 for my M750 and 750ss they are so sticky and accurate now on 3rd set love them totally wonderful

Got Michelin PR3 on S4 they are good

Got Dunlop Roadsmarts 2 on Z900 , not very good , bike slides too easy , will replace with either pirelli , michelin or Bridgstones in Thailand ????
Old 08-04-2024, 05:06 PM   #7
crawsue
Bronze Member

Thanks for the detailed responses, I’ll widen my search and include the BT 23s…..I always used Bridgestones on my numerous Sprint STs but I moved to PR 3 then 4 …but new Pilot Roads now are pretty expensive, therefore the search.
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 04:13 PM   #8
Stinger101

Bike: M1200s
Gazza, you shouldn't really be using the GT versions on a small, light bike. The GT versions are reprofiled and built differently than the standard versions to offset the very heavy weight bikes particular handling and wear rates. If you like them, then that's fine, but not a recommendation from any of the manufacturers. BT023 are an excellent tyre.
Stinger101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 04:20 PM   #9
Stinger101

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawsue View Post
Looking for some comments on tyre choices for the Evo, last 2 changes have been Pirelli Stradas which have given decent mileages and grip. But I fancy a change and am looking at Metzler Roadtec Z6, Diablo Rosso 11 or Michelin Pilot Power. I try to avoid riding in the rain, but it is West of Scotland so you can get the odd shower….but longevity and grip are prerequisites. There are some decent “pairs” deals out there at the minute. Any info gratefully etc etc….
In their day the Diablo Z6's were excellent. Now they are a 3rd generation product from Pirelli and as such, are now made with cheaper ingredients. They won't be the same Z6's from a few years ago, despite looking the same and called the same.
Go for the Z8 or even better, the Roadtec 01 or even the brand new Roadtec 02. Fabulous tyres and current top spec items. Some of the 3 to 4 year old models from all of the premium manufacturers are far better than any of us on the road. They are still made with their original materials and offer fab bargains in most places.
Feel free to message me as I have 38 years in the tyre industry and I'm a total tyre nerd but I love them!
Old 09-04-2024, 05:40 PM   #10
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger101 View Post
Gazza, you shouldn't really be using the GT versions on a small, light bike. The GT versions are reprofiled and built differently than the standard versions to offset the very heavy weight bikes particular handling and wear rates. If you like them, then that's fine, but not a recommendation from any of the manufacturers. BT023 are an excellent tyre.
I much appreciate your advice Mark. Thank you.
The GT's are on the Zero which is a bit of a porker @502lbs (228kg.)
My Monster is like a bicycle in comparison and the new standard BT023's are destined for that.
I was so impressed with the BT023's that I put on the 750SS that DaveR bought. So I put BT023GT on the Zero and 023's for the Monster. So surefooted and confidence inspiring.

Tyre nerdy story here; The Rosso 111 set that we cut off the Zero were so hard!
I was told that they most likely came from Pirelli's factory in South America, Brazil I think? Or possibly Mexico?
The theory is that they use a hot climate compound for that latitude otherwise they would melt in normal use. Stands to reason that Zero would source their tyres closer rather than from Europe, being based in California.
Hot climate compound (If there is such a thing?) didn't stand a chance of warming up in the British winter.
What do you reckon Mark? True or false?
Old 09-04-2024, 06:00 PM   #11
Stinger101

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I much appreciate your advice Mark. Thank you.
The GT's are on the Zero which is a bit of a porker @502lbs (228kg.)
My Monster is like a bicycle in comparison and the new standard BT023's are destined for that.
I was so impressed with the BT023's that I put on the 750SS that DaveR bought. So I put BT023GT on the Zero and 023's for the Monster. So surefooted and confidence inspiring.

Tyre nerdy story here; The Rosso 111 set that we cut off the Zero were so hard!
I was told that they most likely came from Pirelli's factory in South America, Brazil I think? Or possibly Mexico?
The theory is that they use a hot climate compound for that latitude otherwise they would melt in normal use. Stands to reason that Zero would source their tyres closer rather than from Europe, being based in California.
Hot climate compound (If there is such a thing?) didn't stand a chance of warming up in the British winter.
What do you reckon Mark? True or false?
Tyres sold in Europe need to be 'e' marked. Northern European tyres are also designed and altered for our climate.
Where a tyre is made is always printed on the sidewall somewhere. Always available to discuss tyres. Uts almost my fave hobby.
Of note, Japanese O.E tyres sold on European bikes are notoriously poor because though they are destined for Europe, the Japanese want stability and longevity over handling and 'feel'.

Happy that the GT's are on the Zero.
Old 09-04-2024, 06:21 PM   #12
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I'm happy too. I had a fabulous hoon down to Thorpeness on Sunday on warm dry roads for a change.

Thanks for yet more tyre info Mark.
The original Rosso 111's are long gone of course, but I'll have a look at the tyres on some new Zeros next time I'm in the shop and see if I can find a country of origin. They should be European spec though!!
Old 09-04-2024, 06:33 PM   #13
Stinger101

A good mate of mine sells Zero's for Fowlers in Bristol. He confirms they come with American spec tyres and they're rock hard and ****e. Pirelli Rosso 2's he tht at the time. Also knows of another case of having to use a cutting wheel to remove one. 🙃
Old 09-04-2024, 07:39 PM   #14
Kato
Dismantled

I use Michelin Power Cup 2's but can get through a rear 1200 miles and a bit like riding on ice in the wet so not much of a recommendation

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 07:45 PM   #15
motomartin11

Bike: M750
I put a pair of BT 023s on my M750 over the winter. The bike is now taxed but I've only done 20 miles scrubbing them in as the weather's so poor this Spring. My bike handled well enough in the dry on the old / worn mixed pair (Dunlop / Michelin I think IIRC - not sure now which types) that were on before so I look forward to a perceptible improvement once they're bedded in.
motomartin11 is offline   Reply With Quote