UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » S4 update from Thailand

Old 22-01-2019, 08:38 AM   #1
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
S4 update from Thailand

I have been busy took the S4 to Cambodia for a 4 day ride last week ,, crossed into Cambodia at Pailin and travelled via battambang to Siem Riep which actually means ''Thai Loose'' they fough abttle there in 16th century between Kymer empire and Old Siam ,, the Kymers won

Siem Riep is cemtre for all the famouse Angkor Wat lost temples and ancient cities ,, its a nice place

No insurance required and none available ,, ha ha ,,
Cambodian drive on French side of road unlike Thailand but the traffic is much slower and more polite partially due to the less developed road system,, I was v]able to cruise at 50-60mph although max speed is officially 50mph on the best dual carriage way roads ,, in town the Kymers drive slowly again unlike thais so although its chaotic its much safer as its all in slkow motion ,, good fuel available including 95 Benzine at 60p a litre no ethanol in ha ha

back in Thailand I have put .85nm Ohlins spings in the forks instead of the .75nm Ohlins , the old light weight springs worked well but as i was using a lot of preload rings and 9/16 compression 6/18 rebound and 125mm air gap I thought the heavier springs might work better as i was occaisionally getting bottoming on really bumpy bad roads

with -85nm springs handling seems just as good but now there is no bottoming even on worst road with only 1 ring of preload used , 3/16 compression 1/18 rebound 25mm sag and 132mm air gap which is standard for the 996 forks I am using with kTECK Valving oil is 7.5w Motul race series

bike actually seems a bit plusher too and working stroke is probably 10mm longer , No changes to the Ohlins Rear shock but I am wondering if its due for a service to change oil and Regas its a PRCS46 and its now been on the bike for a few years ???

will monitor and test on a range of roads and up to 130mph to see if any adjustments needed .

still tweaking my PC3 maps ,, bike is running very sweet at all revs up to 130mph but im only getting 41mpg even ridden gently ,, have 42 teeth sprocket which does not help with economy and restricts top speed to 130mph but more acceleration and nicer low speed running in town ,
gonna shave a few pccent of my current map and see how the bike runs across the rev range and if it will run a tad leaner between 3-7k might get a few mor mpg

originally the bike had a 39 sprocket and would hit 150mph and still get up to 48mpg on a cruise but ran crap at low speed ...

now doing a oil and filter change on the little Benelli TNT 300 sweet bike ,,

back in UK late FEB then time to get on rebuilding the M750

S4 is now 18 years old but still outperforms newer bikes ,,I love it ,, do want a 2nd bike here ,in thailand , thinking of a new Enfield 650 interceptor , Benelli 752s or a Bonny 1200 ??? next year when i have some spare dosh , my wife wants a Honda 500 rebel as its yje only bike she can ride confidently being onl 4'10'' and she loved her old 250 rebel but it only had 18bhp and could just hit 70mph the 500 has 39 and can hit 100mph

Last edited by jerry; 22-01-2019 at 08:58 AM..
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 10:00 AM   #2
Darkness

Bike: M900
Hi Jerry. I’m envious of the weather there, and the monuments.
It’s not quite 32 degrees in Brighton at the moment: you’ll feel the difference when you come back!
Old 22-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #3
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
It’s not quite 32 degrees in Brighton at the moment
Probably is, in Fahrenheit...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 06:51 PM   #4
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Problem tonight went for a late night thrash for about 30 miles got home at 1am but 1 mile from home oil pressure light came on the oil pressure switch has come loose yet again and thats with a new helicoil in the case and another new switch and loctite ,, oil all over the back wheel ,,

now i dont trust the damn thing its the switches themselves they just dont have a long enough thread

also need more light have a Phillips extreme bulb and upgraded Lens but 60w is not enough ned 80 or 100w extreme bulb and upgrade wires and a relay methinks

Last edited by jerry; 22-01-2019 at 06:53 PM..
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 08:43 PM   #5
rac3r

You can't tell an adventure story without pictures!