UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Are they having a laugh!

Old 25-09-2004, 01:03 PM   #16
SAMMYE

Ive heard people say bad things about daytona but so far my dealings in respect of parts has been very good!? why do some people not rate them??
Old 25-09-2004, 03:56 PM   #17
queen_gpants

I've had a couple of bad experiences with Daytona's on the parts side, stuff for my 888 taking ages to arrive, then not ringing me when stuff had arrived etc.

This is the first time I've used them for servicing, they've got a lovely girl called Emma working on the service desk, she was really helpful, called me when they were done to let me know that the service wasn't as expensive as quoted.

The next serivce isn't due for 12 months and my warranty will have expired by then so I will be going back to my guy in Harrow but that's because he's cheaper and I know he does an excellent job.
Old 25-09-2004, 05:32 PM   #18
Richard_S

that emma girl is as helpful as being smacked in the knackers with a sledge hammer the night your due to marry italian twin sisters.
Old 26-09-2004, 09:02 AM   #19
spacemonkey
I see dead people.

Location: Carving a slice thru the braindead masses..(pun intended)
Bike: M900
True, but she is honestly trying to help. I spent a coupla hours with her on her first day, and she showed something very rare at Daytonas-customer service! She's new, and might not know a huge amount about bikes yet, but she's trying.

The trouble with Daytona seemd to revolve around shoddy mechanics. Whether they have been given the shove, or merely improved I don't know, but my last experience was good, unlike previous engagements. The parts guys at Ruislip are ace however, and have been really good. Dunno about Angel, which although is my local, I go to the other side of london to Ruislip.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:23 AM   #20
Boon

Has any one got the phone number of Daytonas- customer services and address ? or even a www address Thanx
Old 06-02-2005, 09:38 AM   #21
Richard_S

http://www.daytonamc.co.uk/
Old 06-02-2005, 12:35 PM   #22
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey
And I believe that a coupla years ago it was possible to get a wee grant. Supposedly everyone was entitiled to something like £150 towards adult ed I believe. Dunno where to check this out though..
I did the same course at Carnaby (near Bridlington in East Yorks) quite a long time ago and was told that I was ineligible for a grant since I took A-levels at school and C&G is not considered a step further... B*stards.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:36 PM   #23
Duncan

Apart from the 1st service, my 1999 M900 has never been in a dealers workshop.

I have kept it serviced myself up to where it stands now with 45,000 miles on the clock.

In that time its been serviced by me and has been remarkably trouble free.

A few things to know.
1. Dont skimp on oil or filters, they are cheap compared to labour and repairs. I use quality synthetic oil. I base the viscosity selection on time of year and the chart in the manual supplied with the bike. It doesnt burn oil with 45,000 on the clock.
2. I try to ride the bike at least once a week. This keeps the oil around the moving parts and prevents damage on start up. It also keeps the battery in good shape. The battery is the original.
3. I keep the bike garaged and try and keep salt off it in winter. When cleaning I keep a preventative eye on maintenance issues.
4. I do the cam belts every 12,000 miles
5. The valve clearances were originally checked every 6000 miles when I serviced it. I record the figures and can keep an eye on drift across the setting range. With good oil, things dont wear and I have only had to change 1 shim at 36,000 miles.
6. I keep a general eye on filters and fluids and change them as it becomes necessary.

A major service costs me about £80 to do. A minor one about £40. So my total serving costs based on 3 major and 4 minor services has been £400. Based on dealers charging £180 for minor and £350 for the major the costs would have been £1770. I dont have any plans to sell my bike so a Full service history is of no concern and with those kind of miles is irrelevant anyway as the resale would be very low.

Things to go wrong
Rear light bulbs - They are a joke and I now have an LED cats eye tail light. All other bulbs still working and no other electrical problems.
Still on original battery.
Rear wheel bearing seized at 34000 miles.
Chain snapped at 24,000 miles although it had been replaced not long before. Generally a good chain will last 12,000 miles if Scottoiled
Rear shock bushes worn out at 38000 miles
Brake pads last forever cos I dont do towns, dont brake too often and prefer to read the road ahead. Front pads 36000 miles and rear 18000!!
Engine apart from service items just the 1 shim and STILL ON THE ORIGINAL CLUTCH (did I say I dont do towns)
Have replaced 2 speedo cables. First one seized at the bottom with moisture getting in and second one just snapped.
Clutch - Have had a seal go in the slave cylinder but thats not unusual for one of these.
Tyres - they wear out

Good new is the bike is still a great machine. The head bearings (originals) are just about due replacement and the back shock which I rebushed needs repressurising. Have had loads of bikes in the last 25 years and this is by far the best and most reliable. With no prospect of a wad of spare money and some heavy outgoings in the form of kids and a wife its gotta keep going.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:49 PM   #24
jonnie comet

Nice one Duncan....that's one in the eye for everyone who has told me not to buy a Ducati.......unreliable.....fall apart....blah,blah,blah..... Anyone out there with a similar high mileage/ owner maintained story to tell ?

Cheers
Old 24-08-2008, 10:37 PM   #25
wooley_t

Try JHP coventry or SPR Racing..........there in the midlands but damn there good....
Old 24-08-2008, 10:58 PM   #26
wooley_t

Hey Dunc,

Thats a good pitch youve put. Got my monster which im keeping for a long time....good to hear your history and mileage/servicing on your monster.

Ive had issues already with my chain/sprockets and ive only done 4k miles....scott oiler is on the agenda....sprockets and chain yet to be decided, if you have a recommendation, please let me know.

Rear bulb........effin pain in the arse....led conversion is on its way.

Same same on the oil and filters...........shouldnt be an issue......if your bored an have nothing to do....change your oil and filter........

Clutch and brakes, bleed them if you fall out with the mrs and your summoned to the garage.....nothing wrong with nice clean un-inhabited/water contaminated fluid.......

Like your style dunc and your advice...

Will.