UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Help please - bike wont start

Old 02-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
dam

Help please - bike wont start

Aaarrrrgh. First problem I have had with my bike and its really annoying (I have to get the BUS to work )

I turn the key - the fuel pump whirs into life - the clocks light up and the dials go up and down, then the oil light stays on and there is no neutral light. I have checked the oil pressure switch (even replaced it with one from the Vauxhall dealers, it was cleaned the day before, but that was on Sunday and its defo dry (not that I wash it with lots of water or a power wash).

Any suggestions ? please! I'm on holiday next week and was planning away days.

PS tried Ducati Glasgow and they are so busy they cant look at it for a week and a half.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
Dookbob

Are you sure its not in gear, or in a false neutral, this is not as daft as it sounds.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
dam

Dont think it is, but why the oil light?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
The oil light is a pressure switch not a level sensor, it won't go out untill the engine spins up enough to generate some pressure. So as an extreme example, start the engine with no oil and the light stays on, no oil pressure.
Jap bikes either have a level sensor, FZRs up to 90 something so it would sometimes flash or stay on when you hit the throttle hard. Pressure sensors are probably better as having oil in the sump doesn't mean that its being pumped round the engine which can be slightly destructive!!
Old 02-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
Arbeia

Try see if you have knocked the kill switch ,i kinow it sounds daft but that happend to me with my old s2r and i was think f%$k what have i done it wont start and i was just about to ring the AA when i just happend to check the kill switch and it was that,i felt such a berk!
Old 02-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #6
Dookbob

Like Nickj says , the oil light wont go out till the engine starts.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

So you have to be figuring that it's either a fault in the clocks or the loom somewhere.
Probably worth tracing the wiring from the pressure switch up to the clocks and test to see that each wire is intact which should be pretty easy with a cheap multimeter. Then you'll need to check the oil is pumping round, best would be a pressure gauge so you can see a number but you could just measure the resistance at the pressure switch, it'll change as the pressure rises. Just cranking on the starter will do the trick.
If these check out OK then it might be the clocks themselves
Old 02-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #8
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
1. Check its definately not in gear (go through the whole gearbox if necessary)
This sounds most likely the prob, as has been said above.
2. Check all block connectors to ensure they are dry & have no corrosion.
3. Have you tried bump starting it?
4. Have you tried putting a power straight to the starter motor?
To do this: Pull the boot off the wire that goes to the starter motor & with a set of jump leads or a jump pack clip the earth lead anywhere onto the engine & flash the positive lead to the starter motor to see if it fires (tho you MUST check its in neutral first & that the ignition is on) If this works, then there isnt a problem in the ignition circuit - you'll have to look elsewhere.
To be safe, get someone to hold the clutch in while you flash the starter

Let us know what you find
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #9
yantheman
Bronze Member

Bike: M620sie
Hi, the bike won't start if the sidestand down and in gear. There is a small switch under the clutch lever, if the bike is in gear, you need to pull in the clutch lever in order to start the bike.
yantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #10
Dave G
Imagineer

I used to have a similar problem with my old 916, the neutral light was never especially accurate and sometimes would be on when it was in gear and other times it would be unlit even when the I could freely wheel it about. If the ignition on your bike is similar to this it may just be a case of lightly snicking the gear lever around neutral until the light comes on, its infuriating sometimes but I got used to it.
Does your clutch drag perchance?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #11
crust
rattles when he walks

Bike: M900
Round the back of the engine, behind the clutch side you'll see a single wire going into the back of the cases.

Wiggle it and see if the neutral light comes on.

If it does, pull the wire gently out and give the connector a squirt wth WD40 and a LITTLE squeeze with some pliers, then plug it back in

crust
crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #12
dam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbeia View Post
Try see if you have knocked the kill switch ,i kinow it sounds daft but that happend to me with my old s2r and i was think f%$k what have i done it wont start and i was just about to ring the AA when i just happend to check the kill switch and it was that,i felt such a berk!
No, defo not the kill switch (I have done that before!)
Old 02-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #13
dam

Thanks all I'll have a look again tomorrow at it after work (and the bus journey, bloody first time I have been on a bus in Glasgow in 12 years )

Will let you know

dam
Old 05-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #14
dam

Its alive!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crust View Post
Round the back of the engine, behind the clutch side you'll see a single wire going into the back of the cases.

Wiggle it and see if the neutral light comes on.

If it does, pull the wire gently out and give the connector a squirt wth WD40 and a LITTLE squeeze with some pliers, then plug it back in

crust
By George you were right! what is it? Knew it was something stupid

When you say pull the wire out, do you mean with the white plastic bit as well?

Anyway, thanks all

dam
Old 05-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #15
crust
rattles when he walks

Bike: M900
Thats the neutral light wire, the bit it plugs into behind the engine is the neutral light switch.

The white plastic bit is the plug on the end of the wire, it should come out with the wire.

Unplug it if possible.

crust
crust is offline   Reply With Quote