UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Monster FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

Old 11-08-2004, 11:48 PM   #1
Bob Dixon

melting Carbon Cans

I might be responding in the wrong part of the forum here.....I noticed in the FAQs some stuff about carbon cans melting and cracking. I`m involved in the manufacture of carbon components and can give a reasonably well informed answer to these queries.
1] Melting Cans; carbon will only melt if the temperature of the component in usage significantly rises above the temperature it was cured at during production. A melted carbon can idicates a manufacturer who failed to appreciate the likely operating temperatures and cured the component at too low a temperature

2] Cracking; Carbon, unlike alloy or steel has no 'memory', therefore it can`t fatigue. In use it is possible that a component may be taken to a level where it can exceed the design parameters of the design and it only needs to exceed this once to create a catastrophic failure. If a can has cracked due to vibration it must [at some point] have exceeded the strength of the component. If it's made well enough and remains inside its predicted operating parameter it will last indefinitely.

Carbon is Good Stuff ! but it needs to be used appropriately, many motorcycle accessory manufacturers haven`t got a clue how to use it properly and the customers know even less. OE Ducati carbon is generally quite good, not perfect mind you, but pretty good.
Bob
Old 24-08-2005, 07:19 PM   #2
Vincent Jones

FAQ Above

Just my opinion, but the Tail-chop link given as part of the FAQ above is not as good as JMO's because the frame in your link is cut too short (in my opinion) and new number plate mount need not be constructed from scratch when the original one will do.