UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » 916 pain in the backside to start

Old 31-10-2006, 07:15 PM   #1
916 Senna

916 pain in the backside to start

Hi, I have now owned my '02 916 monster for 5mths and whilst I adore the bike it is so tempremental to start, it can just happen for no reason, ie stopping at a petrol station, when it has been fine previously. I have put new plugs in, charged battery, cleaned/sprayed with WD40 all contacts & still it can play up. Has anyone any ideas or is this just the joys of owning an italian bike?

Cheers Mark

Ps anyone chopped the back of one them down, to shorten the back behind the pillion?
Old 31-10-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
crust
rattles when he walks

Bike: M900
Not a normal thing

When you say wont start, does it turn over? or nothing happen when you press the button?

Give us a bit more to work on

Crust
crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 07:40 PM   #3
Shauns4

[QUOTE=916 Senna] Has anyone any ideas or is this just the joys of owning an italian bike?

Had my S4 for almost 3 yrs now and its never let me down, so not the norm.

Shaun
Old 31-10-2006, 07:45 PM   #4
916 Senna

Turns over but just wont fire, doesnt sound like battery. Sounds like it wants to go but just wont fire up at all, just really struggles, then if u keep trying eventually it just starts up as normal. It is really bizzare because it can be sat in the garage all dry & it struggles to start, then it can be left at work in the rain at work & it starts 1st time, then other times can be left for a wk or so without running & it starts 1st time but then if I have had it out 1 day the next just really struggles to ignite a spark. I did think it was plugs, hence new ones but not helped. Just seems really tempremental. Only done 5k, FSH on it. Wondered if it was something I was doing when I went to start it?
Mark
Old 31-10-2006, 08:13 PM   #5
DesmoDom

Well you've checked everything else, so try checking thst the fuel lines haven't
been trapped under the tank, as is a very common prob. Also worth checking the tank breather isn't blocked.

Baz
Old 31-10-2006, 08:22 PM   #6
gjfevans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 916 Senna

Cheers Mark

Ps anyone chopped the back of one them down, to shorten the back behind the pillion?
Grainy pic of my chopped S4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chopped S4.jpg (23.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 31-10-2006, 08:30 PM   #7
crust
rattles when he walks

Bike: M900
what colour are the plugs?

Have you done anything to the airbox/air filter?

is it modded in any way?

when was the fuel filter last changed?

Dont mean to sound like 20 questions but it helps to narrow it down.

I start my 996 by pushing the button, no throttle and it fires up and idles easily.

Monster requires a few twists of the throttle but thats FCRs and accelerator pumps for you.

Crust

might be worth ringing the guys at Ducati Glasgow and asking them how much to stick it on the mathesis tester for a diagnostic check cos if a sensors down you'll never find it.

Last edited by crust; 31-10-2006 at 08:33 PM..
crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:28 AM   #8
916 Senna

Hey Crust again, new plugs just been put in so they are brand new.....as for mods, open airbox with K&N, termi pipes, ecu re-mapped, smaller front sprocket.....I wondered if somehow s**t had got in thro the airbox! I will check the fuel pipes out & filter, if not I feel it is off to the garage for it......yest morn wudnt start at all (had to take father in-laws HD sportster, what an experience, & p**s ripped out of me), however, last nite cleaned everything up, fully charged batt, started 1st time, this morning, nothing, tried on & off for 5 mins & then bingo it started a didnt miss a tick all the way to work......just hope the thing starts tonight when I leave work!
Mark
Old 01-11-2006, 12:57 PM   #9
Rogerg

My S4 was a pig to start it turned out to be the battery. They require quite alot of power to turn those big pistons over and still leave enough current to product a spark - have you got an alarm.

heres some pics of my chopped a r s e - Jmo special. I heard a rumour that kits are available at a very reasonable price from somewhere...

Old 01-11-2006, 01:16 PM   #10
916 Senna

Looks sweet as a nut, v.tempted just to do it, the back end looks so much better.......watch 4 pics of the disaster when I start it!!!!!
Right a new battery it is then, gotta be worth a shot
Cheers Mark
Old 01-11-2006, 03:01 PM   #11
Tigerlily

Welcome to the club!

I'll move this over to the "Technical" section for you