UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Hello from thailand

Old 23-09-2006, 03:52 PM   #1
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Hello from thailand

Hello guys

This is not really a Ducati issue, but yesterday on Thai TV news business section it was announced in a Press conference that Harley Davidson are to build a factory in Thailand to manufacture and assemble HDs by 2008.Taking effect of the ASEAN trade bloc tariff advantages and the known skills of Thai motorcycle workers and parts suppliers.

Triumph already have 2 factories here 1 making parts and the othe building the Bonneville and all parrallel twin models.
BMW assemble large motorcycle's here for the asian market and Honda , Yamaha , Kawasaki and Susuki make millions of sub 200cc bikes here

yesterday i actually managed to ride my S4 for the first time in 5 weeks after my health problems it was great , went for a 100 mile ride to get a speedo cable, got a yamaha one as it was 100mm longer than standard Duke cable and less likely to break again as it has a nicer looping curve. last 20 miles home was in a monsson thunderstorm which was fun.

jerry
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2006, 08:40 PM   #2
emily's driver
Full Metal Tea Bag

Bike: S4Rs
I heard from an associate today that Ducati are looking into setting up part of their assembly plant in Brazil to reduce overheads and have recently laid off over 100 staff. Dilution of standards is seemingly where it is headed. As it stands they suncontract out about 55% of their production to subcontractors. The engines and frames being about the only thing they produce in house. Though recent threads suggest that they are throwing together engines at an alarming pace to meet quotas. Who knows. Build quality has improved since the TPG take over when Ducati were on a knife edge financially, so let's hope this recent reshuffle does not make things worse. Italian industry has a habit of tying itself in knots occassionally.
Old 24-09-2006, 06:03 AM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by emily's driver
...they are throwing together engines at an alarming pace...
Let's hope that one day they learn to get the paint to stick to the outside!
slob is offline   Reply With Quote