UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New rider - new monster!

Old 17-08-2006, 03:02 PM   #1
pickle

Talking New rider - new monster!

Hi guys!!

Just at the stage of taking direct access (passed theory). I'm 30 and live in Ripon, North Yorks - Yorkshire lass!. I have fallen for the Monster but really stuck between the 695 or the S2R 800 - can anyone help?
Old 17-08-2006, 03:21 PM   #2
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
Both great first bikes! Probably not much between them now in power and handling.
Which do you prefer the look of ?
Old 17-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
andros

Bike: S2r
Hi and welcome pickle. Another Yorkshire member too!

I would say both would be a good choice, I have an S2r 800 and really like it. Some people are not so keen on the brakes because they are a bit basic, but I have not had a problem and I often ride two up. I also really like the look of S2r over 695 but that is obviously personal choice.
andros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
Gilps

I think they both have the same brakes. They're not bad but not wonderful but as a relatively new rider they will be just fine. They just show up a bit on hard riding and braking. They both have the same great clutch. I really just comes down to looks I think. I reckon the S2r looks more up-to-date.
Old 17-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #5
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Bike: M900
Cool

Welcome to the club!

I am about 6 miles away from you!

Yorkie.
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
farl

Bike: M1100s
I trained at Ripon before they closed it down Very fund memories of the Billy, the Mucky Duck and the One Eyed Rat.

Now back to bikes, the 695 is the newest engine design that's going to be rolled out across the others as the engines are upgraded (I believe). It means that it's cheaper to service in terms of time and how often it needs servicing too. And the insurance will be cheaper. I went from 620sie to a S4R now I've got a S4Rs, but the 695 has more power than the original 900 I think.

Who's your dealer?
farl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 03:59 PM   #7
nephilim

bonjour! well i've been told that the north is a cold place, never been as i don't have a passport!!!! invest in thermal undies!! ummmmm.... thermals!
Old 17-08-2006, 04:15 PM   #8
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Hi Pickle

I recognise you from the BG site.
welcome to

I am sure you will enjoy whichever Monster you choose
Old 17-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #9
mintydrummerman

Hi

I would definitly go for the S2R, nothing against the 695, its just so much better looking! I had a go on one for a few hours when my dad was getting his bike serviced and im not over exaggerating here, but absolutely everyone and their dog was looking at me and the gorgeous bike i was sitting on. Red with the White stripe and you cant go wrong. (but thats just my opinion!)
Old 17-08-2006, 04:46 PM   #10
benson

Hello and welcome to the club!

Good luck with the direct access!

If insurance is an issue and it might be with a first bike then the 695 will be cheaper - but in terms of what they will or won't do then either as a first bike should see you right. Personal choice on looks really - and remember that you can always upgrade performance over time with either..
Old 17-08-2006, 04:51 PM   #11
Headhunter
THFC

Bike: M620ie
Just as the name suggests!

Welcome to the club - great bunch of peeps on here.

Buy both, go awn.

Sir Winston Churchill
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #12
benson

Well done that man - bloomin good suggestion!!!!

Old 17-08-2006, 04:59 PM   #13
Headhunter
THFC

Bike: M620ie
Have to admit if I had my way and a bigger bank balance, I'd have a 620, S2, S4Rs and maybe a 999 or the 916.

But then that's just me being

If I were pushed, i'd go for the 695 as like the 620 it would be a great entry bike and then go from there.

Benson, hope to meet you at one of the Ace nights - has been a while!

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by Headhunter; 17-08-2006 at 05:15 PM..
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 09:22 PM   #14
rockjock620

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle
Hi guys!!

Just at the stage of taking direct access (passed theory). I'm 30 and live in Ripon, North Yorks - Yorkshire lass!. I have fallen for the Monster but really stuck between the 695 or the S2R 800 - can anyone help?

when you get your ticket, give me a shout, I'm in Harrogate, there are quite a few of us around this neck of the woods, riding regularly. I don't get here that often but run an M900 (95) and 996. find me more on www.ducati-upnorth.com anytime. cheers
Old 17-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #15
Shandy

Hello and welcome to the club.

With the bike choice they are both great bikes, as others have said it comes down to 2 things really,

1 - which one you think looks the best, the classic older look 695 or the more modern single sidded swing arm both cans on the same side S2R
2 - what you can afford to buy/insure/run etc (this one will probably make the choice on number 1 for you)

As an entry bike the 695 should more than suit, i started with an M600 3 years ago and still love it. When you want something quicker just buy another Ducati and start a bike collection.

Good luck with the choice,

Shandy