UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Setting the Gear Selector.

Old 15-08-2021, 03:35 PM   #1
PPuxley

Bike: M900
Setting the Gear Selector.

Would anyone like to advise the correct way to set the internal gear selector mechanism ? Or little quirks or tips to get the claws adjusted correctly.

Im have read both the Factory manual method (set at 3rd gear) and the Haynes (set at 2nd gear), which inevitably are different!

Im not getting crisp selection into all the gears consistently using the mechanism

I am happy that the selector drum is moving the forks around correctly inside the gearbox, because all the gears are there and work when the selector drum is rotated by hand to each detent position.

But using the mechanism I am not getting the claws to consistently pull/push the drum to the next detent position.

I have set the geachange arm pin centrally (although I note it wasnt central when dismantled)

and in 3rd gear I have ensured equal travel for the claw ends from the pins.

Im just wondering whether there is a known "best" way to do this that isnt in the manuals?
Old 15-08-2021, 03:59 PM   #2
Dukedesmo

AFAIK the official way is to use a special tool, this fits over the mechanism and has a line on it that you then align with the line on the pawl in 2nd gear.

Failing this set it centrally in second gear* - at least that's what I have done. Though as my engine is currently in the same state as yours I've not been able to test it and I can't get a clean shift into every gear by hand, every time but it mostly works. I think this is normal when the engine is not running and that once the shafts are spinning, everything will be much smoother?

As it happens I carefully marked the position of mine before removal by scribing around the mounting plate and my best guess fit is pretty much bang on the scribed lines so I'm hoping it'll be OK.

Need to get it running to be sure though...

* Consider that 'centrally' is not the (visual) centre of the detent plate curve, rather the centre between the location/actuation points on the drum, FWIW I measured these as being 12mm apart whilst the mechanism has around 17mm of movement.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2021, 04:20 PM   #3
PPuxley

Thanks DD. Sounds pretty much where I am. I was also expecting it to be better when everything is spinning, and with it only being a casing removal to re-adjust, I think I am pretty much there for now, then.
Ive rather taken my off the ball with the starter and need to get it painted up so I can finish the engine build

Last edited by PPuxley; 15-08-2021 at 09:17 PM..
PPuxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 03:18 AM   #4
damien666

Bike: S4Rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
AFAIK the official way is to use a special tool, this fits over the mechanism and has a line on it that you then align with the line on the pawl in 2nd gear.

Failing this set it centrally in second gear* - at least that's what I have done. Though as my engine is currently in the same state as yours I've not been able to test it and I can't get a clean shift into every gear by hand, every time but it mostly works. I think this is normal when the engine is not running and that once the shafts are spinning, everything will be much smoother?

As it happens I carefully marked the position of mine before removal by scribing around the mounting plate and my best guess fit is pretty much bang on the scribed lines so I'm hoping it'll be OK.

Need to get it running to be sure though...

* Consider that 'centrally' is not the (visual) centre of the detent plate curve, rather the centre between the location/actuation points on the drum, FWIW I measured these as being 12mm apart whilst the mechanism has around 17mm of movement.
An example of the tool,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164640271856
damien666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 06:59 AM   #5
PPuxley

Thanks. Although, looking at it I can't immediately see how it is used.
Old 16-08-2021, 07:38 AM   #6
Dukedesmo

Interesting, I assumed it was a Ducati only tool that would not be readily available.

That said, now that I have the side covers on I might as well see if it works when running as, other than draining the oil, the amount of work involved to use the tool would be the same.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 07:51 AM   #7
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
the two holes on the tool fit over the pins on the selector drum and the edge of the tool lines up with a notch on the pawl. this tool has since been superceded by a different one (88713.3334), which i think is much harder to use.

if you’re eyes are good, getting the line on the pawl centred between two pins works fine.
just get a gear lever on the splines and mske sure you can run up and down the gears before putting everything else back in the case.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 02:31 PM   #8
PPuxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
make sure you can run up and down the gears before putting everything else back in the case.
Well, thats what I cant do consistently , yet, so I will have another go at adjusting it.
Ive made myself up a lever, from a spare short lever end.
Old 16-08-2021, 03:44 PM   #9
slob

don't mean to teach granny to suck eggs but you are spinning the gearbox whilst doing it I assume?
Old 16-08-2021, 04:30 PM   #10
PPuxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
don't mean to teach granny to suck eggs but you are spinning the gearbox whilst doing it I assume?
All comments gratefully accepted, but, yes Im turning the sprocket spline.........but maybe it would be better to turn the mainshaft???
Old 16-08-2021, 04:37 PM   #11
slob

I don't think that'll make any difference