UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Welcome to the UKMOC!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #46
MrsJel

Welcome - would be interested in how the pazzo levers do, I'm not keen on the biting point either and having little hands means its a complete pain in the hand.

You didn't get it from coventry did you? There was someone there when I was having first service who got off a gsxr600 and on to a 696 - but just noticed you're from brighton so not may be not then.

Carole
Old 07-08-2008, 07:38 AM   #47
MikeM

Well, I finally got one!!

Well after owning a pair of Oakley Ducati Corsa sunglasses for the last three years I finally got a bike to go with them...an '08 696+ (2nd hand but with only 300 miles on the clock).

I have been away from bikes for almost 25 years, but renewed my aquaintance with two wheels some weeks ago when I took the plunge and bought a 2nd hand 600 Hornet which I loved..bit mad though! Last week I took my young daughter out for her first pillion ride (she loved it) and we ended up in a big bike store in the next town from me. I had wanted to buy a pair of short boots and their website said they had some sale items.
When we arrived I was like a kiddiie in a toyshop....Buels, Harleys and........Ducatis.
After I bought some boots I spied a 696 outside that had a very low seat (I am the owner of a pair of shortish legs), I found a salesman...suprisingly they did not approach me..and asked if I could have a 'sit-on'. I asked him the price and he told me the new price and that they also had a 2nd hand model that was only a month old (guy decided to have a Harley instead). Can I have test ride I asked, and that was it...I was smitten.
SOooooooooooo different to the Honda, thud, thud and you are doing 40. Wierd but wonderful. I had to have this bike, well the 2nd hand one.
So after losing a small fortune on my little Hornet in the p/ex deal (I am an idiot because I should have done a private sale and bought a 696 later) but I REALLY did want THIS bike with it's aftermarket carbon pipes.

Anyway, deal done and I am now the proud owner of a one month old 696 with a VERY noisy pipe set. I will also get the standard pipes when the guy brings them in, together with the exhaust protectors for pillion use.
Talking of pillion use, does anyone with 'Little Monsters' do much of the two up stuff. My wife, not a real motorcyle lover, says that she is NOT looking forward to perching on that tiny bit of real estate behind me. She was ok on the Hornet.

Anyway, like always I've let my fingers run away with me, suffice to say that I am a very happy chap at the moment......I can put my feet on the ground and I could afford it....Just!!!

Mike

Last edited by MikeM; 07-08-2008 at 09:28 AM..
Old 07-08-2008, 08:42 AM   #48
Nonnie
Dipstick!

Bike: M620ie
Welcome Mike. After 4 years with my Little Monster, I m still waiting for the Oakley sunglasses!

http://www.think.norfolk.gov.uk/content.asp?pid=6
Nonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #49
Bueller77

Hello! Thought I'd drop in and say hi. I'm on the cusp (Does anybody still use that word anywmore?) of buying my first Duke (2002 - 620s ie). To cut a long story short I put down a deposit on it after falling in love with it at first site, and then failed to pass my big bike test a couple of weeks ago (damn indicators! - Must remember to turn them off!!) and have a retest hopefully in Sep/Oct/Nov. Will definitely picking your brains over what I should look out for on the bike when I finally see it in the flesh and haggle my deal (yes, yes, I know I shouldn't have put down a deposit before seeing it... But... Well... It was just so pretty! 3000 miles on clock and mint (from pictures)).

At the moment I look like a right loon riding a new Yamaha R125 (new bike been out couple of months), but I thought it would be easy to sell when the time comes to go and pick up the Duke. I'm 30, but I know when I was 17 I would have KILLED for this 125 it looks like a R6.

So anyway that's me. I'm based in North London and looking forward to meeting up with you guys when I join the fold.
Old 20-08-2008, 05:09 PM   #50
spikey_58

Hi.

TODAY I bought a brand new 08 S2R1000. I traded in my 2008 R1 which i had form new only 3 weeks ago!! Nuts I know. But I've had supersports bikes for a good while now - even a fully v-boosted V-Max. But I wanted something different this time around.

Was looking at an S4R but thought as its got the old 998 engine in it, I may as well keep my R1 - I wanted something a little more understanted which wouldnt lose me my licence - something fun but with a lot of grunt. after reading goodness knows how many reviews - it seemed a good choice. I have told them to keep it for 10 days so I can pick it up on the 1st of Sept for the new reg's, and am rather excited about it all. (I was highly enjoying the Desmo in the corner mind you - some lucky person obviously had 40K to spend as it just sold! haha).

I live in Macclesfield/Manchester so hopefully will meet some like minded folk to meet up with soon. :-)

Kind regards

Last edited by spikey_58; 20-08-2008 at 06:00 PM..
Old 20-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #51
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Great choice of bike and yes you're nuts, chopping in the R1 after just 3 weeks, crazy, but we're glad you've made the switch, you'll love it I'm sure.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #52
spikey_58

Well, I picked my new S2R up on the 1st (it started chucking it down on the way home too - I was heartbroken my brand new polished machine was gettin trashed in its first 5 miles haha) and I must say i'm loving it. Due to the CRAP weather ive only been able to do 48 flipping miles on it! Typical. But such a change. I changed one R1 in the past for a Vmax and that was a difference and a half, but I feel this is probably one of the best changes I've made. The feel of the vibrating engine, the riding position and the sound I just love. Will love the sound even more at my 600 mile first service as my Termi's are on their way from Italy! I just hope we get some dry weather so I can actually put the 600 on it soon!
Old 17-09-2008, 04:17 AM   #53
Mmick

G'Day,
Thought I would introduce myself, I'm from Australia (any othe aussies around?) near Sydney, have a 1997 M900 which has a few modifications to it, and the poor old motor is just about ready for a freshen up it has 75,000 klm on it and it gets thrashed quite regularly (nothin illigal officer, 'onest). I usually hang out with another web site (DMF) of mad monster owners which has quite a few people doing lots of stuff, but I like to find out what is happening elsewhere, so here I am trying to work my way through your web.

Mmick
Old 06-11-2008, 05:46 PM   #54
gixer ged

Hi i,m Gixer Ged.I,ve joined the club to meet other Monster fans & get some special bits for it too.I,ve had other V twins,TL1000S[fantastic],RSV Mille[rubbish],RS250 Honda,RS250 Aprillia,TZ250R Yamaha[race bikes,amazing!]& i also have a Firestorm.Yes,i like V twins.I do alot of rallys so may have seen my Monster,chrome anarchy A on the tank & the loudest pipes on the planet!!!Loud pipes save lives!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #55
ricky
5ft 3 of perfection!!

Bike: M620
hey mate were are you from?

drunk:
Northern Irelands answer to common sense-NORTHERN IRELAND REP!!
ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #56
TCar153

Smile

Hi all. These are my first tentative steps into cyberspace. I don,t know if anyone will even see this. Anyhoo...Am now pretty chuffed owner of new s4rs tricolore. Began biking in 1970 I think, on some kind of pressed steel frame Honda 150, a couple of cd175,s and my first "proper" bike a brand new Rd350 in brit racing green. That got nicked(still traumatised)got interesting Kawasaki avenger or samurai? thing then had cb400four for two or three years. More or less finally, ended up on GS1000 which I comprehensively dumped on a visit to I.O.M about 78 or 79. A particularly troublesome rd400 stopped the bike thing in 86ish but 07, saved pennies like child to buy tired but sound SV650. Liked it to bits, hooned, commuted year round, got lucky in an unlucky way, bought spankey new s4rs wondering if twas really what I wanted. It Is. I am like all enthused again! I havejoined this here club in the hope of learning from other members experience with Ducatis and if I can, to be a bit helpful to others who may feel as lost and helpless as I do with this PC thingy.
Old 16-11-2008, 01:58 PM   #57
Nonnie
Dipstick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCar153 View Post
Hi all. These are my first tentative steps into cyberspace. I don,t know if anyone will even see this. Anyhoo...Am now pretty chuffed owner of new s4rs tricolore. Began biking in 1970 I think, on some kind of pressed steel frame Honda 150, a couple of cd175,s and my first "proper" bike a brand new Rd350 in brit racing green. That got nicked(still traumatised)got interesting Kawasaki avenger or samurai? thing then had cb400four for two or three years. More or less finally, ended up on GS1000 which I comprehensively dumped on a visit to I.O.M about 78 or 79. A particularly troublesome rd400 stopped the bike thing in 86ish but 07, saved pennies like child to buy tired but sound SV650. Liked it to bits, hooned, commuted year round, got lucky in an unlucky way, bought spankey new s4rs wondering if twas really what I wanted. It Is. I am like all enthused again! I havejoined this here club in the hope of learning from other members experience with Ducatis and if I can, to be a bit helpful to others who may feel as lost and helpless as I do with this PC thingy.
I hear you! Welcome aboard. If you get stuck, then just holler and someone will help you.

Old 16-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #58
TCar153

Which is the holler key again? Thanks for answering. Love an Peas etc.
Old 16-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #59
Nonnie
Dipstick!

The holler key? You'll need to call technical support for that one I'm afraid. It's not my department etc etc.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:53 PM   #60
darius

Hi, i'm darius and since saturday i am a happy owner of monster 900ie
i live in chesterfield, currently covered by snow
well, just saying hello.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: