UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Forks & Upgrades?

Old 14-08-2019, 10:33 PM   #16
Flip

Bike: M900
......Part 2

Obviously with my Monster I was in a slightly different situation to you in as much as I had the horrible Marzocchi forks rather than the more 'up-gradable' Showas you have fitted.

On my forks one leg controlled rebound and the other compression and like many forks of this type they operate using a sealed (kind of) cartridge and so Maxton junk all that and replace the lot with a proper cartridge of their own design.

Over the years of Monster ownership I had tried lots of different things and the final thing before sending them off was to buy a pair of 888 forks to fit (from our very own Natty actually).

However, after talking to Richard at Maxton we decided the best route was to use my existing Marzocchi's, fit them with the basic (adjustable rebound only) GP20 conversions- and sell on the 888 units. They also re-anodised the outer tubes making them look like new again.

After getting them fitted, I was and still am over the Moon with them and wished I had done it years earlier.

Maxton's service was great- always happy to advise should you need it- they may not be the cheapest and I am sure many, many people have their own thoughts and preferences which I am sure work for them.

Ya pays your money and takes ya choice!
Old 15-08-2019, 07:45 AM   #17
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob
... I’ll see if I can find a link to some info on the shortcomings of stock Monster forks.
If you have time for a long read

http://www.thelasturl.net/ukmoc/Show...edit2_2011.pdf

originally posted by MonsterHPD on ducatimonsterforum but the original file share no longer exists http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/in...c=49759.5;wap2
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 12:18 PM   #18
stopintime

Bike: S2r
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/in...?topic=55303.0
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #19
slob

thanks Lars
Old 15-08-2019, 06:37 PM   #20
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopintime View Post
Thanks to you & Slob! That was very interesting. My engineering skills are not up to that level though so it will be a "pro fix" for my forks.

I have ordered the front wheel lifter for my Abba stand, so I will be able to check out the forks to confirm the adjuster is there. It will be a useful thing to have too.

Last edited by Jez900ie; 15-08-2019 at 06:43 PM..
Jez900ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 09:23 PM   #21
Flip

Bike: M900
That is a great piece on engineering and perseverance but you have to weigh up not only personal ability to carry out the task but also how much time you actually want to dedicate to it Vs having a bike that can be ridden rather than constantly worked on.

For further information here are the basics of how Richard at Maxton described the issues I had with the standard (fully adjustable) Marzocchi forks on my 900:

As standard the (Marzocchi- can't speak for Showa) forks feel very notchy and harsh and kick off small bumps, this is because they have too much compression damping over small movements.

However, when you brake very hard you may be able to feel the forks bottom out, this is because there is not enough support in the compression damping over large movements. This is exaggerated when braking hard on a bumpy surface with each bump compounding the compression until eventually you would run out of travel.

The other problem with the damping is there is not enough rebound damping which means when you let go of the brake the forks spring back at you and the bike does not turn into the corner as well as it should, this also causes the bike to run wide out of a corner.

The springs inside the forks are actually too hard and Maxton fit softer springs to suit your rider weight and also to suit the type of riding you do.

The biggest improvement felt is from increasing the rebound damping to control the forks extension, reducing the compression damping over small bumps to stop the forks kicking off them and increasing it over large movements giving more support with the spring.

rac3r had a similar dilemma to this at the tail end of last year and again there were plenty of comments and opinions:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ghlight=maxton
Old 16-08-2019, 09:03 PM   #22
Moco1961

Jez, this is an interesting thread, I am considering the same thing. I had in mind a visit to maxton at the start of the year for the north west group.i contacted Richard and arranging a visit is on the cards, fancy coming up for that one? You could see first hand what they do and talk to Richard about the improvements their upgrade can provide.
Old 16-08-2019, 09:47 PM   #23
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco1961 View Post
Jez, this is an interesting thread, I am considering the same thing. I had in mind a visit to maxton at the start of the year for the north west group.i contacted Richard and arranging a visit is on the cards, fancy coming up for that one? You could see first hand what they do and talk to Richard about the improvements their upgrade can provide.
Hi Moco1961

The thread has brought up some very interesting points and things to mull over. Its certainly giving me a better idea of how I get to what I want t from my suspension. This forum has so much knowledge & friendly folks.

I really must make it to one of your rides! Life has a habit of getting in the way of things but I hopefully will meet up at some point soon. It might not be at Maxton though as if the weather is fine mid week I will probably be there then. Then again with the rainy season seeming endless that could also change...
Old 16-08-2019, 11:28 PM   #24
Moco1961

Hi Jez,

It would be great if you can make it, how about bridge north on the 1st of September?

Just a heads up, Richard is at Caldwell this weekend then straight over to the island for the classics so won't be there next week, best phone before you make the trip.
Old 17-08-2019, 08:18 AM   #25
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco1961 View Post
Hi Jez,

It would be great if you can make it, how about bridge north on the 1st of September?

Just a heads up, Richard is at Caldwell this weekend then straight over to the island for the classics so won't be there next week, best phone before you make the trip.
Of course Richard & most of the Maxton boys will be away for the races. I didn't think about that! Thanks.
Old 17-08-2019, 09:26 AM   #26
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Does anyone think S4 & S4R forks are:

Significantly better than my Showas (maybe they are the same)?
Bolt on in a relatively straight swap?
An upgrade worth doing depending on cost?

Last edited by Jez900ie; 17-08-2019 at 09:37 AM..
Old 17-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #27
slob

Both should bolt straight in. 50/54mm tops and the same spindle size.
They may be over-sprung, since the water cooled bikes are a little heavier but I’m not sure.
As far as I’m aware they will both have the same poor valving issue as your forks.
The S4R has TiN coated stanchions, which in theory are better are than the plain old chrome on S4/your current forks, whether you’d notice any difference is debateable.
Probably not worth changing.
New oil is probably the best thing you could do for old forks (on a budget)

Last edited by slob; 17-08-2019 at 12:11 PM..
Old 17-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #28
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Both should bolt straight in. 50/54mm tops and the same spindle size.
They may be over-sprung, since the water cooled bikes are a little heavier but I’m not sure.
As far as I’m aware they will both have the same poor valving issue as your forks.
The S4R has TiN coated stanchions, which in theory are better are than the plain old chrome on S4/your current forks, whether you’d notice any difference is debateable.
Probably not worth changing.
New oil is probably the best thing you could do for old forks (on a budget)
Thanks for that Slob.

I was thinking that if they were a better design, I might purchase some and have them upgraded instead of mine... Given your information, I now won't consider it.

Gotta love this site.

Last edited by Jez900ie; 17-08-2019 at 12:33 PM..
Old 17-08-2019, 02:24 PM   #29
slob

the other advantage that might make it worth considering, is that it gives you a spare set of forks to send off for rebuilding while you can keep riding your bike.
Old 17-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #30
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
the other advantage that might make it worth considering, is that it gives you a spare set of forks to send off for rebuilding while you can keep riding your bike.

Now that is a good point. Though as I live close to Maxton, with proper notice I can have a ride in, ride out, one day instalation. They can drop you off at the railway station so a few hours around Chester and its all done! Impressive. For me that is another reason to use them -in addition to many others.

So using "Man Maths" that effectively takes another £250 off the price! Bargain.

Last edited by Jez900ie; 17-08-2019 at 02:52 PM..