UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » How about a Peak District ride?

Old 01-08-2019, 05:55 PM   #61
Moco1961

Thats a sensible shout Martin, if we have to re boot then thats what we will have to do...I notice there is a Dam on the edge of the Peak district which is damaged as a result of the recent heavy rain and they are thinking of evacuating Whaley Bridge.....is that on your route !!
Old 01-08-2019, 06:38 PM   #62
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
you’ll miss it by about three miles as you come over chinley head, stockport might me under water if the dam lets go though
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:09 PM   #63
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews...4BZ?ocid=ientp

That's truly frightening! They're not exaggerating. The way dams fail is by washing out the back, exactly as this one is doing. Not stopping the rubber neckers standing underneath to film it on their portable telephones though!!! Doh!
Old 01-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #64
Martin C
Bronze Member

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
you’ll miss it by about three miles as you come over chinley head, stockport might me under water if the dam lets go though
As Slob says, my route south from the Woodhead Pass goes somewhat east of Whaley Bridge to Chapel-en-le Frith - where I believe most of the evacuees from Whaley Bridge are being temporarily (I hope) located.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:44 PM   #65
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin C View Post
My iPhone’s weather app is usually pretty good, so I’ll see what it says tomorrow (Friday) morning and decide then. I really don’t want to do this run on wet roads, because there is likely to be quite a bit of gravel that has been recently washed into the road and pushed by 4 wheeled traffic precisely into my preferred riding lines!
If the roads are wet, takes the fun out of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco1961 View Post
Thats a sensible shout Martin, if we have to re boot then thats what we will have to do...I notice there is a Dam on the edge of the Peak district which is damaged as a result of the recent heavy rain and they are thinking of evacuating Whaley Bridge.....is that on your route !!
I agree, a re schedule may be a better shout, especially as the met are saying another heat wave could be on the way.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:41 AM   #66
Martin C
Bronze Member

POSTPONED: my latest weather forecasts for this Sunday are all saying some rain, so as far as I’m concerned this run has to be postponed, regrettably.
However, for this Saturday the forecasts are all saying dry (but cloudy), so if that continues to be the case then I’m happy to go on Saturday by myself - if anyone wishes to join me, give me a call anytime today on 07768-941222.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:18 AM   #67
Moco1961

forecast

..............forecast has got worse actually, thundery showers now on sunday !
Old 02-08-2019, 05:52 PM   #68
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Sorry you had to do this Martin, but it is for the best and to be honest I'm quite relieved.

Don't let this put you off organising runs and events for the club even if sometimes it doesn't work out as planned. Everyone will understand.

September would be a good time to look at this run again?
Old 02-08-2019, 07:26 PM   #69
Martin C
Bronze Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Sorry you had to do this Martin, but it is for the best and to be honest I'm quite relieved.

Don't let this put you off organising runs and events for the club even if sometimes it doesn't work out as planned. Everyone will understand.

September would be a good time to look at this run again?
Thanks, and it hasn’t put me off - I’ll be doing it on Saturday by myself quite happily. I realise that many of you have more commitments and demands on your time than I do, so no problem at all.
Mind you, I’ve just spent 2 hours in my courtyard replacing the Monster’s found-to-be-jammed-and-leaking rear tyre valve assembly (I keep spares), using an old truck valve-spring compressor with fiddly blocks of wood in order to - eventually - break the tyre bead in-situ and thus get to the blasted thing, without removing the wheel.🙂 Fortunately, I can still remember how to do this sort of unexpected last-minute stuff! The downside of that tedious task being necessary is that I was then unable to simultaneously sunbathe and do my VAT return.☹️
Old 03-08-2019, 12:18 AM   #70
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Probably the best decision Martin.
I'm still interested, so have a ponder on some dates.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:42 AM   #71
Martin C
Bronze Member

Having done this ride yesterday on my own (sunny and dry!), I can confirm the complete curcuit from my house (Swadlincote) is 152 miles, and takes at least 5 hours including 3 x 15 minute stops. With a group it will of course take longer, probably about 6 hours. It’s a jolly good day out!
Old 04-08-2019, 09:03 PM   #72
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin C View Post
Having done this ride yesterday on my own (sunny and dry!), I can confirm the complete curcuit from my house (Swadlincote) is 152 miles, and takes at least 5 hours including 3 x 15 minute stops. With a group it will of course take longer, probably about 6 hours. It’s a jolly good day out!
Great intel, what revised date are you thinking of for the run?
I love a jolly good day out!