UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Wanted and Offered :. » I want! » Duc owner looking for a Monster

Old 07-12-2016, 07:01 AM   #1
norvin998

Duc owner looking for a Monster

I'm looking for a good Monster 750 to 1000, one to ride rather than a project. Early styling ideally, pre '96 carby 900 or 750 my first thoughts but advice from the forum owners has made me think of later injected models too - S2R1000 for instance. I'm in the Manchester area, drop me a line with some info & pix as a pm or direct to mcgarry.mike@virgin.net
Old 19-12-2016, 06:41 PM   #2
norvin998

Now sorted out with a 2001 regd 900Sie, thanks for all the replies.
Old 19-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #3
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Woo Hoo! You got it.
Old 19-12-2016, 07:10 PM   #4
norvin998

Yes, just getting round to cancelling the ad, updating the profile & you beat me to responding to the PMs.
Its the same model as yours by the look of it - 2000model (probably) reg'd early 2001, Black paint & all the usual S bits plus high Termis & std OE cans. It is "fruity" to the point I may looking at dB killers. Now starts the search for the bits to make it a "user". Always have a Baglux cover to take a tank bag/map case so thats a "want" to post soon. And then a centre stand. Probably hard to find but if I could find one that fitted I can replicate a few.
Very pleased so far, insured from tomorrow
Old 19-12-2016, 07:14 PM   #5
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
A centre stand! Gazza I think you've found your BFAM

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 07:24 PM   #6
norvin998

Finding someone with an original accessory stand for the 900ie to copy would be the starting point and convincing them to lend it out the next hurdle. After that I've very good contacts for tube strangling, welding & fabrication plus laser cutting for any bracketry & spring winders for the return. Restoring unknown (to many) Moto Parillas where spares are virtually non existent has led me to track down people with those skills & develop some myself.
Old 19-12-2016, 07:54 PM   #7
Flip

Bike: M900
Well done on finding a Monster- we need pictures of course.....

Nah not of the Monster- they're everywhere- the 'Parillas please. I bet none looked like the new ones

http://hiconsumption.com/2016/05/car...-moto-parilla/
Old 19-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #8
norvin998

Some pushbike nerds bought the name.... I've got a little website devoted to them. Out of date as Microsoft kindly made the programme I used to build it obsolete & I now cant update it. Any skilled webmasters out there?

www.motoparilla.co.uk
Old 19-12-2016, 08:33 PM   #9
Flip

They certainly are pretty little bikes- I became aware of them when I started classic racing in 2012.

Although I've never seen one raced, there were a couple paraded when I did festival of 1000 Bikes that year.

Nice pics of the racers- it's funny there are references to the Eastern Creek races as among results from various UK meetings I also have lots of result sheets from there in the paperwork for my Mach 1 that suggest it may have been raced there too but nothing conclusive to prove it. Odd they're there if it wasn't though eh?
Old 19-12-2016, 08:46 PM   #10
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I'm really happy you got the bike norvin. If you take to it like I have to mine, you will be smitten.

Re centre stand. Yes I think every bike should be able to stand upright on it's own legs. I am fairly sure that my Ducatis are the only bikes I have owned without one.

I have tried to fit one to mine (An ST2 one). It's stacked against you I'm afraid.
On a standard bike the exhaust gets in the way and you have to grind a big lump out of each bracket. On the Sie you also have a rear mudguard extension below the swinging arm which gets in the way of the brace (okay just ditch the extension, but it's a special Sie bit).
Then you have the brake toque rod fouling the right stand leg. It must be possible to bend the leg outwards to clear then adjust the length to sit level.
At the front right had side the centre stand needs to use the same bolt holes in the crankcase that the torque rod front bracket is already using. I thought that the stand bracket could be modded to take the torque rod aswell

Unfortunately I gave up and sold my ST2 stand to another member who I understand managed to persuade it to fit a Monster... I know not how.

If you succeed I would be very interested in buying one.

Smiffyraf has a nice stand on his M1000... I think it might be an original Monster accessory?
Old 19-12-2016, 08:52 PM   #11
Flip

Centre stands certainly were an official accessory for the early bikes (not sure if they'll fit all the models) as there is one listed in my original 1997 Accessories catalogue that came with my bike when it was new.
Old 19-12-2016, 09:58 PM   #12
norvin998

That was me at Mallory! Two of us on little 175s. Mine a factory proddy racer for the MotoGiro & my pal on his road bike.
Old 19-12-2016, 10:13 PM   #13
norvin998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Re centre stand. Yes I think every bike should be able to stand upright on it's own legs. I am fairly sure that my Ducatis are the only bikes I have owned without one.

Smiffyraf has a nice stand on his M1000... I think it might be an original Monster accessory?
Yes, I dont get it either. Probably a generational thing. I dont have recovery - I fix stuff at the roadside, punctures are not a showstopper, oiling a chain adjusting it & checking wheel alignment are jobs which may be needed on a trip. Spinning a wheel to check for tacks/splits in the tyre, getting the front wheel out without having to have yet another paddock stand...the list goes on.

The key is getting someone to lend a stand which has the basics worked out for a similar model. I did one for my road reg'd 750 TT1 utilising the threaded holes in the cases - no frame attachments & used a Pantah stand. No exhausts/linkages in the way although the torque arm for the rear brake shared a fixing.
Old 19-12-2016, 10:36 PM   #14
smiffyraf1
Silver Member

Bike: M1000ie
it is useful! congrats on the purchase. youll never look back
smiffyraf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 11:58 AM   #15
Nottsbiker

I've got the accessory centre stand so if you are ever passing by Nottingham you are welcome to call in and take a look at it.

Longer term it will be going on my non-S 900