UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » M1200R alternatives

Old 14-08-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
M1200R alternatives

Have any members tried a different tyre on a 1200R yet?

Whilst Super Corsas are a top notch track tyre (which is generally the benchmark for all others) and great on Italian back roads when it's 39c in the shade, they can be more than a little scary on a cold, wet, greasy British road and was wondering what alternatives might be recommended...
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 05:15 PM   #2
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
I've not changed the tyres on my R yet, but on the std 1200 I ran, the tyres were changed for Dunlop qualifiers. Much more predictable on a cool day, with good feed back.

Last edited by Grumpy; 14-08-2017 at 06:13 PM..
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 05:28 PM   #3
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Have any members tried a different tyre on a 1200R yet?

Whilst Super Corsas are a top notch track tyre (which is generally the benchmark for all others) and great on Italian back roads when it's 39c in the shade, they can be more than a little scary on a cold, wet, greasy British road and was wondering what alternatives might be recommended...
Agree they are dubious in the wet to say the least. That being said I'll probably stay with them.

More to the point, why do you ask? Have you made a purchase?
Old 14-08-2017, 08:07 PM   #4
SteveG

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
?.., they can be more than a little scary on a cold, wet, greasy British road and was wondering what alternatives might be recommended...
Ahh yes.. I remember you followed me over Dartmoor & into Cornwall in less than dry (errr ...Monsoon? ) conditions Rob... We weren't motoring fast but the SC's were not confidence inspiring.

On previous Ducati's I have always been impressed by the Bridgestone offerings and may well consider them when change due. I have heard that these 3 are well rated.

Bridgestone Battlax S21
Pirelli Diablo Rosso III
Metzeler Sportec M7 RR

When I change I'll report back... sorry only half an answer for now.
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 09:31 PM   #5
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
Ahh yes.. I remember you followed me over Dartmoor & into Cornwall in less than dry (errr ...Monsoon? ) conditions Rob... We weren't motoring fast but the SC's were not confidence inspiring.

On previous Ducati's I have always been impressed by the Bridgestone offerings and may well consider them when change due. I have heard that these 3 are well rated.

Bridgestone Battlax S21
Pirelli Diablo Rosso III
Metzeler Sportec M7 RR

When I change I'll report back... sorry only half an answer for now.
I have the Metzeler Sportec M7 RR, and whilst my riding on that day was less than impressive, the tyres kept me on the bike whilst I was colder and wetter than a cod in the North Sea.

Done a fair bit of spirited road riding on them too, and they handle it all well, had no incidents or stained under pants experiences that I can recall.
jonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #6
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzi View Post
I was colder and wetter than a cod in the North Sea.
That would explain the massive fish tail on one of those cattle grids... Surprised that your pants survived that...

I haven't got a 1200 nor ever tried the Pirelli Angel GT, but I reckon they would go together well?
Old 15-08-2017, 07:54 AM   #7
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
Angel GT's are standard fitment on Super Dukes with 150+ BHP. I've also seen Michelin PR3's fitted to a GSXR1000 in a clubman race at knockhill (always cold and wet!). People riding bikes at the sporty end of the spectrum tend to stick to sports tyres. As you say all well and good on a warm sunny trackday, not so good in real life riding conditions.
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 08:35 PM   #8
gazza77

I'm liking Metzeler 01s at the moment, though mine is a boggo 1200, not an R.
Old 16-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #9
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
I've tried the Rosso Diablo 3's which were pretty good on my Triumph, not the longest wearing tyre but definitely better than the Supercorsa's for the UK. If you want to stay sporty I'd go with those.
I've heard very good things about the Metzeler 01's as a slightly sportier version of a Michelin PR4's, with long life and better suited to the UK.
They'll be going on my bike next. And at the moment you can get a £30 credit with Metzeler.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #10
Wildfire

I'll echo JP. If the 821 comes back I'm going for the Metzler Roadtec 01's. If it was mainly a dry weather use, it would be the Rosso 2's. Iu have them on my MV and they are a massive jump over the 2's and much more flexible than Supercorsas.
Old 16-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #11
Fraser

tyres

Got 2300 miles on stock rubber. Had to find new ones in middle of France and could only get Dunlop GP racers which have lasted less 1500! my current replacement idea is the Metzeler Sportec M7 RRs
Old 11-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #12
Fraser

Smile M1200R tyres

quick update. Just done a few laps of the Nurburgring on the 1200R and can highly recommend the Metzelers. Seem like a great everyday tyre and hoping they last longer than the stock tyres too which only gave me 2300 miles
Old 15-04-2018, 06:36 PM   #13
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

So did anyone try a 200/60 tyre yet?

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 08:35 PM   #14
Stinger101

Bike: M1200s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint aka ML View Post
So did anyone try a 200/60 tyre yet?

200/60 17 are currently only race inspired items. They may be appearing on some high end exotica, Panigale V4 to name one, but not yet available in road orientated items. A longer chain than standard may be needed if you fancy fitting them on a current M12R or similar with a 6" rim and it will raise your rear ride height. No harm in the later case! I'd like to see it when someone inevitably does it.

Last edited by Stinger101; 15-04-2018 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: Spelling......
Stinger101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #15
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Was XDiavel not 200/60 as well? Also with v4 out options will soon be there. Power RS confirmed one soon.

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote