UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » 796 - weird starting issues

Old 07-08-2017, 11:44 AM   #1
CAR

796 - weird starting issues

So I have a monster 796 2014 plate with termigoni pipes and the fermi re-map

It seems to struggle with starting, this happens more often where there has been a change in temperature (I think) but don't have any hard basis for that conclusion.

Issue is press ignition - all sounds as normal initially but just before it would ordinarily turn over it cuts out.

I have seen other threads where people talk about taking the key out/switching on and off and (so far) this has always worked eventually but it is quite annoying so wondering if anyone has cured it/got any other suggestions to resolve?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-08-2017, 12:05 PM   #2
DukeSixNineSix

Hey there.

I've got a 696 which seems to be a little fragile when cold starting, but It seems inherent with this series of engines. Do you have the fast idler pulled towards you when you start the bike?
Old 15-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #3
Shuffy

Probably the biggest culprit here are the starter leads, assuming your battery is good order. I put a replacement set on from Exact UK and that definitely improved things. Also, when starting do the clocks reset i.e. trip and time etc? Mine did this, but Alec at Ducati Proteam put an additional earth on the ECU which cured it. If you look online, that is also a common problem that no one really got the bottom of. If your's does that, a simple external earth lead is with doing. I tried the key 'in and out' too, but to be honest I don't think it actually does anything. Hope all that helps.
Old 23-08-2017, 07:47 PM   #4
CAR

Thanks shuffy - have booked it in to get the starter leads upgraded so will update this thread to confirm if it sorts it shortly!

At duke 696 the 796 doesn't have an idle adjust on the bars I don't think
Old 23-08-2017, 08:28 PM   #5
Paul_

Bike: M696
One thing to maybe try would be to start the bike and let it idle upto 3 bars engine temp, do not touch the throttle at all during the process. I read in another thread on here this has something to do with resetting the tps. Worth a go and a free cost option to see if that makes a difference.

Is you battery holding a charge? If not it may not have enough to turn it over properly.
Paul_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #6
CAR

Cheers Paul - will give that a go tomorrow
Old 30-08-2017, 09:24 AM   #7
CAR

I tried the above but after more than 10 minutes of idling it was still only at one bar so not sure the above is an option
Old 27-09-2017, 09:25 PM   #8
EvoStevo

Had the same issue with my 2012 Monster 1100 EVO. Took it to Riders Bristol who put it on their diagnostics machine and advised that the starter clutch was on it's way out and that there were a couple of burnt out connectors. Looking at @ £1400 to put right. Then took it down to Tim at Moto-Vation who had seen similar issues before, checked it all over, advised putting a new wiring loom in, and hey presto, not had a problem starting it in about 2 months (I just know I'm going to regret saying that :-)). Took the opportunity of upgrading the ECU at the same time. Cost, about £500 all in. :-)
Old 28-09-2017, 06:17 PM   #9
jonyb

has it only done it since the re-map?
had my 796 re-mapped , they disconnected the lambda sensors and adjusted the fuelling accordingly.
might be a fuelling issue?
Old 03-02-2018, 08:12 AM   #10
CAR

Sorry!

Hey guys
Sorry thought I updated this post

Steve at farnborough MC replaced the wiring loom connectors and aside from very occasional issues (damp/cold - riding year round) the issue has been resolved

Well worth an initial check and Steve was great - only charged his time at £40 all up - strongly recommended
Old 03-02-2018, 10:48 AM   #11
jonyb

which loom connections? good fix and cheap too.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:36 PM   #12
CAR

He said he did them all, it was a very cost effective switch and he said it’s not the first time he’s seen it work on these bikes...