UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Another one from Norfolk

Old 24-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #16
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodeye View Post
Yes. Buy all these things in liquid form if you can and put them into hand spray bottles (old window cleaner spray bottles etc) as it is much cheaper. Aerosols are expensive when you compare how much actual product you get.
Old 25-05-2017, 12:04 AM   #17
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Bestest, and also cheapest solvent cleaner is paraffin.
Applied with a half inch paintbrush.
Cut the bristles shorter for a stiffer scrub.
Use old toothbrushes for detail scrubbing.
Wipe it off with cheap kitchen roll from the local pound shop @ 4 rolls for a quid.
Its worth putting a holder for these on the shed wall.
Any residue is somewhat oily and leaves residual protection.
And unlike Gunk (which I used every week throughout the 70s) you don't need to wash it off.
The smell isn't too bad either .. though its probably best to wear gloves.

For less mucky areas I like GT85 myself.
Used as above or sprayed onto the kitchen roll and wiped over the surface.
In fact I probably use this more than the paraffin.
It leaves a dirt repellent ptfe coating.
Got my last 3 cans very cheap from Aldi, but they only have it occasionally.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 10:35 PM   #18
goodeye

Am missing 1 tank cover bolt, anyone know where I can get one?
Old 28-05-2017, 11:54 PM   #19
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
If it's the small allen screw that holds the panel on (also used on the cover round the fuel cap), you want part no. 77350393B. If it's the one down by you knee, make sure you still have the small, silver aluminium top hat spacer washer (71614081A).

Give Craig and Luke a ring at Moto Rapido 01962 873981 they usually have a few in stock (75p last time I bought one).

The replacement screw will come with threadlock preapplied.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #20
goodeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
If it's the small allen screw that holds the panel on (also used on the cover round the fuel cap), you want part no. 77350393B. If it's the one down by you knee, make sure you still have the small, silver aluminium top hat spacer washer (71614081A).

Give Craig and Luke a ring at Moto Rapido 01962 873981 they usually have a few in stock (75p last time I bought one).

The replacement screw will come with threadlock preapplied.
Dude, you are awesome!
Old 05-06-2017, 07:52 PM   #21
goodeye

so the bike is off this weekend getting some much needed tlc, new belts, filters, plugs, new rear tire and new brake pads.

the thing is going to cost me a small fortune however it will be ride ready soon and ready for the next season or two.

i think it would be cool to get lots of carbon however i will keep an eye out for a new ecu to go with the pipes and some new rearsets as i dont really like the oem ones.

cant wait to get it back!
Old 06-06-2017, 12:59 AM   #22
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
You're in for a treat when you get your bike back on the road, goodeye.

If you're looking for rearsets, check out this thread; there are some Chinese Sato copies that are really cheap...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=54920

For pointers on what carbon fibre is available and from where, have a look here; most of what I've fitted will also fit your 696.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=55168

And, as far as a replacement ECU is concerned, I'd recommend instead sending your original to Neil at Cornerspeed (see post #13 in the above thread). It may well be cheaper than sourcing a used DP ECU and the result will, in my opinion, be better.

Enjoy your Evo!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:10 PM   #23
goodeye

The bike is back!

Carl dropped it back tonight, they collected it, serviced it and dropped it back (at like 8.30 this evening). I understand why he has such a good reputation.

Bike had a new rear tire, brake pads, full big service as well as a new battery and the shims done. Was expensive but not as much as I feared. Will be eating only tesco value beans for the rest of the month but happy to have the bike back and ready to ride.

Will report after a blast into Cambridge tomorrow, praying for clear skies
Old 08-06-2017, 09:12 AM   #24
goodeye

great blast into Cam this morning from Norwich. bike was great and performed perfectly. looking forward to updates when i can afford a few extra bits and pieces. let me know if there are any ride outs etc as it will be good to meet other owners and shoot the breeze.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:21 PM   #25
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodeye View Post
Will be eating only tesco value beans for the rest of the month
You should get a bit more power from that?

PM me your email address and I will put you on my mailing list of Norfolk UKMOC members. I send out a mail shot whenever there is something happening.
Old 19-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #26
goodeye

Ok 2 questions,

1, am looking to get my ecu flashed to match the termi pipes. What kind of gains would I expect from this? Trying to justify the cost.

2, as the monster is air cooled, if you have to do a bit of filtering on a hot day like today the bike gets pretty hot. There is no fan like on a liquid cooled bike to stop it over heating so what do you do? Is it just the case you have to stop by the side of the road and wait for it to cool down if you think its getting too hot?
Old 19-06-2017, 11:06 PM   #27
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
You would be surprised how hot they can get and not be too bothered. A water cooled bike will boil up and ring all the alarm bells, but your air cooled jobbie will soldier on.

Probably the worst thing to do is stop.. Sure if you are forced to stop turn off the engine, but the best thing is to keep moving air over the engine.. The more the better.
Old 20-06-2017, 12:54 AM   #28
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I've run my 750 in Italy on a couple of occasions, in weather hotter than we're having now.
So hot that stopping anywhere, even for an instant, required a shady spot.
...... its natural habitat ?
I would agree that the heat doesn't seem to be a problem .. as long as you're moving.
I generally kill my engine if I'm expecting a longish wait at traffic lights etc.
Mostly that's to stop overheating, but it also reduces city pollution a micro-tad, and shows a social conscience re. the unbaffled termis.

On a related issue...
When I bought my bike, it had a full bellypan which enveloped the front exhaust header.
The heat retaining effect of this was very noticeable, with great waves of hot air rising up at me whenever I stopped.
A smaller, Monza type which leaves the header exposed is a better bet, I reckon .. as is now fitted.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 09:48 PM   #29
gremlin

We use Scottoiler F365 on our bikes. It can be put on after washing and does a pretty good job at keeping corrosion at bay. Other half swears by it. If you're in Norwich at any time, pop in to ABC Motorcycles for a coffee and a chat. I'm there on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays and alternate Saturdays. This Saturday being one of them. Having said that as of next Friday we'll be away for a couple of weeks as we're off to the home of Monsters for a couple of weeks. Hope you enjoy the bike, they are awesome.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: