UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Monster 1100 (Showa) suspension settings

Old 16-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
gbrown

Monster 1100 (Showa) suspension settings

Found my new (2009) Monster 1100 (not S so Showa suspension) to be quite harsh on even normally bumpy roads and over man hole covers and the usual lumps and bumps. I decided to take a look at the suspension and tyre settings and check the recommended and current settings before softening things off a bit. I have put together a spreadsheet and would be happy to post it and compare settings with other Monster 1100 users. I am 12 stone and usually riding on my own without much luggage (a back pack perhaps).

The manual is quite helpful in saying what the settings should be and showing how to measure/read them, apart from the rear shocks preload, where it just says the recommended setting is 18mm but doesn't say where to mesure it from. Does anyone know where this 18mm should be measured from?

The obvious measurement is from the start of the thread to the top of the last adjuster, where the spring sits against it, which on my 1100 is 23mm. Does this sound right? I have softened all the rebound and compression and let a bit of air out of the rear tyre (which seemed high at 40 psi) but it still seems very hard.

My brother, who used to have a S4R, had a long ride on it after I had softened it a bit and although he is 2.5 stone more than me he described it as definitely as hard as he would want it. I think I have plenty more room to soften it up without spoiling the handling.

Once I know how to measure the rear preload I'll post all my settings.

Thanks,

Geoff
Old 16-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
2003 manual says measure 18mm at 'A'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg susp.jpg (27.9 KB, 174 views)
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
gbrown

That's the front suspension, I was wondering what the equivalent is for the rear shock, i.e. how to measure "A" for the rear shock preload.

Geoff
Old 16-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I'd do it by measuring sag, with help from a friend, as described here
http://www.ohlins.com/Products/Owner...M_07241-02.pdf
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
Starter Sprag

Rear shock preload

The 18mm is the difference between the spring 'free-length'

and the 'compressed' / 'loaded' length

In other words, wind collars completely off, measure length of spring ~ free-length

then wind collars on, to compress spring by 18mm
Old 16-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
gbrown

Thanks,

Geoff

Tags
1100, monster, settings, showa, suspension