UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hello & help

Old 22-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
eedubya

Hello & help

Hi All

I'm an excited owner of a M900ie, one of the matt black jobbies. I rode it for a 6 months almost daily until a muppet black cab gave me flying lessons. That was a year ago. The bike was fixed quickly and has been sitting in storage waiting for life to settle enough to get it all legal again. Life hasn't settled but I want to get on the thing again.

But I'm a muppet too, and this is where I need help. It won't start. It turns over but doesn't fire. The spark is fine but I can't smell much fuel coming thorugh. The fuel was refreshed about 4 months ago but I fear after interwebbing lots it may be old fuel blocking the injectors. What do you reckon? Is there a cure that doesn't need £300 each for new injectors?

E
Old 22-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
More likeley the fuel pump than the injectors, they seem to die for no reason, usually when left dry though. Can you hear it whirring as it primes when you turn the ignition on?
Have you tried fresh petrol or spraying EZ-Start in the airbox? petrol can go off if left for more than 6 months, depending on storage conditions.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
Trent

Good point about the fuel pump...

One of our Monsters sat for quite a few months and when we tried to start it the fuel pump wasn't "whirring".

Pulled the fuel pump out and it was caked full of stale petrol that had solidified, hence the pump motor couldn't turn.

Cleaned out all the gunk and it worked OK, although I did throw another pump in later just to be safe.

The 916 etc pump is the same (I got a cheap one off ebay), although you have to mix and match the filter, hoses, mounting etc from the Monster one.

Like Slob says, listen for the fuel pump whirring when you switch the key on.
Old 23-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
Big Daft Lad

Bike: M600
Before you start messing about taking pumps to bits my 748 fuel pump relays play up tim to time.

I'm assuming FI Monsters will have a relay as well? If so just take it out and tap it on the frame then replace it. Worth a try.
Big Daft Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
eedubya

I'd like to not be the injectors so although the pump does whir as it primes but I'll have another look to see if it is working. I've not tried the EZ start either. I'll give these combos a try with to the minute fresh fuel this weekend........

Last edited by eedubya; 28-10-2008 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: appalling English
Old 09-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
eedubya

Hi All

With one thing or another I've only just got around to taking your advise. Still dead. Even had it on a friend's roller starter machine. So its got to come apart. Does anyone know where I can get a workshop manual?
Old 09-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
MagnaJeep

This is for carburetor models, but who knows, and don't forget to write down the password:

http://www.freepdfmanual.com/2008/06...rkshop-manual/

Hope your Monster will soon start again

Tags
fuel, starting, stored