UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Extended range fuel tank

Old 10-10-2015, 05:19 PM   #1
serialrisk

Extended range fuel tank

Hi all

I'm planning on a euro tour next year on my Monster S4Rs (with an exbox exhaust and power commander with custom map which hasnt helped the mpg) but the 80-90 mile range is not very practicle especially on the autobahns.

Has anyone commissioned a larger tank to be made and where they had it made, preferably in Scotland.

Another 5 litres would add a significant difference.

Thanks
Jim
Old 10-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #2
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
http://liquidcontainment.com.au/cart...ouring_Bladder

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:50 PM   #3
DrD

Get one from these guys ( Auldgirth, Dumfries ) http://www.thetankshop.com/
Old 10-10-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
not everyone's cup of tea
https://ca-cycleworks.com/ca-cycleworks-products/tanks
plus you'll get stung for import duty and vat

or

slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:56 PM   #5
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD View Post
That's great if you're not planning to tour until autumn 2016 because they have a 40 week delivery time at the moment.
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:15 PM   #6
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
I presume that you get 80-90 miles before you're on the reserve. So that's an actual tank range of 100-115 miles. Although that's not great I'd probably just put up with it. If you're riding for 400 miles you'll fill up 3-4 times. If you had an extra 4-5 litres in your tank you'd probably fill up 3 times, so not a big impact on a day's riding really.

I've done a lot of touring and although in the UK I might only get 115 miles before going onto reserve when in France/Spain I often get over 130 miles if I'm doing a lot of constant speed riding. The worst economy I got was about 90 miles before reserve when I was riding around Spain like a Spaniard. Also you can overfill the tank a bit and get an extra 10 miles or so.

These days with the help of a sat nav you're never likely to run out of petrol. The sat nav will tell you where the nearest filling station is.
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I have often thought it should be possible to remove the airbox and fit K&Ns or something similar, then move the battery and other gubbins further forward, so as to be below the frame rails.

Then you could weld a plate across the huge hollow in the bottom of the tank and gain the best part of a gallon capacity....Obviously piercing the hollow in a few places before closing off.

A bit more than a couple of hours work for sure! and no going back either, unless you have a spare tank.
Much cheaper than a custom tank though, for the price of a bit of inventive bracketry and a few cables.

I agree with Suneye about range. I can go 120 ish miles if I bimble about the local lanes, but if I can get into 6th and go somewhere, It will take me 160 or more miles.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 11-10-2015 at 09:22 AM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:56 PM   #8
pompone
MaleDucati

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD View Post
Good luck on getting anything build this side of 2017. Had a customer trying to buy a second tank from him. He only replies to post, no email, no phone apparently..

Last edited by pompone; 10-10-2015 at 09:59 PM..
pompone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:58 PM   #9
pompone
MaleDucati

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunEye View Post
That's great if you're not planning to tour until autumn 2016 because they have a 40 week delivery time at the moment.
Only just seen your reply ..
Old 11-10-2015, 10:13 AM   #10
serialrisk

Thanks guys. Yeah I had seen that guy down in Dumfries and the lead time did put me off. Might give him a shout though.

Those fuel bladders might be the answer!!

Can't weld, the Rs has a plastic tank....

I'll admit I have never done motorway miles on this bike but fuel light at 80 miles, that was 11 litres used(as per the petrol pump) but that was a decent run through the Scots highlands. That gives me about 33mpg. 14 litre tank that litre would only give me an extra 21 miles, which great on familiar roads but I'm no comfy with touring.

Last edited by serialrisk; 11-10-2015 at 10:23 AM..
Old 11-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #11
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
You might be surprise at the kind of mpg you'll get on a motorway cruise. My S4 (race ECU and open termi's - it's an official ex ducati race bike) will easily get 140/150 miles before reserve cruising at 80-90 mph. I would be surprised if your bike would be much less.
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:47 PM   #12
Flip

My advice first of all would be to strap a (full) plastic fuel can to your seat and with a full tank of fuel go out for a couple of hours. Ride the bike in your normal way until you run the tank out- then you will have a far better idea of the actual range and can adjust your riding/route with more accuracy.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:10 PM   #13
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
My S4 Foggy 916cc gets about 100 on a tank until reserve. Full Temi, DP ecu and custom PCIII map to sort out low rpm leanness. So its probably running a little richer (eg better than most with the same setup and I can get to work and back (60mile round trip) and probably back to work again (90mile) before the light comes on.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, petrol, tank