UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Just sayinhlg hello

Old 10-07-2021, 11:13 AM   #1
JaseB

Just sayinhlg hello

Hi, I'm Jason from Abingdon in Oxfordshire, taking my test in about 3 weeks as a late starter to biking and found a 94 Monster 600 on FB for a nice price so made the purchase, needs a few little bits doing before it's ready but can't wait
Old 10-07-2021, 11:39 AM   #2
JaseB

[IMG]https://photos.app.goo.gl/GLd6JKc8zJ1rr19PA[/IMG
Let's see if this works...]
Old 10-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:32 PM   #4
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
hello and welcome to the forum
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:34 PM   #5
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Welcome and good luck with your test. What a great first bike choice!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 02:08 PM   #6
Moco1961

Welcome along ,nice bike good luck with the test
Old 10-07-2021, 02:34 PM   #7
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
It’s very late in the year for snow that far south of Oxford!
Old 10-07-2021, 03:01 PM   #8
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Hello and welcome Jason.

Congratulations on your purchase, an extremely nice first bike.

I think that's the most original early M600 I have seen, certainly in that good condition anyway.

It looks absolutely spot on original. There are only two items I would question, well three if you count the cable ties on the frame.
It has a red tank/frame rubber which I have not noticed on a Monster before. Maybe someone has painted it?
It also has the carb heater pipes coming up from the front of the engine. It's unusual to see these fitted without an oil cooler, but I believe there was a kit to do so. Whether or not this was fitted from the factory or retro fitted will probably remain a mystery?
You will probably find a tap in one of the lines somewhere up under the front of the frame.
When the tap lever is pointing in line with the pipe it will allow engine oil into galleries in the carbs and in theory warm them a little bit to offset the effects of carb icing in cool damp conditions.
For the most part you will want the lever at right angles to the pipe to shut off the oil, but September onwards turn it on.

Nice find.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:56 AM   #9
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Welcome to the forum Jason. Bike looks in good condition for it's age. Good luck with your test.
Old 12-07-2021, 02:15 PM   #10
JaseB

Thanks everyone, and certainly interesting to know about the carb heater! There is indeed a tap underneath the tank. The bike has a nice patina about it, which I like.
I think someone has painted the tank at some point and probably those rubbers too sadly, I found some online, just need to decide whether I want them badly enough to pay 20 quid each
The use of cable ties extends to one holding the back seat on I think, I will find that in due course I'm sure.
Just needs a service, new back tyre (it's got a 2010 date stamp), a couple of float bowl gaskets, maybe a fork rebuild over the winter and I'm good to go, oh and I need that license obvs...
Old 12-07-2021, 05:03 PM   #11
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaseB View Post
Thanks everyone, and certainly interesting to know about the carb heater! There is indeed a tap underneath the tank. The bike has a nice patina about it, which I like.
I think someone has painted the tank at some point and probably those rubbers too sadly, I found some online, just need to decide whether I want them badly enough to pay 20 quid each
The use of cable ties extends to one holding the back seat on I think, I will find that in due course I'm sure.
Just needs a service, new back tyre (it's got a 2010 date stamp), a couple of float bowl gaskets, maybe a fork rebuild over the winter and I'm good to go, oh and I need that license obvs...
Another job that lifts the appearance is to give the exhaust pipes a good polish. Under that brown stain they are actually a pretty cheap stainless steel, which does take a shine if you work at it. Harpic drain cleaner is recommended by some (Yes, for real!).

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...exhaust+polish
Old 12-07-2021, 05:23 PM   #12
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I'm getting the impression that it may have stood for a fair while?
You're absolutely right to put new tyres on, 10 year olds would be asking for trouble even if they have plenty of tread, the rubber would almost certainly be buggered!

£20 each for those rubbers sounds like a rip off! Have you asked Moto Rapido if they have them? You can get a 10% discount by mentioning that you're a UKMOC member.
Before shelling out £40 I would try picking the red off those. It might even sand off. Or in a worst case you could just paint them matt black.

As well as the jobs you mentioned you need to find out how old the timing belts are. They are supposed to be changed every two years regardless of mileage. In fact low or no miles is worse for the belts than a high mileage as they apparently take a set around the pulleys.
Be aware of this if you are tempted to start it up every now and then to have a listen. Snapped belts will wreck the engine.
Personally I would change them even before warming it up to change the oil.

Clutch and brake fluid also does not store well unused and can turn into jelly in extreme cases, so it's well worth doing a fluid change if the age is unknown.

If you have been unlucky enough to inherit it with an old fashioned lead acid battery make sure the breather pipe is secure and leading out below the engine as they will spit acid over the frame and the top of the engine. Better still get a sealed, gel or AGM battery for no leaks and much better performance.

Finally to avoid a lot of potential grief, trace the two yellow wires from the alternator to the rectifier and check any connector blocks for corrosion and make the electrical connections clean and weather proof, or better still replace the connectors with something more modern and weatherproof or hard wire the connections. This is a known and common problem that causes rectifier failure and consequent flat or boiling battery. Even fire in extreme cases!!
Old 12-07-2021, 07:13 PM   #13
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

^^^ all good advice.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 10:20 AM   #14
JaseB

Thanks again, the belts date back to 2017, I've ordered new ones with the service kit, all OEM parts and all fluids will be changed as part of the service for sure. I will have a chat with Moto Rapido in due course re the rubber blocks, thanks for that, the tip on using Harpic and the alternator wires advice.
The previous owner had it for 4 years and did about 1000 miles so not completely stood still but not far off! He said he fitted a gel battery but I will check that when I can the seat off and tip the tank up properly, I think the stay is missing but again will have a better look at the weekend
Old 13-07-2021, 10:32 AM   #15
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaseB View Post
Thanks again, the belts date back to 2017, I've ordered new ones with the service kit, all OEM parts and all fluids will be changed as part of the service for sure. I will have a chat with Moto Rapido in due course re the rubber blocks, thanks for that, the tip on using Harpic and the alternator wires advice.
The previous owner had it for 4 years and did about 1000 miles so not completely stood still but not far off! He said he fitted a gel battery but I will check that when I can the seat off and tip the tank up properly, I think the stay is missing but again will have a better look at the weekend
I tend to use a block of wood or plastic oil can to prop the tank up. The metal prop is asymmetric, so puts a twist in the tank at the hinge. As that is a known weak spot where the weld cracks and then leaks petrol, it better to not use it.

It’s also best to try to only lift the tank when it’s near empty and when the bike is on a paddock stand to minimise stresses.