UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Insurance cockup with Swinton????

Old 26-04-2024, 09:49 AM   #1
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Insurance cockup with Swinton????

Tried to log on to my Swinton Bike insurance policy today ... but unable to do do so ??? they say my user name and password not recognised ,, but I have used them before , so I call them up quoting my policy number and they say yes you are insured with us ,, but we have lost your online details ?????????? wtf ,, and they have the old address when I informed them 5 months ago I had moved ,,but they cant update it as I have to do that online ???? they sent me a reset code ,, but its not working so still cant login blah blah

they did manage to answer one question ,, when im towing my bike on MY trailer it is still insured .....result
Old 26-04-2024, 10:19 AM   #2
jerry
Old Git

Still cant login to change address,, and even more annoying they just called me to say my bikes are not covered when on a trailer ,,,WTF ,, they just told me they are ????? Im so angry
Old 26-04-2024, 12:18 PM   #3
slob

your car (van) insurance should cover what’s on your trailer, but don’t assume that policy covers it unless you confirmed you’re covered for towing a trailer. first rule of gambling: the house always wins
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2024, 03:16 PM   #4
jerry
Old Git

LV the motorhome insurer say bike not covered but trailer is ,, and Swinton the bike insurer say bike not covered ...when on trailer Hmmm what to do next
Old 28-04-2024, 10:55 AM   #5
jerry
Old Git

anyone know how to get insurance cover for your motorcycle on your trailer????? I have spoken now with a couple of brokers but no result,, They all offer goods in transit insurance but it is not for private people .
Old 28-04-2024, 03:50 PM   #6
crawsue
Bronze Member

Bike: M1100evo
If the bike (s) being transported are insured then why should there be an issue…..if not insured then that might present a problem….I assume theft is the concern?
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 01:41 PM   #7
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
It's always been like that. When I used to ride enduros I found the car covered the trailer but not the bike(s), at times I would have my KTM 300 EXC, and my mates 250 and a 250 husky so quite a few quids worth as they were all under a year old.
It used to be that there would be whatever cover you had on the car, say comp BUT only third party on the trailer/content BUT as the bikes carried their own insurance they were not covered by the cars policy.
Any claim from that would have been a real PIA to deal with,
Given that mine was a sponsored bike I got some insurance through NFU that covered the trailer and the bikes, well the 'contents' of the trailer. The cover of that bit was way better than the car policy offered and wasn't invalidated by the cars policy. It was a bit biased in the wording to agricultural use so as well as machinery I was also good for livestock though strapping a few cows and/or shep onto the rails would have been fun.
NFU used to do all sorts of wierd and wonderful policies.
Old 29-04-2024, 04:37 PM   #8
jerry
Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawsue View Post
If the bike (s) being transported are insured then why should there be an issue…..if not insured then that might present a problem….I assume theft is the concern?
But the different insurers and Brokers I have spoken with all confirm that the bike is not covered when on my trailer even though its fully comp in all other respects ,, its only covered by insurance when classed as goods in transit say by RAC, Green Flag or AA or a commercial company . But I as a private individual cannot have that cover ,,,, its baffling ....

I suspect many other people dont know this issue .....if its on my personal trailer its not covered at all in event of accident , theft or any event ???? , as soon as its off the trailer its insured again .

Last edited by jerry; 29-04-2024 at 04:39 PM..
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2024, 04:13 PM   #9
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
It is a really wierd situation, the car insurance effectively cancels the trailed insurance even though it doesn't actually cover it.
Quite often if you look at the fine print you'll find the trailer only is given third party, often even if you have declared use.

Typical insurance stitch up and libility avoidance.