UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Desert Sled?

Old 23-12-2018, 07:15 PM   #1
maxxjod

Bike: M750
Desert Sled?

Just wondering if anyone has test ridden or owns a Desert Sled? And would share their thoughts.
I really quite like the look of it and love the complete lack of electrical gadgets that id never use. I'm vertically challenged in the opposite way to many, 6'4" with a 35" inside leg, so seat to foot peg distance is always an issue for me.

Some of you may remember that I had a yellow 750 monster that I loved but just couldn't ride anymore as it was to cramped for me. I work on Italian machinery and seem to enjoy most things Italian and would love an air cooled L twin again
maxxjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
Flip

Bike: M900
It may be worth giving Moto Rapido a call as I think they have a demo bike and don't charge to take one out unlike P & H at Creepy.

I think they look good but a bit too tall for my little legs- on my old DRZ400 (proper off roader though) I had to decide what foot I was going to put down and slide off the seat in that direction when coming to a halt riding on the road.
Old 24-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #3
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
It may be worth giving Moto Rapido a call as I think they have a demo bike and don't charge to take one out unlike P & H at Creepy.

I think they look good but a bit too tall for my little legs- on my old DRZ400 (proper off roader though) I had to decide what foot I was going to put down and slide off the seat in that direction when coming to a halt riding on the road.
I know the feeling. I once had a Honda NX650 that was rather tall for me - or I was slightly short for it...

Still I wanted a dirtbike and happily a cheap 1980 Suzuki TS185 in poor condition sneaked into my shed just yesterday. It will be a fair amount of work & money to get it back on the road, but I can almost smell the blue stroke already! Plus the seat height is what I would call ideal!

Heres a pic of what it should look like

Last edited by Jez900ie; 24-12-2018 at 06:10 PM..
Jez900ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 10:45 PM   #4
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez900ie View Post
I know the feeling. I once had a Honda NX650 that was rather tall for me - or I was slightly short for it...

Still I wanted a dirtbike and happily a cheap 1980 Suzuki TS185 in poor condition sneaked into my shed just yesterday. It will be a fair amount of work & money to get it back on the road, but I can almost smell the blue stroke already! Plus the seat height is what I would call ideal!

Heres a pic of what it should look like
I know them well Jez- my very first bike of my own was a TS50ER that I saved up my paper round money for and rode around my parents back garden until my sixteenth birthday when I could ride it on the road- Happy (carefree) Days!!

I almost bought a TS185ER a couple of months ago from a very well known parts supply company with two initials in their name who are based in Swansea.
It turns out the person who's name is 'M'ark not (&) 'P'aul buys and sells the odd 'classic' motorcycle- what it should be advertised as is 'death trap'.

Personally I could tell it was not worth the money he wanted and he was unwilling to negotiate (over the phone) but the thing that got me was I spent two hours in their workshop with a technician (who agreed totally with my findings) pointing out and going through all the things that another one of his employees should have failed it's MoT on- dangerously loose head bearings, play in the swinging arm, front brake plate wouldn't tighten up due to incorrect wheel spacers- the list went on.

Apparently they are under an awful lot of pressure to pass motorcycles bought by 'the Boss'

Anyway, my search will continue as I do fancy a bigger brother of my very first bike just 'coz.
Old 25-12-2018, 08:20 AM   #5
mickj

Bike: M1200s
My third bike was a TS250, great bit of kit that used to ferry me from Benbecula to Plymouth and back in the 70's.
Old 26-12-2018, 08:34 AM   #6
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
I know them well Jez- my very first bike of my own was a TS50ER that I saved up my paper round money for and rode around my parents back garden until my sixteenth birthday when I could ride it on the road- Happy (carefree) Days!!

Anyway, my search will continue as I do fancy a bigger brother of my very first bike just 'coz.
Mine was an AP50, like you I saved up money from partime jobs and proudly rode it at dawn on my 16th birthday!

I hope you find one, they aren't too common, but they are also not crazy money like most every other two stroke (though in good condition they are still double what they cost new).

WARNING: Carefree days green laning ahead!
Old 28-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #7
maxxjod

So popped into my local Ducati dealer to enquire about a desert sled, sales guy was helpful enough. Then came the question of do you have a demo bike? Yes but it has new tyres, it's got a bigger excess etc etc. Basically he wasn't really willing to let me ride it while the roads weren't 100%, I can kind of understand but not overly helpful.
The sales guy was selling it up and making it out to be this that and the other, then comes the turning point. Oh by the way if you take this bike off road you void your warranty, it's not an off road bike!! I politely pointed out that the sled has a different, reinforced frame and additionally the swing arm pivot is now on the frame rather than the engine. It's all in Ducati's advertising info that he'd kindly given me on the desk infront of us.
At this point I thanked him for his time and walked off out of the shop.
I fully understand that not every sales person knows about every bike, but to make such a black and white statement as he did really shows a lack of product knowledge.
Oh and your not allowed to service your own bike!?
Thinking I might contact Moto Rapido as at least they know what they are talking about.
Has anyone else every experienced dealer info like this?
Old 28-12-2018, 07:58 PM   #8
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Bike: M1100s
I know this won't be of much help but the sales guy at Ducati Manchester took their new demo home this week and has been out and about and is totally in love with it, if you look on the stores Facebook I think he's posted pics etc.
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 08:15 PM   #9
maxxjod

Hi Buzzbomb,
In someway it does help, I'm only really seeing positive vibes about it.
At the end of the day I have no issues traveling to get the right bike at the right price. I've got acces to a wide range of suitable vans at work for transportation.
Old 28-12-2018, 10:26 PM   #10
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Bike: M1100s
Jody I've had a scrambler FT for three years and it's a great bike and if you come up north I'm certain you'll get sorted.
I've PMed you
Geoff.
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 08:44 AM   #11
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
This looks to be the perfect vid for you........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtZIsKgYj8M
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 04:23 PM   #12
Doggy

Bike: M796
Watched that last night . Certainly looks good in the forest, if your'e brave enough to try ! .
Doggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #13
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy View Post
Watched that last night . Certainly looks good in the forest, if your'e brave enough to try ! .
Desert Sleds weigh 207kg, or 17kg more than my Monster. Offroading on one wouldn't be high on my list as an owner.